NIN: Ghosts - Free high resolution
May 18, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #16 of 20
Yeah, I did a search right after I posted and it does. How do you create the files though. I've got a load of 24/96Khz FLACs which I'd like to play at full resolution from iTunes w/o having to dither down / downsample to 16/48. In the meantime, I'm using Foobar...

EDIT: OK why did I never think of doing this. FLAC -> WAV via dBpoweramp, then import and convert straight to ALAC. Works like a treat. The main problem is the intermediary 24/96kHz WAVs are absolutely massive... The other problem being that I lose all the FLAC tagging when converting to WAV, then importing into iTunes before encoding into ALAC. If I go 24/96 FLAC to 16/96WAV, then straight to 16/96 ALAC using dBpoweramp, I don't lose the tags. Seems like iTunes cannot read WAV tagging (understandable though considering the nature of WAV). I wonder why the dBpoweramp ALAC encoder doesn't support anything higher than 16bit. I can't afford to spend time retagging the files as some the albums are a few dozen to a hundred tracks long (eg Linn Records - Messiah, Matthew Passion).

I'll try using WMA Lossless as the intermediary and then importing/converting using iTunes. The file sizes will be more manageable and tagging should be retained.

EDIT2: hmm doesn't work. WMA Lossless 24/96 gets automatically converted to 16/48 ALAC. Tags are retained though.

May 19, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for sharing. I wasn't aware of ALAC's support for 24/96? How do you create them?

I use Max to encode to Apple Lossless. As long as the source files (FLAC, WAVE, AIFF, ...) are 24-Bit/96KHz they will end up as such.

Jun 25, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #18 of 20
Looks like the torrent is dead plus I don't have a demonoid account/invite
frown.gif

Can I get this from anyone?

I just listened to the slip 24/96 flac and compared it to the LAME V1 mp3.. the difference is mindblowing!

This is coming from someone who can't really even make out the difference between 128kbps and CD.

The difference almost sounds like a comparison between 64kbps mp3 and CD.

Jun 26, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by astro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like the torrent is dead plus I don't have a demonoid account/invite
frown.gif

Can I get this from anyone?

I just listened to the slip 24/96 flac and compared it to the LAME V1 mp3.. the difference is mindblowing!

This is coming from someone who can't really even make out the difference between 128kbps and CD.

I will look into this when I finish work, rest assured I will re-seed and send you an invite if necessary
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by astro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is interesting. I've been tempted to get the 24/96 FLAC for sometime, but I am concerned about the quality different to MP3. Someone sent me one of the tracks in standard Apple Lossless because I was making comments on how the sound quality on the MP3s isn't that good (I've found The Slip to be the worst NIN album sound-quality wise with recent listening), but I found no difference what so ever. Maybe that 24/96 is the way to go, but according to my CDP my soundcard isn't actually out-putting 24-bit digital (even though you can select it), so maybe it won't help.

By the way, I'm not sure if this has been covered or not, but on the Ghosts I-IV editions with the multi-layer tracks, extra layers were found and put together to form two additional songs, 37 and 38 (don't know if they were named officially, as I never really looked into it, but everyone calls them that). Search around and you can find downloads (Echoing The Sound forums are probably your best bet, but I have no direct links saved) in all sorts of formats. I was especially impressed by 38.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back