Nintendo switch.. still worth it?
Jul 7, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #31 of 67
Switch has the only game that matters.
Switch has Katamari Damacy.

Jul 8, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #32 of 67
I recently tried FF15 and it showed me how sad gaming development has gotten.

10 years of development and it didn't have much to show for it. The concept was confusing and didn't make sense. Couldn't follow the narrative either. This is a prime example of a biggest waste of money/time.
The potential was there. But there were too many discards and changes. The game was first introduced as FF13 versus and the story and characters were amazing imo. got me really excited. And then a lot of things were discarded by new directors. I'm a huge squaresoft fanboy but they haven't made a good game in almost 20 years. FF15 was a bust and kingdom heart 3 was a bust. I notice the old companies that were at the top of their field like capcom and Squaresoft, they don't make good games anymore.

Jul 8, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #33 of 67
I've been contemplating on getting an LG c9 oled tv for gaming. I know for sure the experience is gonna be epic but IDK. seems a bit too expensive right now. It can be used certainly with everything from movies to connecting to switch and pc gaming. The 120 hz 4k really piques my interest.

Jul 9, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #34 of 67
I've been contemplating on getting an LG c9 oled tv for gaming. I know for sure the experience is gonna be epic but IDK. seems a bit too expensive right now. It can be used certainly with everything from movies to connecting to switch and pc gaming. The 120 hz 4k really piques my interest.
OLED is amazing if you want to display very good looking graphics content. If it's some retro sprite stuff, it's not going to matter much. It's better than any computer monitor out there due to the dynamic range due to deepest black you can get possible. Colors are very vivid as well. If you compared to LCD, LCD will look washed out guaranteed.

If you can run games in 4k resolution, they do look pretty stunning on OLEDs.

The potential was there. But there were too many discards and changes. The game was first introduced as FF13 versus and the story and characters were amazing imo. got me really excited. And then a lot of things were discarded by new directors. I'm a huge squaresoft fanboy but they haven't made a good game in almost 20 years. FF15 was a bust and kingdom heart 3 was a bust. I notice the old companies that were at the top of their field like capcom and Squaresoft, they don't make good games anymore.
Since the games these days are narrow niches that do not have much to offer in terms of originality, I'm looking into retro stuff these days. Or independents.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #35 of 67
OLED is amazing if you want to display very good looking graphics content. If it's some retro sprite stuff, it's not going to matter much. It's better than any computer monitor out there due to the dynamic range due to deepest black you can get possible. Colors are very vivid as well. If you compared to LCD, LCD will look washed out guaranteed.

If you can run games in 4k resolution, they do look pretty stunning on OLEDs.

Since the games these days are narrow niches that do not have much to offer in terms of originality, I'm looking into retro stuff these days. Or independents.
Yea I've looked into OLED c9 for many months now. and the best price I've seen for a 65 inch is $1,800. I do have a 4k samsung tv and last summer I spent hundred of hours playing Divinity Original Sin 2 with my brother at 4k resolution and it was breathtaking. A highly recommended game from me as well. Lots of unforgettable moments. That game is difficult in every sense but once you get through the learning curve it's an absolute blast.

I've looked into the OLED 2020 model (LG CX) and a lot of ppl say it's a downgrade from the 2019 model. Get the C9 instead. With the ps5 coming soon I think it's the best time to take the plunge on an C9 imo. Hotdamn I want a c9 oled

Aug 10, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #37 of 67
The Switch has all of the best current generation RPGs available right now:

Breath of the Wild
Skyrim
The Witcher 3
Dragon Quest XI
Pokemon

I only play it in handheld mode. Playing Skyrim and The Witcher 3 on my bed is a treat. It's a must have if you're a dire hard RPG fan and want a portable experience.

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #38 of 67
Honestly I’d say it’s still worth it, the exclusives on the switch are amazing even though this year has been slow for releases. You could also potentially wait as I hear that Nintendo might do something with a switch pro.

Aug 13, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #42 of 67
havent touched mine since feb, for sale if anyone is interested. comes with lots and lots of games on the nintendo account that goes with it

Jun 27, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #44 of 67
The steam deck is a better value now for sure, since you can install emulators and play games from multiple consoles. I would only get a switch if you care about Nintendo switch online.
They are totally different devices.. (same form factor) and if we consider gaming as the target, same ‘ability’.

Nintendo OWNS the console war (number of hardware units in field), next is the Playstation 4 .. (technically both those consoles might have similar total number of hardware sales but the PS4 is End Of Life (still getting titles for sure), but the Switch has every man/dog (developer) releasing for it.. sure it gets a lot of indies and ‘old games’.. it has more power than a nice PC did when games like Skyrim came to market (avergave PC, not ‘Ninja builds’) and hence can play some great versions of much FUN software- what ACTUALLY MATTERS WHEN GAMING.

Switch just works (PCs and hence Steam Deck can have a lot of niggles that techs (like the headfi crowd) might push through..)
Anytime I pick up my switch (or the other family members) we have a blast..
Sure I was sad that Shin Megami Tensei V didn’t come to ‘more powerful hardware (rumour is it is on way to PS5).. but for the rare and exclusives, and stuff like Ring: Fit adventures (a must buy), and the Mario Kart game with actual Remote Controlled cars (that can emulate the physics, like wind on them ‘in the real world’) the console is ‘too fun and too well supported’.

The resale value on the parts (and games) is too silly for words (super good).. and the hardware gets nice constant updates (like bluetooth audio and USB DAC support etc)

A steam deck is clever tech and can play anything.. but it ain’t no nintendo console.
As a PC tech and now ‘playstation gamer’ (and nintendo families cause I play games and NOT consoles), the Switch was the console that most surprised me in terms of getting me pulled in and engaged constantly..
The ‘worse quality graphics’ (compare the Witcher/Skyrim/Dragon Quest XI or ‘whatever’) just doesn’t matter- gameplay gameplay gameplay.. and Nintendo with their ‘solid state’ gaming cartridges (with incredible resale) have a truly hard to beat platform.

The 100 million odd consoles sales with the highest media adoption rate of any console (ever) is proof that these things are not going anywhere..
Buying ’rare’ RPGs is super easy.. and you can make a profit buying and selling ‘slash and burn’ URGENT sell consoles and splitting the contents (games vs console) due to the stupid good resale on all the parts involved.

But just know that ‘joycon drift’ is a thing cause Nintendo haven’t set a deadzone with any give.. (they could easily save themselves bucketloads of cash in repairs and replacements with a very simple firmware fix) (Not denying the issue, just, consoles controllers have typically had a ’lot more leeway’ built into the controllers..)

Feb 13, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #45 of 67
Sorry to comment on a year old thread but id say the switch is STILL not worth it in 2023.
the only games its been getting consistently are re-released of older gamecube and wii era games with barely any improvements if any are present at all. the way i see it, the switch has about 4~ games worth playing on it and thats it. everything else either isnt that good, has god awful performance or has a way better port or version avaliable elsewhere.
heres an example of how i see the switch:
If you ask 10 people what their top 3 "must play" games on their favorite console (lets say for the sake of this example playstation) are, youll get a wide variety of answers. one guy might say "oh i loved god of war, uncharted, and horizon zero", and another one and they might say "i love killzone, final fantasy, and ratchet and clank", ask a third one and youll get someone saying "detroit become human, heavy rain, and walking dead". a wiiide variety of answers.
now ask 10 switch fans what their top 3 must play games on switch are and 9/10 of them will just reply "smash ultimate, BOTW, and pokemon". at most youll get one or two people changing out pokemon for splatoon or bayonetta but thats what the switch is at this point, a smash, mario, zelda, and pokemon machine and not much else...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back