Nine Inch Nails new album out
Mar 6, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #76 of 98
I have been listening to the album for a day now. I was hugely excited in format of the collection (instrumental). The Fragile had some very nice examples of what I was expecting.

I agree with viro, part IV is easily the strongest most cohesive section of the album.

However...during some of the songs ~ 10 or so...I felt that I was listening to something that hit the cutting room floor during TR's most recent studio efforts WT and YZ. The tracks felt like something that he decided not to further develop or write lyrics for.

Overall, I am happy with the $5 price tag for the download. I am a huge NIN fan and have been since PHM. I think though I would have been a little disappointed if I bought anything above the $10 cd set.

I would recommend to people who have not purchased it yet to try and find a way to listen to it before getting overly excited and buying one of the pricier packages.

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #77 of 98
It's an album full of experimentation. This is sort of like a window into Trent and the gang's creative process. The cuts are more ambient and free-form than "song-like," but they still make for some very imaginative background music.

I agree with the rest of you guys... It's an album that progressively gets better as it wears on. A slow start, but then uphill. I think I'll buy the CD when it comes around, but I don't know if the project is interesting enough to me to warrant the extras package, especially since I probably won't have a Blu-Ray player for quite a while.

Presumably, this gives us a window into what Year Zero pt. 2 will sound like, in addition to taking a look back at past albums' instrumental sounds.

Mar 6, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #79 of 98
I'm glad I saw this thread! I just paid for the CDs and the download ($10 option). I like Nine Inch Nails, but not enough to buy the $75 disc set. Only Radiohead, The Tragically Hip and Steve Earle engender that kind of love from me.

Mar 24, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #80 of 98
I downloaded this a few weeks ago. Great set. $5 for 32 tracks.. can't beat it. Nice to see NIN step away from the usual music industry and offer a great 4-disc album for less than you can get a used CD on ebay.

When you download, you have the option to select what format. You can get flac. I opted for apple lossless since I use itunes.

We need more instrumentals from rock bands. Tool would be a goo one.

Apr 2, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #82 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip> </snip>We need more instrumentals from rock bands. Tool would be a good one.

I agree 100%. Maynard has said that with Puscifer, he was thinking of trying this type of release package, but so far, I haven't seen anything along those lines. Although Puscifer isn't Tool, I think there is a lot of creativity between TR (and Thom Yorke) and Maynard alike, and when it spills out into this "outside the box" (i.e. RIAA), there is a chance for many of us to benefit.

I am on track 9 on ghosts 1, and I think its great. I listened to the free streaming while I was downloading the album. I went for the $10 package. I may someday pony up the funds to buy one of the $75 dollar packages off ebay, assuming they will be out there. I definitely want to get the blu-ray when the time comes. Just can't afford a player or a killer 2 ch system right now, so it will have to wait.

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #83 of 98
My take on it, is it's a little self indulgent! I'll have to listen more, but that was my first impression. Granted I'm only familiar with a limited number of NIN's stuff. However, I'm a big Tool fan!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #84 of 98
The new songs are great! Really like the mood of Ghosts..looking forward to hearing the vinyl.

Apr 2, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #85 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marzie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree 100%. Maynard has said that with Puscifer, he was thinking of trying this type of release package, but so far, I haven't seen anything along those lines. Although Puscifer isn't Tool, I think there is a lot of creativity between TR (and Thom Yorke) and Maynard alike, and when it spills out into this "outside the box" (i.e. RIAA), there is a chance for many of us to benefit.

Don't mean to be dense here, but what is TR? I would love to hear a collaboration between Thom Yorke and Maynard - that would be very interesting.

Brad

Apr 2, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #86 of 98
TR = Trent Reznor. No reason I didn't spell it out other than I already saw it used that way here.

A collabo would be awesome. When you think about it, they are similar in that they both are extremely private in their personal lives (from what I know of each...) yet both brilliant in their respective genres. They both change and evolve between one album and the next. There are probably more, but I have to get back to work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #87 of 98
I wanted to know the album better before giving my opinion. Now that I know the album really well, I'm still not really sure what to think about it.

I love some of the tracks, others feel like left outs from other albums, especially the Fragile. As always with NIN, there's nothing I don't like.

But I have to say I don't think it really works as an album. It's a bit too long to really listen to it from the beginning to the end in one session. It can even be almost boring sometimes, although the quiet and heavy tracks are well spread out.

Ultimately I found out it works better when I listen to my whole NIN collection in shuffle mode. It adds a new level to the collection.

Apr 12, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #89 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My CD just showed up in the mail! Anyone else get theirs yet?

Still waiting. Hopefully mine will get here today....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back