Nippon Chemi-Con KMH v.s. Rubycon USR
Jun 15, 2007 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

rockcod

100+ Head-Fier
I come across some Nippon Chemi-Con KMH large can caps. I'd like to use them in the power supply section of my DAC. How does it compare to Rubycon USR in terms of sonic characteristic?

Also, would NM HR series (now discountinued) of Nippon Chemi-Con be a good choice for same purpose as well?

I don't feel like paying $40+ for a BlackGate Standard
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 23
Hey,

I think if you are gonna replace with those mediocre (upper end of it), it ain't gonna worth your effort. 40 bucks is rather "cheap" for serious upgrades.

Besides, I think those are what your DAC uses to begin with.

Personally, I would go for something like this:

http://www.diyparadise.com/oscon.html

Heehee. Kinda expensive, but if ye gonna go "up", ye gotta go "up" high. (Its ma opinion)

T

Jun 16, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 23
generally, all you have to look at are the ESR specs and rated life at a given temperature--find the datasheets, and compare to the standard low-ESR audio caps, the panasonic fm/fc and the nichicon he/pw. The OSCONs and other organic electrolyte capacitors generally will also have pretty low ESR, possibly lower than the standard aluminum electrolytics.

There may be other voodoo-based sonic characteristics of these caps, which is where the black gates come in, but as I understand there is no reliable way to measure/calculate such voodoo characteristics from a datasheet, so you're going to have to rely on your ears and/or subconscious to figure that out
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 23
you may not want BG's for the PSU on a dac.
they have pretty craptastic performance once you get into the digital signal ranges which is where you want them doing the most work to keep that noise out of the power supply.... there are better choices for the PSU in a dac.

for what its worth, a lot of what makes them sound so good in the signal path (imho) is that they fuzz out the stuff above the audio band. better to "fuzz over" the distortion and digital noise that lives there than to hear it anyways.

Jun 16, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey,

I think if you are gonna replace with those mediocre (upper end of it), it ain't gonna worth your effort. 40 bucks is rather "cheap" for serious upgrades.

Besides, I think those are what your DAC uses to begin with.

Personally, I would go for something like this:

http://www.diyparadise.com/oscon.html

Heehee. Kinda expensive, but if ye gonna go "up", ye gotta go "up" high. (Its ma opinion)

T

Yes, my DAC comes w/ Rubycon USR and I am wondering if I can kick it up a notch on the cheap
tongue.gif

Sanyo OSCON is good, but it doesn't have the value I need -- 470uf 160V and it's difficult to source in the States.

Jun 16, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you may not want BG's for the PSU on a dac.
they have pretty craptastic performance once you get into the digital signal ranges which is where you want them doing the most work to keep that noise out of the power supply.... there are better choices for the PSU in a dac.

for what its worth, a lot of what makes them sound so good in the signal path (imho) is that they fuzz out the stuff above the audio band. better to "fuzz over" the distortion and digital noise that lives there than to hear it anyways.

Understood, but this is for the analog stage which drives the tubed buffer.

Please enlighten me on the better choices for the PSU.

Jun 16, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 23
Panasonic TSHA would probably be a good choice there, as they are low ESR for HV caps, 105C rated temp, etc., and in general very good caps. I assume you need snap mount? Blackgates are obscenely priced when you get into the HV stuff, plus they do not publish ESR figures, etc. (at leat what I could find). They apparently resort to depending on the name alone
rolleyes.gif
. I almost went this route on my tube preamp (to the tune of ~$500 just for parts), but sanity kicked in (as well as wife and kids to feed... hehe). More disturbingly, I have read recently (can't recall where), of a couple of people having BG WKZs fail on them at 1/2 rated voltage... not good for a $100 cap
eek.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #9 of 23
Those Sanyo organic semiconductor caps aren't that expensive. I use one 100uF in one of my amps (together with common Al-E's). I don't know what good it does. I don't know if there is any audible difference between caps in the power supply of battery powerd amps at all. I haven't done any A-B testings. Until then (or until I've seen a decent report of someone else doing it) I don't believe it. People claim dramatic changes while burning in small amps with large caps (read RSA and Xin). I think it's habituation to the unfriendly sound signature of AD8397, AD8620 etc. How does power caps alter the soud of of battery powerd amp's at all? I'm not sarcastic, just willing to learn.

Jun 16, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #10 of 23
A friend of mine used that big fat Elna Silmic II at power section, and he swear by it. He claimed the cap makes sound richer. I am not entirely agree with him though, it is possible that good cap can contribute producing clear power, i guess.
Isn't that placibo? Can I hear the difference? I am not sure. For me, I think any mid range non-crap cap will do the job at power section.

If the cap used in audio section, especially in signal path, I won't use anything less than nichicon HE series. I generally do not use chemicon caps in amp. That does not neccesarily means they are bad. I used a few of them and I do not think I liked them. Don't know about chemicon KMH series though, KMG series made sound real crappy when I accidentaly used them in audio path. No detectable problem when used in power section.

Jun 16, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #11 of 23
funny, because personally I wouldn't use anything less than the nichicon HE series for the power section, simply because they're not that expensive, I've got a stockload of them, and because low ESR is probably most important in the power section and usually unimportant elsewhere.

However, the audio section most logically would be more effected by capacitor quality, so they do need to be taken care of--it's just that low ESR isn't something that should make a difference in most circuits. I'd look at dielectric absorption/dissipation factor as the criteria for quality--but then again, almost all electrolytics exhibit pretty bad qualities with respect to these two characteristics (except maybe blackgates/etc, but you'd have to check the datasheets to make sure). This does get close to the audio voodoo stuff, so I usually don't bother much with electrolytics in the audio section. Actually, now that I think of it, most of the circuits I've made simply avoid electrolytics whenever possible, so I've never really had to bother with them.

Jun 16, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by looser101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just found this today.

capacitor-comparison

~Renato

Very interesting -- I think I am getting closer to that BG stuff. I can see my wallet getting thinner
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #14 of 23
Rockcod, I see you have a B22. With such a great amp (I assume), did you ever experience dramatic changes in sound signature/quality while "burning-in"? Did it ever sound bad at times?

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #15 of 23
interesting stuff. That's the first time I've ever seen someone try to prove BG claims--I was reading through the blackgate tech notes, and they do repeatedly claim "reduced noise," though I couldn't find any measurements.

With that said, however, I think the same results (and probably better) might be achievable by paralleling a higher-speed cap, which is what is usually done in most audio power supply designs. Additionally, in the first test, they haven't specified exactly which line of nichicon cap they used (nichicon makes both good and crappy caps)--if that's a nichicon uhe/upw, then I'd really be convinced. In the second test, it looks like they're comparing two junk caps with a new one that has a higher voltage rating than the other two. Doesn't seem too fair, does it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back