NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #1,096 of 1,642
It would seem to me that Christian would need to set aside built units and parts for use in exchanges, repairs, etc.

If the rate of repair is lower than initially anticipated he may then choose to use some of those spares he set aside to build a few more units.

Or, more of those 'special' transistors may have become available.

Or not

JC

Apr 13, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #1,097 of 1,642
I don't know specifically what parts are difficult to acquire, but I can tell you for my own projects the global transistor supply chain right now is very unpredictable. Parts will suddenly became available, then vanish in a week after they are snatched up. My favorite current regulator chip has been out of stock everywhere for two years, I've had to buy them on eBay, which is a crap shoot!

So it's not surprising they've suddenly been able to build more.

Apr 13, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #1,098 of 1,642
Mine is over 1000, 1073 to be exact
Received my order today: #1195
Just ordered one out of curiosity. Did the same with the Geshelli J2 Socketed DAC with Sparkos op-amps. Will probably take a listen and then end up gifting them both to my son for his DCA Aeons.

Not sure why people are up in arms over the ability of Nitsch to build more than 1,000 units. Sure, the initial run was 1,000 because that's what they had the parts for. It appears they now have more parts. Good for them!
I think you'll enjoy testing it out and your son will appreciate it too. It has a tube-like sound to my ears and the Atrium sounds nice on it like it's coming from an OTL. Also tried an Aeon 2 Noire and it is doing well with it too at the higher gain setting. Likewise I have headphone gear I'm getting ready to pass over to my three kids as they get old enough to appreciate the music through a good setup.
Grabbed one too for sake of curiosity. Very smooth and slightly bassy amp, compared briefly to Magni 3+ which played more treble forward and lighter in sound, smoothness is not there compared to Piety. My unit is 1082, preferred high gain, low gain was perhaps too polite.
Yep, agree the bass and smoothness is nice. Could be my old ears but I need it on high gain for it to open up the sound-stage.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #1,100 of 1,642
My curiosity got ahead of me and I ordered one. It is an international shipping to me, so I guess I have to wait quite a bit longer. This will also be my first personal Schiit unit, I have never owned one personally but I have experienced it a few times at demos and friend's setup. This would be very interesting, gonna throw all my planars at it.

Apr 14, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #1,102 of 1,642
I recently bought a Vahalla 2 and I'm currently using Amperex orange globes for the input tubes. I love this amp but I'd like to have another solid state amp. I sold my Asgard 3 and I'd like have a smaller amp. I'm thinking about the Magni+, I've owned a Magni 3 in the past. I'm tempted by the Piety but I read a few posts from the past that mentioned a "couseness" in the treble. The Piety is available so I'll make my decision today. I'd pair it up with a Modi Multibit 2. Nothing fancy on the headphones. HD600, DT-880 and DT-990, both 600 ohm. The Vahalla 2 loves those Beyerdynamic headphones.
UPDATE-I decided on a Piety and ordered one this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 14, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #1,103 of 1,642
My curiosity got ahead of me and I ordered one. It is an international shipping to me, so I guess I have to wait quite a bit longer. This will also be my first personal Schiit unit, I have never owned one personally but I have experienced it a few times at demos and friend's setup. This would be very interesting, gonna throw all my planars at it.
You’ll be surprised at how fast international shipping is with DHL. I ordered mine on 5th April and it got delivered to me on 8th April.

Apr 14, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #1,105 of 1,642
Not surprised. The Valhalla 2 puts out a lot more voltage than the Piety and is really suited to higher impedance headphones
like the Sennheiser HD6X0 series.

The Piety would perform better with lower impedance headphones where current is more important than voltage. For this reason I like it with the HiFiman HE4XX and Fostex T60RP and T50RP mk3 headphones. There's a synergy there. Particularly if a bit of equalization is used. EQ also helps the Piety with the HD6X0 series of headphones as well.

I really like the Valhalla 2 and IMHO it's certainly worth the money.

I'm surprised that the Piety does as well as it does when compared to the Valhalla 2, given that it's almost a third of the price.
The Vahalla 2 is fantastic and it just blows my 300 and 600 ohm headphones out of the park.
I wanted another solid state amp though. I sold my Asgard 3 and wanted something the size of my Modi multibit 2 so it came down to the Magni+ or Piety. I've owned a Magni 3 before, great hundred dollar amp, so I went with the Piety since they're in stock again.

Apr 14, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #1,106 of 1,642
I paired the Piety with an xDuoo TA-22 I'm testing out for a family member. The TA-22 has separate DAC and tube RCA outputs so it can be used to test with our without color from the TA-22's tubes. The TA-22 uses ESS DAC chips which from what I experienced so far are fairly neutral to leaning bright. The Piety does a fine job smoothing that out and adding the musical tubish characteristics. This is a nice combo for a desktop. I'm out of room on my desk hence why it is temporarily on one of my speakers. I may need to keep testing this for a while longer before passing it on. :darthsmile:

20230414_182945.jpg

Apr 14, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #1,107 of 1,642
How is the Piety in comparison with the Sen can sig? I bought my Zen can sig at a double price of the Piety. Tks
The Piety and Zen Can Signature HD6XX are both on the warm side. The HD6XX has a lot more power in balanced
mode. I prefer the Zen Can Signature HD6XX with my HD6XX and HD600 headphones and the Piety with my planars (Fostex T60RP and T50RP MK3 and Hifiman HE4XX). IMHO, both amps are a bargain for the performance they offer.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #1,108 of 1,642
I paired the Piety with an xDuoo TA-22 I'm testing out for a family member. The TA-22 has separate DAC and tube RCA outputs so it can be used to test with our without color from the TA-22's tubes. The TA-22 uses ESS DAC chips which from what I experienced so far are fairly neutral to leaning bright. The Piety does a fine job smoothing that out and adding the musical tubish characteristics. This is a nice combo for a desktop. I'm out of room on my desk hence why it is temporarily on one of my speakers. I may need to keep testing this for a while longer before passing it on. :darthsmile:

20230414_182945.jpg
I've only had two Sabre DACs and both were budget DACs. The Modi 3E and Topping D50s. The Modi 3E is the only Schiit DAC that I haven't liked. I wonder if it was rushed into production after the AKM fire? I'm curious about the Modi+ because it uses the same ES9018 but maybe Schiit has had time to perfect the implementation of the chip. I'm not going to make a judgment on Sabre DACs after only owning two budget models. I wonder how the Modius is with the ES9028 in it?

Apr 14, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #1,109 of 1,642
I've only had two Sabre DACs and both were budget DACs. The Modi 3E and Topping D50s. The Modi 3E is the only Schiit DAC that I haven't liked. I wonder if it was rushed into production after the AKM fire? I'm curious about the Modi+ because it uses the same ES9018 but maybe Schiit has had time to perfect the implementation of the chip. I'm not going to make a judgment on Sabre DACs after only owning two budget models. I wonder how the Modius is with the ES9028 in it?
I tend to prefer the AKM chip DACs over the Sabres. The differences are very subtle to me but the AKM's seem smoother, not as edgy. A good SS amp like the Piety or a Violectric can take that edge off no problem. Geshelli's implementation of the AKM in his JNOG2 is the best I've heard so far and my go-to DAC at this time.

Apr 14, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #1,110 of 1,642
The Piety and Zen Can Signature HD6XX are both on the warm side. The HD6XX has a lot more power in balanced
mode. I prefer the Zen Can Signature HD6XX with my HD6XX and HD600 headphones and the Piety with my planars (Fostex T60RP and T50RP MK3 and Hifiman HE4XX). IMHO, both amps are a bargain for the performance they offer.
Tks. It’s Exactly what I am using now as well. The zen sig for the hd6xx and the piety for the LCD2:))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back