NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #631 of 1,648
The experience from upgrading headphones was profound compared to differences in DACs at this level.
This is actually the thing. Getting the "best" headphones that can scale with your other "investments".

"Best" and "investments" are incredibly subjective qualifiers. I think "best" is obvious but "investments" may need some clarification.

One's "investments" take into account all kinds of things that only really oneself can determine.
Examples include
  • form factor. The "investment" has to fit where one needs it to fit. Who else can determine that?
  • Price. Only oneself can determine what a reasonable financial expenditure it.
  • Aesthetics. One's aesthetic judgement must be catered to. Some say aesthetics don't matter but that itself is an aesthetic judgement.
  • Peer pressure. Oddly enough, one's crowd has an influence on what one finds a good "investment". The ASR crowd and the audio asylum crowd have different ideas on what is good.
Many other "reasons" as well.

For me, I want a Modi Multibit because it'll stack nicely on with the Piety, is reasonably priced, reproduces acoustic music wonderfully, is approved by my fellow SchiitHeads, etc. And I want one of these: https://snakeoilsound.com/products/...it-modi-magni-vali-stack-free-shipping-to-usa

Dec 10, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #632 of 1,648
This is actually the thing. Getting the "best" headphones that can scale with your other "investments".

"Best" and "investments" are incredibly subjective qualifiers. I think "best" is obvious but "investments" may need some clarification.

One's "investments" take into account all kinds of things that only really oneself can determine.
Examples include
  • form factor. The "investment" has to fit where one needs it to fit. Who else can determine that?
  • Price. Only oneself can determine what a reasonable financial expenditure it.
  • Aesthetics. One's aesthetic judgement must be catered to. Some say aesthetics don't matter but that itself is an aesthetic judgement.
  • Peer pressure. Oddly enough, one's crowd has an influence on what one finds a good "investment". The ASR crowd and the audio asylum crowd have different ideas on what is good.
Many other "reasons" as well.

For me, I want a Modi Multibit because it'll stack nicely on with the Piety, is reasonably priced, reproduces acoustic music wonderfully, is approved by my fellow SchiitHeads, etc. And I want one of these: https://snakeoilsound.com/products/...it-modi-magni-vali-stack-free-shipping-to-usa
Yes the modi multibit measures terriblely but who cares!

Dec 10, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #633 of 1,648

I've owned well-measuring gear that I didn't like (THX 789, Topping E30/L30), and lots of poorly measuring gear I loved (BF2/OG, Soloist 3xp).

Then there's well-measuring gear that I liked too, like Ares II. The NOS mode led me to try poor measuring NOS DACs, that I also really like (r2r-11mk2).

I do find myself enjoying r2r/mb stuff a lot more though.

Dec 10, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #634 of 1,648
So do my ears! :-D

What I find most amusing is that, these days, often, measuring poorly means 92dB dynamic range versus 101dB dynamic range. Those 9dB are critical!

And, anyways, I'm waiting for the new one. No measurements yet.

Dec 10, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #635 of 1,648
What’s the latest on new multibit release?

Dec 10, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #636 of 1,648
What I find most amusing is that, these days, often, measuring poorly means 92dB dynamic range versus 101dB dynamic range. Those 9dB are critical!

Only to those who actually think a human can hear the difference between 92dB's of silence and 101dB's of silence. :sweat_smile:

Any music that's been recorded with even one microphone (i.e. music that wasn't 100% created with software on a computer) will have a noisefloor of -50-60dB at best.

And once you start adding more mics and multiple tracks into the mix, you're now looking at 20-30dB's of real-world dynamic range at most.

So long story short, 92dB (or even 82dB or 72dB) of dynamic range is waaaaay more than enough to properly reproduce the full dynamic range of any kind of music.

Don't forget, we buy all this weird and wonderful stuff to listen to and enjoy our favorite music, not our favorite test tones. :nerd:

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #639 of 1,648
What’s the latest on new multibit release?

Jason hinted that a limited number of them (Modi Multibit 2) could drop as early as next week, and he usually likes to drop new releases on a Monday. :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #640 of 1,648
Jason hinted that a limited number of them (Modi Multibit 2) could drop as early as next week, and he usually likes to drop new releases on a Monday. :wink:
That's what I'm talking about!

Dec 10, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #641 of 1,648
Will check out this Monday and will blind buy.

Dec 10, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #644 of 1,648
Posted on Dec. 4
Also, on an unrelated note, the Modi Multibit 2 first articles were approved. Reading the tea leaves...maybe a couple of weeks out. If we're very lucky, you might see some delivered by Christmas.

Posted on Dec. 6
Also, if we're lucky, we'll be announcing two things next week--the last announcements of the year.

goldmember2.gif

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #645 of 1,648
A few weeks into having a Piety here...and AB'ing between the Vali 2 + is a really close call here. Both are excellent and sound similar...no verbose flowery adjectives or talks of plankton and the like. Either one does the job very well. Power wise they are close. In the realm of real world safe listening. I will keep both at rotate from time to time and enjoy the wonders of both amps, and swap thru a bunch of tubes, just because its "cool" and I can! Good Schiit here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back