NITSCH x Schiit Pietus Maximus Release/Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #136 of 476
I've had the Jot1&2, Asgard 1-3 & Lyr1/2 and Lyr+. Albeit the least amount of time with the Lyr+. Jot 1 has a wall of sound approach but it really rocked with HD6. Jot2 was like a bowl, still liked it. Has it's weaknesses with anything airy. Asgard 1 was like a warm blanket with a diffuse stage. A2 cleaned this up quite a bit but was a little grainy/hazed, I still liked it especially with planars. Lyr+ is not the most detailed and I feel like the technical performance would have been better if they focused on either ss or tube. Tube was still better, high failure rate held it back. PM is my favorite as it sounds more resolving, detailed and genre capable/friendly than any of them. Lyr+ wins out on overall stage size, Jot wins out on grunty slam, but each amp trades more off in comparison to the PM.
In a twist to the testing plot, I'd like to see how the Pietus would compare to the Midgard, with Midgard in Balance mode compared to Pietus which is single ended. I spent some time yesterday comparing the Midgard in SE vs Balance mode and the latter was much better. That being said, I would assume the Pietus would be much better than Midgard if both used in SE mode. The plot thickens. Thank you.

Dec 15, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #137 of 476
Lyr+ wins out on overall stage size
I don't have Lyr+ but can confirm Lyr 3 is the largest stage size out of any amp I've used (gets even bigger with twin 6J5 tube).

But again....... as you've stated, there are other issues. You gain some and lose some.

At least from what I've read, Lyr 3 doesn't have the high failure rate as Lyr+.
That being said, I would assume the Pietus would be much better than Midgard if both used in SE mode. The plot thickens. Thank you.
lol to further complicate things, Midgard is neutral signature and Pietus is warm signature.

So it's like aside from technical difference there's also tonal difference that's up to preference. :joy:

This hobby is hard.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #138 of 476
I don't have Lyr+ but can confirm Lyr 3 is the largest stage size out of any amp I've used (gets even bigger with twin 6J5 tube).

But again....... as you've stated, there are other issues. You gain some and lose some.

lol to further complicate things, Midgard is neutral signature and Pietus is warm signature.

So it's like aside from technical difference there's also tonal difference that's up to preference. :joy:

This hobby is hard.
… if it were easy, one would move on … 👋

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #139 of 476

This hobby is hard.
I almost bought a Lyr + when they came out. Was not aware that they were having reliability issues. I'm sure that
Schiit will get them sorted out.

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #140 of 476
I almost bought a Lyr + when they came out. Was not aware that they were having reliability issues. I'm sure that
Schiit will get them sorted out.
I was following the Lyr+ thread for a while, and it seems like they have high failure rate.

But yes I think Schiit took care of it and some people just got a refund instead I think.

Dec 16, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #145 of 476
Oof, this with the MMB DAC card sounds like the ultimate all-in-one. Probably better than Asgard 3. But $750...I know that's not bad for what you're getting but I don't think I can spend that right now. :frowning2: I know these Nitsch x Schiit products tend to be limited edition, and I don't want to miss out...
I’d love to hear any impressions vs the Asgard 3 for anyone who’s heard both!

Dec 17, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #147 of 476
Would interested how it stacks up to the Geshelli A3 pro. Same price point

Dec 18, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #148 of 476
Really interested to see what people think of this amp. Looks promising. Been on the look out for a decent upgrade from my magni+. Hope this isn't a limited offer.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #149 of 476
how does the pietus compare to the rebelamp

Dec 18, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #150 of 476
For anyone on the fence, they've sold out of units with the ESS cards. I understand it's the same DAC module that's available directly through Schiit, but might be an indication that overall inventory is running low. I just ordered one without a DAC, so will gladly share some views on differences vs. the Asgard 3 to the best of my novice abilities when it arrives (which I know a few people have been curious about, myself included!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back