Nintendo Dsi
Feb 2, 2009 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

fromthelane

100+ Head-Fier
Thought I'd start a thread about the new version of the Nintendo DS, the DSi. I'm currently contemplating whether to get a used DS Lite or wait for the upgrade. I'm clueless about the release date though. Plus, the DSi doesn't seem that much of an improvement. A discussion on here might well be useful though.

Feb 2, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 25
You're not gonna get much first-hand experience since it's not out in the states yet.

DSi

- Slightly bigger screens
- two cameras (for candid upskirts)
- Downloadable content

DS lite
- GBA slot
- Looks better IMO
- Compatible with current flash cards

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 25
Not all our posters are from the US though.

On paper, the DSi is worth it I suppose, even if it is an extra 50 bucks or so. Is there a firm release date yet? I keep seeing April but it's very vague.

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're not gonna get much first-hand experience since it's not out in the states yet.

DSi

- Slightly bigger screens
- two cameras (for candid upskirts)
- Downloadable content

DS lite
- GBA slot
- Looks better IMO
- Compatible with current flash cards

Great comparison. I dunno, but IMO the DS lite is versatile enough. Methinks it's like Nintendo put a third eye on a goose and said "Hey look guys, it's not exactly practical, but you can do more things with it (like freak people out)!

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 25
I don't think the DSi is worth losing the GBA slot at all, because there are still so many great GBA games out there that you can get for really cheap. That, and if you want to try the DS Guitar Hero games, you're SOL.

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Not all our posters are from the US though.

I know, but IIRC it's currently only available in Japan. You'd have to hope for importers and English-speaking members located in Japan.

If you need a system now an don't care for the Dsi's minor improvements, just get the lite. The only thing I'd be wary of is build, the lite has been know to suffer from button/hinge issues. (Which if you're out of warranty, can cost you a pretty penny) No idea about the DSi's build.

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 25
I'll get the DSi for gaming's sake. But I'll keep my DS Lite for Pokemon. A Nintendo fan who isn't a fan of Pokemon or Mario or Zelda isn't worthy of buying a Nintendo product. ngeaha.
devil_face.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #9 of 25
DSi looks awesome, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I have a DS Lite with EDGE and 2gd MicroSD; and I am in gaming heaven. I currently have about 30 DS games, and an SNES emulator with a dozen or so roms on it. All that can be had for the price of a DSi. Though unless you have some coin, a DSi+flashcart would be hot sex.

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingkevo25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DSi looks awesome, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I have a DS Lite with EDGE and 2gd MicroSD; and I am in gaming heaven. I currently have about 30 DS games, and an SNES emulator with a dozen or so roms on it. All that can be had for the price of a DSi. Though unless you have some coin, a DSi+flashcart would be hot sex.

some people pay for videogames and support developers.

OP, do you like cameras and internet browsing on your dedicated gaming device? if so, buy the DSi

do you like a solid gaming device with a proven 12hr battery life, and gba support?
if so, get a dslite.

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OP, do you like cameras and internet browsing on your dedicated gaming device? if so, buy the DSi

do you like a solid gaming device with a proven 12hr battery life, and gba support?
if so, get a dslite.

I use an Ipod Touch for internet browsing so absolutely not, this thing is for gaming and that's it. It's just so counter-intuitive to go out and spent $100+ on something that I know is being superseded in a matter of months.

I'll get a DS lite though, I'm sure.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To be fair to him, it is possible that he buys the games and then just uses a flashcart for consolidation, which is what I do. I own about 15 DS games, and the ability to put them on one card and not have to carry all the others and switch between them was well worth the purchase to me... that, and there's a lot of good homebrew games coming out now.

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

No one should ever get a dedicated gaming portable for internet or camera use. The PSP and lite are almost unusable for browsing, and I wouldn't figure the DSi to be any different.

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one should ever get a dedicated gaming portable for internet or camera use. The PSP and lite are almost unusable for browsing, and I wouldn't figure the DSi to be any different.

Yeah, the DS Lite browser was really crappy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fromthelane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's also a matte finish so less of a finger print magnet.

The DS Lites in the lighter colors don't show fingerprints as much as black though. Also, the bottom of the red/black DS Lite is matte, I think, and the red lid is pretty good at hiding prints.

OP, I take it that you decided against the PSP then? I thought you ruled out the DS as you couldn't find more than 3 DS games that you wanted to play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back