Nine Inch Nails new album out
Mar 4, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #61 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love that artists are sticking it to the labels-I hope many more follow suit...

Granted they have to be pretty damn well established and have the money and understanding of the business to get started. So its tough for new acts. Nothing like a record company for getting their name out there quick and strong.

Mar 4, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #62 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Granted they have to be pretty damn well established and have the money and understanding of the business to get started. So its tough for new acts. Nothing like a record company for getting their name out there quick and strong.

What we need is a website (lets call it mp3.com) where new bands can do exactly what Trent is doing. Bands sign up and pay say $30/month or so (for bandwidth charges, credit card charges, and such) and they can sell their music or do whatever they want with it.

I know there are bands on myspace but I refuse to step my digital foot on that toxic wasteland. If there is a site like I described already out there let me know, I'd be interested in checking it out.

Mar 4, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #64 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSurSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa. Jeez, maybe the guy didn't know about mp3.com

Anyways, I enjoyed this album. Definitely harkens back to the old days, ie. The Downward Spiral and The Fragile, which is a good thing, imo.

Oh I know all about mp3.com, it used to be a fantasic place to find new artists but now it's a shell of its former self.

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #69 of 98
Bought the CD and snagged the 320 CBR MP3 from a torrent. Its pretty great so far, but you can definitely sense the 'collaborative' aspect in certain places; some stuff sounds like it was written by Trent, some doesn't.
Ghosts IV seems to be where everything gels and really starts to gain momentum or finesse.
A very minor criticism of the album is that nearly every song is 2-3 minutes long. It would have been nice to hear a few longer songs, perhaps with short transitional songs, like A Warm Place.

The site mentioned the good chance of future Ghosts sessions or similar. It would be great if there was something released that was just Trent material, from start to finish. A solo album of sorts.

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #70 of 98
My download link from ordering the album yesterday seems to be working, and downloading fast as of this moment.
3000smile.gif

already at 50% downloaded, so if you have a link in your email give it a try now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #71 of 98
I just bought the download FLAC version. Download speed is great.

I can't say I liked the last couple of albums from NIN but I do very much like the way Reznor thinks regarding music distribution.

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #72 of 98
My email link also started working, at least working at faster then 5kb/sec.

I liked what I have heard so far, not quite what I was expecting, but I like it. Now I have to sit and wait for my CDs to show up.

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #73 of 98
I have had the flac version of the album since about an hour after it was released. Although I must admit, I was checking the site ever since Trent posted on Feb 16 "two weeks". I was also lucky when at 6:10 CT on Sunday, I then noticed a new message saying "Two Hours". Needless to say I ended up getting on the site the min it was released at 8 PM CT.

Oh yea I am a huge NIN fan if you didn't notice.

Mar 4, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #74 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Granted they have to be pretty damn well established and have the money and understanding of the business to get started

We know the LE has sold out. I'd like to know the numbers for the DE. $75 is purty strong. Me bets there's a healthy margin to help offset the leechers. TR ain't no Robin Hood. Me thinks Trent looked progressive by dropping the joint free and cc, then bends over the fans with the DE and LE to keep black. So the loyal fans and Halo collectors who pay for the jazz are subsidizing the rest.

Minus the inflated shipping, he's already cleared $750k with the LE. Let's make a modest assumption that twice the amount of DE's have been sold for a total sum, minus shipping, of $1.125m after only a couple days. I'd love to know the margin. Am I off base?

--

Quote:

Ghosts IV seems to be where everything gels and really starts to gain momentum

I'm down with that. Each successive group improves over the last with the last batch of songs er soundscapes - 32 Ghosts through 36 Ghosts - as the strongest. For some reason, the Danny the Dog soundtrack by Massive Attack pops in my head when I listen to Ghosts. Both seem to favor the concept over the execution a bit too much. Still, Ghosts is quality to my ears. I've been enjoying it as a nice change of pace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back