NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #1,066 of 1,648
Just got a piety. All I can say is damn. I keep going A/B between my 300b and this tiny little thing. Amazing.
I have one coming and can't wait to do the exact same thing. :wink:

Apr 6, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #1,067 of 1,648
Joining the club soon, as I just purchased a Piety from the Nitsch site and can't wait to hear it. My first amp ever was the OG Magni (of which I still have) and I am really looking forward to hearing the evolution. Fun times ahead. . .
I also had an original Magni 3 which I always liked with my planars. Gifted it to a family member recently. The Piety
is IMHO, more tube like. Less restrained. Works well with my planars but also well with my higher impedance dynamic HD600
and HD6XX. Never really liked the Magni 3 with the Sennheisers, but always enjoyed it with my HE4XX and T60RP's.
Hope you enjoy the Piety!

Apr 6, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #1,068 of 1,648
Looks like a few or a couple more USA/CA are available again.
Haven’t had a lot of time with the Piety but my initial impression is positive. Plugged in my Audeze LCD4 and was impressed with the sound. Full disclosure, I do like a “tube” sound. Agree with previous comments about the Valhalla being the better of the two but for half the price, can’t complain.

Apr 6, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #1,069 of 1,648
Haven’t had a lot of time with the Piety but my initial impression is positive. Plugged in my Audeze LCD4 and was impressed with the sound. Full disclosure, I do like a “tube” sound. Agree with previous comments about the Valhalla being the better of the two but for half the price, can’t complain.
…. plus, at 200 ohms impedance and 97 dB/mw sensitivity, LCD-4 is a ‘toughie’ to drive …. good job, Piety !!

Apr 7, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #1,071 of 1,648
I also had an original Magni 3 which I always liked with my planars. Gifted it to a family member recently. The Piety
is IMHO, more tube like. Less restrained. Works well with my planars but also well with my higher impedance dynamic HD600
and HD6XX. Never really liked the Magni 3 with the Sennheisers, but always enjoyed it with my HE4XX and T60RP's.
Hope you enjoy the Piety!
My Piety sitting atop a Zen Can Signature HD6XX and a Zen Dac Signature version one. These headphone amp's run
cool, so they will be part of my summer system along with a pair of Sennheiser HD6XX and HD600 - all driven by an Amazon Fire HD8 Plus tablet. 😊

Attachments

• IMG_20230407_080703.jpg
    IMG_20230407_080703.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #1,072 of 1,648
Crazy (?) thought:
MMB -> Sys -> Rekkr -> desktop speakers -> MagPi -> Eta Mini C
Or my Little Bear switcher instead of the Sys. Is that the right location for it?
I would prefer the MagPi feed the Rekkr to get its honey there. Would that work?

MMB -> MagPi -> Sys -> Rekkr -> desktop speakers -> Eta Mini C

Apr 7, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #1,073 of 1,648
Crazy (?) thought:
Or my Little Bear switcher instead of the Sys. Is that the right location for it?
I would prefer the MagPi feed the Rekkr to get its honey there. Would that work?

If I understand you correctly, you're asking if the Piety can be connected directly to the Rekkr? The Piety preamp outputs are active,
so it can be used as a preamplifier when connected to the inputs on your Rekkr. This way you can use the Piety to power both
an efficient pair of speakers as well as your headphones without the need for the sys.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #1,074 of 1,648
Crazy (?) thought:

Like this?
DSCF0329.jpg

I've been testing Piety feeding Rekkr over the past few days. It's nice with my speakers (Argon0) in a nearfield setup at lower levels. Rekkr isn't really cut out for the Argons though so I plan to swap it out with something more powerful at some point. I'm also using my Oor prior to the Piety since I don't have an RCA switcher.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #1,075 of 1,648
…. plus, at 200 ohms impedance and 97 dB/mw sensitivity, LCD-4 is a ‘toughie’ to drive …. good job, Piety !!
Received the freshly-built Piety that will be a gift for my nephew (along with a pair of pre-loved Beyer DT-1770s, barring any hiccups with an ongoing transaction).

I plugged it into my extra SE outputs on my Gumby using a spare pair of Audioquest Sidewinder interconnects, plugged in my Eikons, and…

VOILA! Balanced, reasonably airy sound with very proficient deep bass and smooth treble. No comparison to my tricked-out WA2, but for $165? Damn good value, and likely on par with amps 2-3x the price.

Would I have paid 2-3x the price for the Piety? No- but mostly because I’m giving this puppy away after 150 hours of burn-in to a music lover with no setup. However, will it be a joy for him in coming years with a 250 Ohm pair of Beyers with Tesla drivers?

Um- do bears Schiit in the woods? 😜

If you need a small-footprint no-nonsense SS amp that skews to the warmer side of the spectrum and ESPECIALLY if you have a pair of cans that are high impedance and you don’t want to spend more than $250-300, I’d say “look no further”. Get this little gem and don’t look back…

You might have law enforcement in tow to arrest you for theft.

(P.S. Tried my son’s Beyer DT-770s with the Piety as well. Impressive for the money, but not my cup of tea per se as the “budget Beyer” is a bit harsh in the treble for my ears, even with the Piety’s smoother top end. I’m sure the DT-1770s drivers are much more refined in that range, though.)

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #1,076 of 1,648
I have a Piety on the way to me too, looking forward to trying this little amp. I've been on a steady diet of DIY tubes for quite a while, I think the last solid state amp I owned was a Violectric V100. I'm going to put it in my two channel system which runs a PCM63 DAC with a tube output stage and my vinyl rig into a tube phono (I cannot avoid the toobs). My speaker amp doesn't have a headphone out, and I do miss listening to my PCM63 DAC with headphones at times, so this little guy should fill that role perfectly.

Apr 8, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #1,077 of 1,648
Like this?

I've been testing Piety feeding Rekkr over the past few days. It's nice with my speakers (Argon0) in a nearfield setup at lower levels. Rekkr isn't really cut out for the Argons though so I plan to swap it out with something more powerful at some point. I'm also using my Oor prior to the Piety since I don't have an RCA ssw
Like this?

I've been testing Piety feeding Rekkr over the past few days. It's nice with my speakers (Argon0) in a nearfield setup at lower levels. Rekkr isn't really cut out for the Argons though so I plan to swap it out with something more powerful at some point. I'm also using my Oor prior to the Piety since I don't have an RCA switche

I have a Piety on the way to me too, looking forward to trying this little amp. I've been on a steady diet of DIY tubes for quite a while, I think the last solid state amp I owned was a Violectric V100. I'm going to put it in my two channel system which runs a PCM63 DAC with a tube output stage and my vinyl rig into a tube phono (I cannot avoid the toobs). My speaker amp doesn't have a headphone out, and I do miss listening to my PCM63 DAC with headphones at times, so this little guy should fill that role perfectly.
I have both a Piety and a Violectric V100. From a subjective standpoint, while the V100 is far more powerful, both headphone amplifiers have a very similar sound. Both sound more tube like than solid state and can be used for hours without suffering from listener fatigue. IMHO, the fact that the Piety costs just $149 and the V100 well over $1000 - taking into account for inflation - makes the Piety a great deal.

On an aside, what I was not expecting with the V100 is how nice sounding its USB Tenor dac card is.

It's only rated at up to 96 kHz, yet, sounds surprisingly good. Especially with how it produces the human voice. And in particular the female voice.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #1,078 of 1,648
I have both a Piety and a Violectric V100. From a subjective standpoint, while the V100 is far more powerful, both headphone amplifiers have a very similar sound. Both sound more tube like than solid state and can be used for hours without suffering from listener fatigue. IMHO, the fact that the Piety costs just $149 and the V100 well over $1000 - taking into account for inflation - makes the Piety a great deal.

Thanks for the comparison! I remember liking the V100, so good to know they are similar. Will be fun to see how tubey it sounds next to some tube amps I've got around here.

Apr 12, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #1,080 of 1,648
While it has been a while since I owned the Violectric V200, I would agree. The “sonic fabric” the V200 was cut from- i.e. its overall tone- was pretty similar to the Piety, from my recollection.

You could definitely own a Piety with well-matched headphones and a resolving, musical source and be happy with good reason. 👍👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back