Nintendo Wii First Impressions
Nov 23, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #121 of 169
Has anyone played Red Steel yet? That's the one that really got my attention (besides Twilight Princess) because in the video from Nintendo it looked like the player stopped time, aimed several shots from his gun, and then they all fired rapidly when time was unpaused. Anyone know what that is? Plus it's got the whole sword-swinging deal, too.

Also, how are the graphics in Twilight Princess?

Nov 23, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #122 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pathetic. The perfect analogy will be 'you are not the person who download free mp3 then buying the album later because you like it. NO, you are the person who buy the album, rip it into your pc and sell the cd.' Just because you've bought it doesn't entitle you to keep your copy when you've sold the album. There are tons of snes & n64 consoles/games on ebay. That's what I do, buying snes & n64 games on ebay before I heard about wii.
You can talk all you want but the bottom line is you're using emulation because you are too cheap to buy games legally.
I know and aware of mods and emulation. I have a modded ps2, I need it modded since I have ps2 & ps1 games from Australia, Asia & Japan I don't like buying $50 games, I prefer to pay less than $30/games. I prefer to buy used and get the packaging + booklet then getting those image games from bittorrent. Most likely I will sell my snes since I can get their games from VC however I'll keep my n64 since I believe n64 unique controller is crucial for the games enjoyment and for now I don't see nintendo offering N64 type controller for wii. I still think n64 controller is the best for fps games because of Goldeneye
tongue.gif

Ridiculous.

How do you even come up with those ridiculous analogies? How am I the person that downloads everything illegally then sells my legal copies? You act like you know me and make these ridiculous, petty, flamatory claims.

I never said my actions were justified/legal because I owned the copies at one time. Re-read my post again.

Bottom-line: I'm using emulators because of the shear convenience. Yes, this includes the price factor as well (If I bought every game I have ever played I'd be down thousands of dollars, which can sometimes be a lot if you're a teenager in a low-income family). Quite frankly, I don't give a damn if this is "pathetic" in your eyes. I'll keep emulating, you keep buying the real thing. Just don't reach ridiculous conclusions as if you know everything I do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno man, there's something magic about the living room atmosphere and gaming. I have a harder time really getting into a console game on my PC screen and not on my TV relaxing on the couch. I've definitely done the ROM thing from time to time, but I actually ended up getting a very long S-Video cable so I could run them on my TV.

Yeah, I agree to an extent, which is why when I usually do multiplayer my friends and I either do TV-out or play on my brother's bigger LCD monitor.

I also like owning the real deal for nostalgia and what not. I'm going back and slowly building a GENESIS collection again (Then SNES, and perhaps the Neo).

Nov 23, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #123 of 169
i am absolutely loving my wii but besides zelda TP (and wii sports), i am not that enthusiastic about some of the other launch titles.

can someone recommend me some gamecube titles for the wii?

Nov 23, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #124 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Similar to Gamecube graphics, but with much better lighting. The Twilight Kingdom looks really neat. I managed to sneak a couple more hours in today between midterms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A lot of good deals in the Player's Choice selections. Mario Kart Double Dash is probably still expensive, but an awesome game. Super Monkey Ball 2 is fun, too, along with Mario Golf. Any of the Mario Parties are good bets.

Can you tell that I enjoy quick, fun games to play with roommates and friends? :p

Nov 23, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #125 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I agree to an extent, which is why when I usually do multiplayer my friends and I either do TV-out or play on my brother's bigger LCD monitor.

I think I'll end up eventually with a comfy chair and a multiple-input LCD for gaming. It'll be halfway between computer gaming and living room gaming.

Nov 23, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #126 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone played Red Steel yet? That's the one that really got my attention (besides Twilight Princess) because in the video from Nintendo it looked like the player stopped time, aimed several shots from his gun, and then they all fired rapidly when time was unpaused. Anyone know what that is? Plus it's got the whole sword-swinging deal, too.

I've been playing TP mostly so I've only played Red Steel for like 30 minutes...it seemed ok, the controls are going to take a little to get used to since you're using the Wiimote sensor capabilty most of the time as opposed to Zelda where you're moving around a lot.

Twilight Princess is mostly a Gamecube port so the graphics are fine but not astonishing...does anyone know if Mario Galaxy is developed on the Wii mostly? That game looks beautiful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am absolutely loving my wii but besides zelda TP (and wii sports), i am not that enthusiastic about some of the other launch titles.

For Gamecube games, I'd say definitely Resident Evil 4 (this is so great the Wii plays Gamecube cause I sold my cube before I beat RE4 and now I can buy it new for $20.) Also, I really enjoyed Luigi's Mansion, even though it didn't get good reviews. Wind Waker was cool as well as Viewtiful Joe and Smash Bros. and Metroid (but you may want to wait for the Wii versions?) But RE4 is one of my top 5 of all time.

Nov 24, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #129 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, let's not go down the copyright discussion road. It only leads to one destination.

The dark side of the force?

Nov 24, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #130 of 169
Hey Azure, shh. You're harshing my buzz.

Nov 26, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #131 of 169
I just got one this morning. I have been reading for several days over at IGN, that Best Buy was going to have a bunch today. I figured I would wait no longer than an hour. I arrived at 9am (10am open). Just after I arrived, they announced that they had 42 and that they would be handing out numbers- I got number 31. The last person to get a number arrived around 9:30am.

Kudos to Best Buy (a company I dont really like) for their handling of this. They let us wii people in the exit door and had a special display laid out for us. One at a time we were brought to the accessory table and traded our ticket for a wii- very smooth.

Anyway, I have only played for about an hour (tennis and a little boxing). I am 31 and have been pretty bored with video games for the last 10 years- I dont have the time, and better graphics only take me so far. Wii Tennis took me about 10 minutes to master and it is great fun right out of the box. The first time I played boxing, my heart rate was up (not sure if that is a negative statement on my level of physical fitnesss, or a positive comment on the wii
biggrin.gif
). The remote works flawlessly, right out of the box. The internet connection took a little time to configure as my the Wii doesnt like my routers default channel 6 (1 and 11 work). The sensor took a little tweaking too, but all in all, setup was pretty simple.

This is probably the most excited I have been about video games since the super nintendo in 1992 or so. Wii is very cool, very fun and very accessible even for those who dont play video games. While I still cant say if this will hold my interest long term (I have sold most other systems after about 6 months), I have a pretty good feeling that little old Nintendo has revolutionized the way people think of video games and there is a very good chance they have back doored their way into the champion of this round of console wars.

One more thing, second shipments are apparently on the way. I wouldn't be too surprised if it becomes a little easier to get ahold of one of these in the coming weeks. However, if the positive reviews continue (almost 100% positive that I have read) its possible the frenzy continues, as this thing is pretty unique in the VG world.

Nov 26, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #132 of 169
AHEM. Back to impressions, please?
wink.gif

Ok, at dungeon #5 now.

The first 3 dungeon bosses are WAY too easy but #4 is where the fun begins.
smily_headphones1.gif

You get a very interesting weapon...

And Twilight graphics are the same as GC graphics, isn't it? I thought they were lazy so they just imported it.

Nov 26, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #134 of 169
I brought my Gamecube to my brothers over the holiday and we played for several hours (quite a rarity, but I thought it would be fun). My wife was quite bored with the 4 brothers
biggrin.gif
. She wouldn't even play Crazy Taxi when I tried to force the fun on her.

Today, after watching me play Wii for about half an hour- "I wanna play." Our 16 month old son was a little grumpy with the 10 minute lack of attention, so after a game of tennis- "we'll play tonight when he goes to bed."

Just a little taste of Wii's appeal.

Nov 27, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #135 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And Twilight graphics are the same as GC graphics, isn't it? I thought they were lazy so they just imported it.

I don't think the system is a lot more powerful than a GC. In any case, it's not about the graphics, it's all about the fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back