NIMH rechargeable batteries + mp3 player=good?
Sep 18, 2005 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

JLanguage

New Head-Fier
Is it worth to buy NIMH batteries and a charger for my Samsung YP-MT6X MP3 player? How much of an increase in battery life would 2000+ mAh batteries yield? If so, would would the stuff at radioshack be fine, or should I go with something like this?

Thanks,

-Jonathan.

Sep 18, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 14
Cool, have almost the same setup as you, except my YP-MT6 is 1GB. Getting brand name NiMH batteries are recomended, since cheapie rechargables aren't as reliable as them, IME. I bought some cheapie 2000 mAH NiMH batteries, and they have problems charging up. I use Energizer 2300mAH and Duracell 2050mAH rechargables. Much more reliable, and holds a charge for quite a while.
They last a little bit less than regular alkaline batteries, but they're much more convienient, as you can charge them back up, and you don't need to toss the used up battery. You can also carry a spare battery on you, and charge up the other battery once you get home.

Sep 18, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 14
Wal-Mart usually has a deal on Energizer NiMH and a charger. I've been using rechargeables my whole life. I've never understood why people buy non-rechargeables (other than for things like remote controls, but I never had a problem using Ni-Cads for that, either).

Sep 18, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter
Cool, have almost the same setup as you, except my YP-MT6 is 1GB. Getting brand name NiMH batteries are recomended, since cheapie rechargables aren't as reliable as them, IME. I bought some cheapie 2000 mAH NiMH batteries, and they have problems charging up. I use Energizer 2300mAH and Duracell 2050mAH rechargables. Much more reliable, and holds a charge for quite a while.
They last a little bit less than regular alkaline batteries, but they're much more convienient, as you can charge them back up, and you don't need to toss the used up battery. You can also carry a spare battery on you, and charge up the other battery once you get home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
i find that nimh's last longer than alkalines. they're a very good upgrade, worth every penny. the initial cost is high, but i have used the same set of 1800mah batteries for 5 years now, and they can still hold a charge. they're down to about 1200mah now i'm guessing, but still work excellent.

You're both correct - depending on the application. Based on my tests on a portable CD player with mediocre battery life, I've found regular (non-Ultra) alkalines to last no longer than fully charged 2200mAh NiMH rechargeables. And since most MP3 players are even more power-hungry than most portable CD players, expect even the most robust alkalines to poop out sooner than most fully charged 2000mAh NiMH rechargeables in MP3 player applications.

Nov 2, 2005 at 9:03 AM Post #6 of 14
Hi,

I've noticed that in Korea the YP-MT6 is sold with
a rechargable battery and a charger. I also experience
very long battry life with my Sanyo/GP 2300 mAh battries.

E. Shirron

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #7 of 14
AFAIK, this has a lot to do with the min voltage requirement of whatever device is using the battery.

My flash mp3 (S30 with 1 gig) is finicky and doesn't last near as long, but I have many other applications that it can last far longer.

So because NiMH usually have a bit lower voltage then Alkaline they may be "dead" to the device earlier even though having plenty of charge or mAh remaining. Or since usually the NiMH has more charge or mAh (milli amp hours or energy stored at spec voltage) if the voltage requirements are less strict you can run longer...stronger...

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 14
Obviously they do lose their charge potential gradually over time, so its worth getting fresh ones every few years, also depending on how you have used them.

Also you will find the max mAh or power of the batteries are forever increasing. When I got my AAs the max was 2000mAh, now isn't it like 2700mAh?

A 35% jump in a few years. Thats a fair bit.
icon10.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 14
I have a bunch of 2700mah's for my dat and they work great in comparison to alkalines which are bone dry in 2-3 hrs tops, i get at least 4 hrs with nimh's.

Plus, you save a bunch of money and help protect the environment with rechargeables.
cool.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
Q: if you have a DAP, the battery dies, manufacturer no longer stock those batts, ebays unhelpful, is it wise for some DIY? Or just buy a new DAP?

Not that I'm asking for now. Just for future

Not sure, but i know there's always the battery pack option.

But, that's a good question.

Nov 2, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
Q: if you have a DAP, the battery dies, manufacturer no longer stock those batts, ebays unhelpful, is it wise for some DIY? Or just buy a new DAP?

Not that I'm asking for now. Just for future

Money is the only consideration here. If you can afford it get a new DAP, plus it'll have newer technology and likely be better.

Nov 4, 2005 at 11:45 AM Post #13 of 14
NiMH is the way to go. May cost a bit more at first, but over the time it will be cheaper and more flexible.
I use only Sanyo cells (also branded as Sony, Kodak, Olympus, Canon, Energizer, Varta) and in my experience they are the best. The new 2500 mAh cells by Sanyo are excellent. Also make sure that you get a good charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back