NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #797 of 1,642
What do think about the combo? or could you maybe compare it to other modi if you have experience?
1673022008905.jpeg

Excellent pairing here...

Jan 6, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #799 of 1,642
This is the modi+ right? Is it soundwise excellent or lookswise excellent:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:?
Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Sound wise it's a really very good pairing use it with many headphones from 50 ohms to 420 ohms. Tested and listened with the dac compared to other dacs and the mmb2 is very close to most other decks costing more more. This is the new modi multi bit 2.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #800 of 1,642
Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Sound wise it's a really very good pairing use it with many headphones from 50 ohms to 420 ohms. Tested and listened with the dac compared to other dacs and the mmb2 is very close to most other decks costing more more. This is the new modi multi bit 2.
alright, sounds promising, I have not much experience yet with only having the smsl sanskrit dac and JDS labs atom amp before, so i'm curious if it is worth the extra money over the normal modi to go with my new piety. Did you have experience with the normal modi+?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #801 of 1,642
No, I bought the higher cost Bifrost 2 and had it for several years. Excellent dac as well.
Sold the Bifrosts and tried several other high dollar dacs.
I would not think the new MMB2 would be that much better than the OG modi.
There are improvements, unison usb, the connector etc..
If you sell the OG modi and get the new MMB2 that would make more sense IMO.

Jan 6, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #802 of 1,642
No, I bought the higher cost Bifrost 2 and had it for several years. Excellent dac as well.
Sold the Bifrosts and tried several other high dollar dacs.
I would not think the new MMB2 would be that much better than the OG modi.
There are improvements, unison usb, the connector etc..
If you sell the OG modi and get the new MMB2 that would make more sense IMO.
Sorry i meant the modi+, modi3+, modi3 etc. I am trying to buy a modi+ or mm2 in the USA when i go there visiting family, but I am still deciding between the two if it is worth to spend the extra money.

Jan 6, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #803 of 1,642
Sorry i meant the modi+, modi3+, modi3 etc. I am trying to buy a modi+ or mm2 in the USA when i go there visiting family, but I am still deciding between the two if it is worth to spend the extra money.
I had a Modi 3+ that I paired with a vali 2+ (i hated that vali, very little tube sound, if at all.)

Honestly, I find the piety more tubey than the vali. The 3+ is a fine dac. Nothing wrong with it, sounds just simply: good. As it should be for the price. I have a MM2 coming in that USPS is taking its sweet time with, but I'll probably make a post here once I get it to detail my impressions paired with Piety and HD800 SDR mod.

Jan 6, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #804 of 1,642
What do think about the combo? or could you maybe compare it to other modi if you have experience?
Coming from SDAC the MM2 definitely is more detailed and better separation but SDAC has richer mids which I miss a little bit. But MM2 definitely sounds nice too and it's growing in me, will use it a bit more before final judgment.

Though using with Piety is a little too bassy, like Piety adds bass, MM2 adds bass, then I'm using Lawton TH900 which is a little bit overkill LOL.

Otherwise if you have other combo maybe you'll be ok.

PXL_20230103_030841268.jpg
I had a Modi 3+ that I paired with a vali 2+ (i hated that vali, very little tube sound, if at all.)

Honestly, I find the piety more tubey than the vali. The 3+ is a fine dac. Nothing wrong with it, sounds just simply: good. As it should be for the price. I have a MM2 coming in that USPS is taking its sweet time with, but I'll probably make a post here once I get it to detail my impressions paired with Piety and HD800 SDR mod.
Lol I had the same impression, I mean Vali 2+ sounded good don't get me wrong but just don't sound tubey. It sounded like good solid state.

And as you said I too find Piety more tube sounding lol. But Piety definitely has a sweet spot on headphone impedance pairing and for low impedance headphone it's just a bit loud lol.

Jan 6, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #805 of 1,642
Well the Modi + is a DS ESS chip based dac.
and the MMB2 is the lowest cost multi-bit dac.

Difference between the two is approx $170 US dollars.

Sound well some state its different, better about the same. So this one has to be your ears deciding.
If they are the same or similar then it doesnt make sense.
But if you want to try a multibit then the choice is clear!! ha!

I am not a DS fan, but again its all in the listening,,,

Good Luck...The MMB2 being so popular IMO you could sell it I would think if you dont like it.
Alex

Jan 6, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #806 of 1,642

After reading your post I spent a bit of time this afternoon comparing my ifI Diablo, which is my favourite all around DAC/Amp, with the Piety and a new Modi Plus which I haven’t used much with Christmas and the holiday period.

I was using HD600 and DT1770 (tweaked to reduce the bloated bass and cut their sibilant treble - now sounds very well balanced) both with Forza Audioworks cables, if that matters.

On a couple of female vocal songs from a Tidal playlist there was soft repetitive background percussion and repetitive drums being played somewhat softly with brushes, the female vocals obviously being the dominant sound in the mix on both tracks.

Compared to the Diablo the Modi Plus and Piety perhaps pulled the raspy sound of the percussion and brushes on the drums forward just a tiny touch.

The difference was slight, potentially imagined if I am absolutely honest, and for $280 versus the $1,000 Diablo the Schiit/Nitsch combo held its own very admirably indeed.

I experimented with the gain setting and I think perhaps on low gain the raspy sounds were not being pulled forward at all or at least less, again that might have been psychological.

For context, despite the Diablo being battery powered, it does exceptionally well with both the HD600 from the 4.4mm and the DT1770 out of the 1/4 inch so, to me, that the Piety/Modi was so good is high praise.

I also pulled out my DCA Aeon Noire low impedance planars which require current delivery from an amplifier not voltage swing like the higher impedance dynamics. They sounded great also.

Reading comments from Hyde00 about bass I listened to several tracks which I know well, some with punchy mid bass and some with rumbling sub bass. To my ear the bass is right where it should be with the Piety/Modi Plus combo.

I had an earlier Modi Multibit which I sold and had no particular inclination of buying a new one.

I don’t think you would feel like you left something on the table at all with a Modi Plus over a Multibit 2.

If it where me I’d put the difference in cost in your pocket and put it towards a family meal out and a couple of beers.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #807 of 1,642
Man I love Piety. It presents some softer post rock and shoegaze with such a tender, bittersweet presentation. It's such an emotional sound that I just get absorbed into a world of obscure sorrows and other emotions that are just too hard to express with words. This amp is exactly what I dreamed of for HD800. Absolutely beautiful. Hopefully my Modi Multibit 2 (which was found, by the way) will contribute even more to these experiences. Should be here sometime this upcoming week. I'll keep you guys posted!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back