Nintendo Wii First Impressions
Nov 20, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #31 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The virtual versions will last longer?

Cartridges have a specific amount if life time.
Memory can be transferred over again and again.

My old carts are still going strong after nearly 10 years. NES carts still work in this day and age. You aren't paying for $8 a GENESIS/SNES game to make sure that it "lasts forever." If life expectancy is anyone's concern, it was taken care of many moons ago with a little something called emulation...

I still don't see any real value in the whole VC thing. It's a nice feature that was unfortunately (and expectedly) ruined with capitalism. Fortunately for Nintendo, the mass public isn't aware of emulation and there are certain people, the wonderful law-abiding citizens they are, that would never in their right minds ever even consider emulation. I just can't help but feel like I'd be paying for roms...

Regardless, I still can't wait until I can get my hands on a Wii. I likely won't bother with the VC, but I'm still really interested in the other games
smily_headphones1.gif

450 - So the slowdowns will still be there? Blah, I thought it'd be rather nice to play a lot of these old games like Goldeneye, Duke Nukem 3D, etc. at 60fps. Oh well, they were still very playable for me and my friends with the actual thing, so I'm not complaining.

Nov 20, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #32 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I still don't see any real value in the whole VC thing. It's a nice feature that was unfortunately (and expectedly) ruined with capitalism. Fortunately for Nintendo, the mass public isn't aware of emulation and there are certain people, the wonderful law-abiding citizens they are, that would never in their right minds ever even consider emulation. I just can't help but feel like I'd be paying for roms...

Haha the idea of free mp3 for life. Grow up.

Nov 20, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #33 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha the idea of free mp3 for life. Grow up.

Yes, similar to the whole mp3 thing, but with the whole emulation thing it's mainly games that have been out of print for years (Doesn't make it legal, but it does change things a bit compared to the whole mp3 thing).

You do what you do and I'll do what I do. Emulation has no effect on one's maturity, thank you very much.

Nov 20, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #34 of 169
Quote:

You do what you do and I'll do what I do. Emulation has no effect on one's maturity, thank you very much.

I admit. I emulate. But the thing is... Its hard not to. I have the N64 and Perfect Dark, but when you play it on the projector it look horrid. Yet when its emulated and scaled to 1280 x 720 with some smoothing too, it looks and feels like a modern, playable game which can be played by 4 players and little lag.

I'm still getting the Wii even if it is "just" 480P and Dolby Pro Logic II. It's probably the once of the three consoles out there now that will actually work.

Nov 20, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #35 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still getting the Wii even if it is "just" 480P and Dolby Pro Logic II. It's probably the once of the three consoles out there now that will actually work.

Do you have an HDTV? If so the max 480P issue may bother you. Not sure I follow the other comment, my Xbox 360 has been working great for a year now.

Nov 20, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #36 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have an HDTV? If so the max 480P issue may bother you. Not sure I follow the other comment, my Xbox 360 has been working great for a year now.

Don't most HDTVs have an option to properly scale SD content?

Nov 20, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #37 of 169
Quote:

I have a 720P projector and a Samsung 1080P DLP in the near future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes. My PJ has scaling, but its not as good as something natively 1280 x 720.

Edit: When I tried out my Dreamcast with my friends VGA adapter with my PJ it looked okay. Much better than composite anyway. Hopefully Wii has VGA output. (I know component is basically VGA, but still)

Nov 20, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #38 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, I was initially concerned that the Wii was going to look like my gamecube on my set, which isn't great to look at (480i and 4:3 on a 720p 16:9 set). I have since learned that the Wii does have the option to set 16:9, so even 480p wont look bad.

Nov 20, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #39 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 720P projector and a Samsung 1080P DLP in the near future.

Have you considered waiting for the LED Samsungs?

Nov 20, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #40 of 169
Quote:

Have you considered waiting for the LED Samsungs?

Maybe I should...

I've been pretty happy with my 3LCD projector though. I might stick with it for a while...

Nov 20, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #41 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by toastmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would never think of getting a PS3 or an XBox 360 just because of the price and the lack of games that I can bum around with my roommates and play.

Yet with the 360 I play with all of my friends around the world.

Reasons why I'm not buying a Wii yet:

Quote:

1) Backwards compatible with Gamecube. This means I can start off by already being able to play all my games (plus Zelda).

Who needs backwards compatibility when I already have a Gamecube?

Quote:

2) Nintendo's strict price capping. Because $700 CDN could be spent on an RS-1.
rs1smile.gif

Yesteryear's technology is far easier to price cap. Nintendo is actually making money off of their console sales. It's pretty easy for Grado to put a price cap on their SR-60 rather than their higher end RS-1.

Quote:

3) The downloadability of old N64, SNES, and NES games.

Again, why would I want to download and pay for games I already own?

Quote:

I wasn't in a rush to pick one up, but I waited around all night because a buddy of mine needed to get one today. He had planned to shoot a news segment for his TV broadcasting course around the Wii launch, and if he didn't get one he'd need to rewrite and re-plot a new segment. After the 13 hours in +- 0 C weather (at one point it was snowing) I decided I owed it to myself.

Also, no HD resolution, Nintendo? Hey, I guess every once in awhile I'll hook up my lower end MS-2 headphones to my headphone rig, but I like to use higher end headphones to fully appreciate my rig.

I waited overnight in line for the XBox 360, no way in the world would I do that for the PS3, which lacked any games that even remotely interested me, and the Wii? Yeah, right.

In the end, I'll probably end up getting a Wii if there is a game that actually interests me. I'll probably skip the PS3. So it'll be the Wii60 in my house.

-Ed

Nov 20, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #42 of 169
Quote:

My old carts are still going strong after nearly 10 years. NES carts still work in this day and age. You aren't paying for $8 a GENESIS/SNES game to make sure that it "lasts forever."

I'm talking about save-data stuff.
Things that you don't have to save data, maybe they last long. But most games after the NES do need to get their parts replaced if you want to save.
My Zelda: Link's Awakening DX has already died out. The data can't save for over a week anymore.

I'd rather get used to playing on one system rather than swapping systems every time I wanna play a different game?

If you have problems with this, then just sell your old games and buy the virtual ones. Is that much of a difference?

Nov 20, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #44 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yesteryear's technology is far easier to price cap. Nintendo is actually making money off of their console sales. It's pretty easy for Grado to put a price cap on their SR-60 rather than their higher end RS-1.

Also, no HD resolution, Nintendo? Hey, I guess every once in awhile I'll hook up my lower end MS-2 headphones to my headphone rig, but I like to use higher end headphones to fully appreciate my rig.

I waited overnight in line for the XBox 360, no way in the world would I do that for the PS3, which lacked any games that even remotely interested me, and the Wii? Yeah, right.

In the end, I'll probably end up getting a Wii if there is a game that actually interests me. I'll probably skip the PS3. So it'll be the Wii60 in my house.

-Ed

Ed, I can understand your point of view but... The Wii is for the GENERAL audience, not just you. So it's pointless to argue about this when it meets most peoples' needs.

You notice that lots of people don't even have or WANT HD TV? Because they're hell expensive and their old TV's are still going strong? dumb to just buy a $3000 TV to go along with a $700 game console. Like the world knows, 95% of the world doesn't care if they want to fully appreciate their TV rig or not. It's the same situation we have here; we don't see everyone with an orpheus in their house. Do you see everyone in the world having HD TV's in their house? No. As simple as that.

No one is even telling you to buy the games you already own so if you get the system, they're not forcing you to buy them. That's just common sense. It's for people that haven't experienced some games from the past. You notice that this system is aimed for all ages? Meaning some people weren't in the days where the first Mario was available for playing.

If the Wii's technology is "yesteryear" then why don't any other systems have the innovation they do? Not even trying the fianl version of Wii you make these comments that just make fun of people that buy the Wii? I have respect for all systems but the Wii is easily a hell lot better than whatever the PS3 or the XBOX 360 has to offer, especially for the price.

If you really appreciate good games, how they look shouldn't matter as long as their fun to play.

Nov 20, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #45 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-Ed

Translation: Waa waa I spent all my money on a XBOX 360 and want to make myself feel better for splurging on it after seeing the Wii...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back