NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #886 of 1,640
great feedback from you all!

something i’ve really noticed since joining here is that head-fi and the fb headphone groups have helpful, experienced, and patient users. the reddit headphone subs are very active, but you get a big mix of helpful and reactionary/zero-patience responses.

Jan 22, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #888 of 1,640
The MM2 was a bit edgy and grainy in the upper treble region when I first turned it on, but that settled pretty quickly and it now has clean detail in the upper region and tight solid roundness on the lower end. Don't know if it's brain burn-in, equipment burn-in, or both, but overall I'm happy with what the MM2 produces.
The multibit DACs Schiit makes do require some time to stabilize. Question is always, for each of them, how much?

How much time between the grainy and the clean detail, @mjstealey ?

Jan 22, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #889 of 1,640
i know nothing about Cayin. do any of you have a RU6 and have you tried it with a Magni Piety setup? for reference, here is the video i saw this amp mentioned on. looks known and popular, just not by me.

Jan 22, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #891 of 1,640
i know nothing about Cayin. do any of you have a RU6 and have you tried it with a Magni Piety setup? for reference, here is the video i saw this amp mentioned on. looks known and popular, just not by me.

Responded to a similar question on the RU-6 thread. I have the RU-6 and mainly use it with IEMs via my computer. However, I decided to try it with a Magni Piety for kicks this past Friday. The RU-6 does not have a dedicated line-out but yes it works. You can get a 3.5 mm to RCA cable, set the RU-6 on low gain and volume to 75. However, you would essentially be double amping and its generally not recommended.

Having said that, I'd rather get a Modi+ to pair with a Magni if budget for MM2 is an issue. I've tried the Magni Piety with both a RME ADI-2 and Schiit Bifrost 2 and to my ears, the differences are not earth shattering if I am being completely honest. (spoiler: the amp sounds good either way)

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #892 of 1,640
I can see why it is called shoegaze ! 😂

Share what you think of the MM2 when set up.
Supposedly the name shoegaze came from the guitarists in those types of bands constantly looking down to use their effect pedals while performing.

Recommended listening: the album “Loveless” by My Bloody Valentine

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #893 of 1,640
Responded to a similar question on the RU-6 thread. I have the RU-6 and mainly use it with IEMs via my computer. However, I decided to try it with a Magni Piety for kicks this past Friday. The RU-6 does not have a dedicated line-out but yes it works. You can get a 3.5 mm to RCA cable, set the RU-6 on low gain and volume to 75. However, you would essentially be double amping and its generally not recommended.

Having said that, I'd rather get a Modi+ to pair with a Magni if budget for MM2 is an issue. I've tried the Magni Piety with both a RME ADI-2 and Schiit Bifrost 2 and to my ears, the differences are not earth shattering if I am being completely honest. (spoiler: the amp sounds good either way)
LOL yes I was the one asking in the RU6 thread. Basically selling my Piety to my friend with the RU6.

He's basically banking on me selling him the MM2 too later LOL (which I'm still using so not yet). If not he might look for a MM1 somewhere.

Jan 23, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #894 of 1,640
LOL yes I was the one asking in the RU6 thread. Basically selling my Piety to my friend with the RU6.

He's basically banking on me selling him the MM2 too later LOL (which I'm still using so not yet). If not he might look for a MM1 somewhere.
do you have an mm1 too or just the mm2?

Jan 23, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #896 of 1,640
I had a MM1 a long time ago that I sold and tried a bunch of different gear in between and now I only have MM2 and SDAC.

Looking to try Denafrips Ares II or Musician Pegasus next lol (when I recoup some money, bank account dead after holiday).

oh you'll love that change, pretty much the route I took from Mimby 1 to Ares II to now Pontus II

Jan 23, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #898 of 1,640
oh you'll love that change, pretty much the route I took from Mimby 1 to Ares II to now Pontus II
lol awesome that's very re-assuring to hear! I find sometimes in this hobby spending more isn't always better, sometimes it's just "different".

So I was worried that WHAT IF I buy Denafrips Ares II or Musician Pegasus but still likes MM2 more. :cold_sweat:

Hopefully this works out LOL.
Hmmmm, either stay retired and goof off all day and enjoy the Modi Multibit 2 or go back to work and buy a Pontus II. Doing what I want to all day wins! :)
But work is so much funnnnnnnnnnnnnnn ~~~~~~~~~~~~ (sarcasm)

LOL otherwise yes totally understandable. :thumbsup:

Jan 23, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #899 of 1,640
The multibit DACs Schiit makes do require some time to stabilize. Question is always, for each of them, how much?

How much time between the grainy and the clean detail, @mjstealey ?
The initial grain started to resolve itself and settle after a few hours.
Straight out of the box the MM2 was literally and figuratively "cold" and after listening for a while I figured I'd give it some time to "acclimate". I turned the volume down, hung my headphones on the stand, and just let it play for about 6 hours before checking in again.

By that time it had already started settling and the detail was significantly better with minimally discernible grain. The stack was fairly warm, not hot, but borderline making me wonder if I should get some additional space between the units.
For a few days after that I left the MM2 on continuously but did turn the Loki and Piety off when not listening.

I mostly now toggle the whole stack on/off when listening, and after 30-ish minutes all things sound full-bodied and detailed to me (grain is completely gone).
Part of this is me simply re-acclimating my brain since I use different rigs between work and home, but the initial sonic changes while the MM2 was first settling in was definitely a thing.

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #900 of 1,640
I had a MM1 a long time ago that I sold and tried a bunch of different gear in between and now I only have MM2 and SDAC.

Looking to try Denafrips Ares II or Musician Pegasus next lol (when I recoup some money, bank account dead after holiday).
not the Ares II, but i do have the piety + musician draco....

Attachments

• piety+draco.jpg
    piety+draco.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back