NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #811 of 1,642
Man I love Piety. It presents some softer post rock and shoegaze with such a tender, bittersweet presentation. It's such an emotional sound that I just get absorbed into a world of obscure sorrows and other emotions that are just too hard to express with words. This amp is exactly what I dreamed of for HD800. Absolutely beautiful. Hopefully my Modi Multibit 2 (which was found, by the way) will contribute even more to these experiences. Should be here sometime this upcoming week. I'll keep you guys posted!

I have to admit I had to Google then Wikipedia “Shoegaze” …. then popped on Sonnet by Verve …. is that a good example if a bit more mainstream ? If so I get where you are coming from.

What are you doing for a DAC in the meantime ?

Jan 6, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #813 of 1,642
I have to admit I had to Google then Wikipedia “Shoegaze” …. then popped on Sonnet by Verve …. is that a good example if a bit more mainstream ? If so I get where you are coming from.

Look at Headache by Grouper. Perfect example of what i mean.

Jan 6, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #814 of 1,642

Oh right, I use motu m2 as a dac right now. Also sometimes my qudelix for when I want to EQ

Jan 7, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #816 of 1,642
After reading your post I spent a bit of time this afternoon comparing my ifI Diablo, which is my favourite all around DAC/Amp, with the Piety and a new Modi Plus which I haven’t used much with Christmas and the holiday period.

I was using HD600 and DT1770 (tweaked to reduce the bloated bass and cut their sibilant treble - now sounds very well balanced) both with Forza Audioworks cables, if that matters.

On a couple of female vocal songs from a Tidal playlist there was soft repetitive background percussion and repetitive drums being played somewhat softly with brushes, the female vocals obviously being the dominant sound in the mix on both tracks.

Compared to the Diablo the Modi Plus and Piety perhaps pulled the raspy sound of the percussion and brushes on the drums forward just a tiny touch.

The difference was slight, potentially imagined if I am absolutely honest, and for $280 versus the $1,000 Diablo the Schiit/Nitsch combo held its own very admirably indeed.

I experimented with the gain setting and I think perhaps on low gain the raspy sounds were not being pulled forward at all or at least less, again that might have been psychological.

For context, despite the Diablo being battery powered, it does exceptionally well with both the HD600 from the 4.4mm and the DT1770 out of the 1/4 inch so, to me, that the Piety/Modi was so good is high praise.

I also pulled out my DCA Aeon Noire low impedance planars which require current delivery from an amplifier not voltage swing like the higher impedance dynamics. They sounded great also.

Reading comments from Hyde00 about bass I listened to several tracks which I know well, some with punchy mid bass and some with rumbling sub bass. To my ear the bass is right where it should be with the Piety/Modi Plus combo.

I had an earlier Modi Multibit which I sold and had no particular inclination of buying a new one.

I don’t think you would feel like you left something on the table at all with a Modi Plus over a Multibit 2.

If it where me I’d put the difference in cost in your pocket and put it towards a family meal out and a couple of beers.
Thank you! I have bought the Modi Plus after reading your post about it as I am still in my early 20s and while I do hear some differences between DAC as I have tried out the SMSL sanskrit (akm, sold) and a chinese DAC (kguss q2(ess)?). I just cannot justify the cost of it being around 200 dollars more on a difference that is possible not very much.

Thank you @adydula , @Sheep3000 , @Hyde00 too (And others that i maybe forgetting)

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #817 of 1,642
Coming from SDAC the MM2 definitely is more detailed and better separation but SDAC has richer mids which I miss a little bit. But MM2 definitely sounds nice too and it's growing in me, will use it a bit more before final judgment.

Though using with Piety is a little too bassy, like Piety adds bass, MM2 adds bass, then I'm using Lawton TH900 which is a little bit overkill LOL.

Otherwise if you have other combo maybe you'll be ok.

PXL_20230103_030841268.jpg

Lol I had the same impression, I mean Vali 2+ sounded good don't get me wrong but just don't sound tubey. It sounded like good solid state.

And as you said I too find Piety more tube sounding lol. But Piety definitely has a sweet spot on headphone impedance pairing and for low impedance headphone it's just a bit loud lol.
I'm still basically dying waiting for my MM2 to come in haha. They found it, but i shipped it to the wrong address (my dads), so it'll arrive there on monday, and then he'll ship it to me in ottawa. Really can't wait to hear it; hopefully it'll be different enough from the modi 3+ from memory, as well as my current dacs: Qudelix 5k and Motu M2. Have you heard any of schiit's other dacs? How does MM2 compare to those?

Jan 8, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #818 of 1,642
I'm still basically dying waiting for my MM2 to come in haha. They found it, but i shipped it to the wrong address (my dads), so it'll arrive there on monday, and then he'll ship it to me in ottawa. Really can't wait to hear it; hopefully it'll be different enough from the modi 3+ from memory, as well as my current dacs: Qudelix 5k and Motu M2. Have you heard any of schiit's other dacs? How does MM2 compare to those?
Lol sounds like it's been a long trip. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

I've used the following before MM2:

Modi 3+
MM1
Bifrost 2 OG (borrowed from friend)

It's been a long time since I've used Modi 3+ but I remember it being not bad but also not great either, bass was a little bit loose, which prompted me to return it and get the Modi Multibit 1. Modi Multibit 1 was good but the USB was not good so it the clock timing isn't accurate enough to get nice layering and sound stage. But I like the thick sound it produces. Tonal balance was good. But as I said technicality wasn't good due to old USB so I sold it.

Later on my friend lend me his Jot 2 and BF2, BF2 was nice but I remember it was missing mids a bit coming from SDAC and Soekris 1541. Otherwise it was nice and punchy and all.

From memory I think MM2 is a little bit sharper in detail compare to BF2 OG but also leaner in presentation (could use more mids). I have not heard the BF2/64 but was told it's leaner than OG. So I suspect the MM2 slightly leaner presentation probably match the presentation of BF2/64. But most likely BF2/64 is more technically capable.

Though now that I think about it, maybe the mild v shaped sound is just schiit's house sound???

Jan 8, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #819 of 1,642
Well I've been listening to this amp for the past two days, and it's a nice little amp! I have to agree with those that feel this is worth the price tag, but in my opinion it is not a giant killer. I do get the sharpness in high gain that I find fatiguing for whatever reason. With that in mind, it is just not my cup of tea. I enjoy testing different gear, but some do not fall in the keeper territory for me. Guildentstern was nice enough to sell this to me for $170 shipped (a few pages back). I want to do the same ($170 includes shipping as well in this instance and I will only ship to the lower 48), so let me know if anyone wants this amp. I have a feeling that it is a really nice purchase for someone looking for the qualities that have been described on these pages, better than I ever could.

Edit: SOLD

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #822 of 1,642
thanks to the OP for creating this post. i went through the first several pages...seeing everyone's anticipation and then excitement after the launch was fun. i like all that i've read but missed the boat. i'll be keeping my eyes peeled for one.

Jan 14, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #823 of 1,642
thanks to the OP for creating this post. i went through the first several pages...seeing everyone's anticipation and then excitement after the launch was fun. i like all that i've read but missed the boat. i'll be keeping my eyes peeled for one.
There are 3 on eBay, and the prices are back to normal, for 2 of them anyway.

1673743724370.png

Jan 14, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #824 of 1,642
There are 3 on eBay, and the prices are back to normal, for 2 of them anyway.

1673743724370.png
I’ve watched them there and they start at that price but change quick. Especially in the final minutes of bidding. i made a fair offer on one of those but it was declined unfortunately. thanks for looking out btw

Jan 15, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #825 of 1,642
I’ve watched them there and they start at that price but change quick. Especially in the final minutes of bidding.
Yeah, that's ebay all right. The last minute sniping is very annoying and frustrating. Be patient...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back