Nik's New Angstrom Research Amp (warning: pics)
Jul 18, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #106 of 130
Congrats on your new amp nik. Cant wait to hear more about it. Very kind of you to offer near strangers to audition your top-notch equipment. You truly are an asset to this and all headphone communities... You really have and continue to raise the bar. Take Care and have fun with that gorgeous new amp!

Jul 18, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #107 of 130
Thanks a lot for your words!

I'm just writing a "complete rew" (as I can) about the amp, but hour by hour this monster increase his INCREDIBLE capacity... I also waiting for a detailed specs by Mr. Garlaschi (designer).

And more, my English needs a lot of time... but when ready I'll post the impression...

Regards!
Nicola

Jul 19, 2003 at 1:18 AM Post #108 of 130
True that, Nefarion... True that...
biggrin.gif

I keep picturing the rich Renaissance patrons who supported all the scientific and artistic advancements of the age when I think of Nik.
biggrin.gif
There are few people who can afford and even fewer people who actually will raise the standards like this and show the world what headphones are really capable of.

Nik should really get an honorary custom title for his extraordinary quest for sonic excellence
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2003 at 7:46 AM Post #109 of 130
Hi doobooloo,

very nice for me to read your fine words, thanks a lot!

I'm really happy to show to the friends my audio experiences, not just for vanity, but because, may be ... I can to help someone in equipment's chois, and specially for those who consider headphones audio acessory...

Many thanks boy!
Nicola

Jul 19, 2003 at 1:52 PM Post #110 of 130
I’m still learning and knowing the new Angstrom, just to say… an impression I have is like if all my CD are now “remastered”, and it’s difficult to recognise the realise date of the recording. For example, last night I was listening an Italian singer (Ornella Vanoni) and my comment was: a very good recording, certainly of this year… but the CD was 1995! So I’m a little confused, because this amp is changing my parameters in judging recordings… nice! Until now I’m surprised at each listening session, each CD gives to me a particular sensation or for an incredible bass, or for the transparency or for the beautiful voice of my loved jazz/pop female singers…

Nicola
eek.gif
280smile.gif

Jul 19, 2003 at 3:19 PM Post #111 of 130
Quote:

Originally posted by Nik
because this amp is changing my parameters in judging recordings… nice! Until now I’m surprised at each listening session, each CD gives to me a particular sensation or for an incredible bass, or for the transparency or for the beautiful voice of my loved jazz/pop female singers…

Congrats nik,

A good system/equipment should transcend bad recordings and just leaves you with music.

It's amasing when you discover you can have resolution and musicality.

Jul 19, 2003 at 6:27 PM Post #113 of 130
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Sheesh Nik! I'm still wating for the balanced tube monoblocks that they are going to make for you R10
wink.gif

Sorry, but I can't to find the word "Sheesh" in my English dictionary!

Bye!
Nicola
confused.gif
mad.gif

Jul 19, 2003 at 9:43 PM Post #114 of 130
Quote:

Originally posted by Nik
Sorry, but I can't to find the word "Sheesh" in my English dictionary!

It is just an exclamation. You're unlikely to find it in an English dictionary.

Jul 20, 2003 at 4:48 AM Post #115 of 130
Quote:

Originally posted by Nik
I’m still learning and knowing the new Angstrom, just to say… an impression I have is like if all my CD are now “remastered”, and it’s difficult to recognise the realise date of the recording. For example, last night I was listening an Italian singer (Ornella Vanoni) and my comment was: a very good recording, certainly of this year… but the CD was 1995! So I’m a little confused, because this amp is changing my parameters in judging recordings… nice! Until now I’m surprised at each listening session, each CD gives to me a particular sensation or for an incredible bass, or for the transparency or for the beautiful voice of my loved jazz/pop female singers…
Nicola
eek.gif
280smile.gif

Nik,

I only wish I was privileged to hear your new amp. Congratulations on achieving what almost all of the rest of us can only wish for.

JC

Jul 20, 2003 at 11:32 AM Post #116 of 130
I never had a so long time impressioning my self for a new toy... really this time I have to do with a very outstanding product! This machine is "live"... my experience now is like when you go to the theatre and during the show there are differents scenes, you can hear the changes of the scenes even in the same CD, track by track, is incredible!In some track you are captured by the beautifulness of the voice (for ex.), then, you go on, and your eyes are fixed on a particulary bass, or in a extraordinary open scene...

Guys I'm really captured by this "music maker" that is the Angstrom Reseach tow box headphone amplifier. Thanks to all for your congrats words!!!

Tomorrow I'll post a complete rew.

See you soon!
Nicola
rolleyes.gif
redface.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
600smile.gif
280smile.gif
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2003 at 11:54 AM Post #117 of 130
Nik,

Congratulations on your great machine. You know you've finally found 'it' when you can sit down and enjoy the music and not think geese the bass on these headphones are lacking or I wish there was a little more treble extension...

Nik we envy you!

Jul 20, 2003 at 2:13 PM Post #118 of 130
Exactely what you said!
But 18 mounths waiting for what I'm now listening...!!!

At my ears do not exist more words like: hi-fi or hi-end but only pleasure of music and my listenings now are much more relaxed, because my head goes just to the quality of the musician or singers or original instruments used in that recording... no more in any aspect of the equipment that is totally disappearanced.

Best!
Nicola

eek.gif
eek.gif
280smile.gif

Jul 21, 2003 at 8:36 AM Post #120 of 130
Angstrom Research Reference Class A headphone amplifier with separated power supply!

A unknown frontier in headphone reproduction!

A little history:

This monster is the big brother of the first model Angstrom Research that I sold to a friend of HeadFi. I sold it because I had a problem with my cans and the output socket and even because at that time I was waiting for the Manley 300B preamp that do not is been what I was thinking about it. I had a “hum-noise” problem with this preamp as you know (…). I was very depressed when I received the Manley (after two mounts of wait!!!), and I resolved to sell it quickly. Than I asked to Mr. Roberto Garlaschi for another edition of his custom amp that was the best amp I had for R10. Mr. Galraschi spoke with me about his project of a very massive two box dedicated headphone amp, a new one, because that first amp was an upgrade of my wooden R10H (first custom amp I had for the R10). Now Mr. Garlaschi has built for me the two box amp. Two box for better dissipation of internal heat and better (larger) disposition of the parts inside. The amp adopts two new custom amorphous output transformers and chokes very, very hi quality, hand built (25 days each one!!!), special copper is used. A new military cable for internal cabling. The potentiometer is the excellent Penny & Giles (a special series), even better than the precedent Alps RK 50. The Sovtek 6C45 as signal tubes, this little triode is spectacular, (better than the rare and expensive WE437A). The amp is totally stabilized and filtered.

Impresions of a new kind of listening (posted on the Head.fi.org)

”Dear friends,
only two words as a first impression:

… I’m attached to my armchair, I really had fear… with my mouth wide-opened!

The designer Mr. Garlaschi that is here for the first test of the amp, told me that the unit is working to his 50%, all the components inside are totally new and they need a several time of burn-in (200 h.).

An impression I have of this monster is that I never experimented before: how can is possible to combine incredible power and incredible delicacy... DREAM!

Time after time the unit is giving always more... I think the burn-in of this eq. will be very, very important.

I never heard a double bass like this time... (just for those who do not believe in R10's bass).

It seems that this incredible object EAT MUSIC, I mean that he increases time after time! I never experienced the effect of the burning in a machine like this time! And I know that the amp needs not less than 20 days working day and night 24/24 h. for deliver all his potentiality.

The 3D I’m listening is superb, no any other amp (even the first Angstrom) had this profundity, I think is easy to hear the left/right extension (with cans), but not so simple the other dimension behind/forward. In comparison the processor effect of the Headroom is little thing, you have a complete three- dimensional effect in a very big out-head sensation.

I'm questioning myself about: is my amp typically tube sound or SS sound? I'm arrived to this conclusion: not tube, not SS... but MUSIC! Is the same experience I had when I auditioned for the first time the Sondek CD 12 (and the R10...) these equipments are simply MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS, they PLAY MUSIC more than reproduce music.

I never had a so long time impressioning my self for a new toy... really this time I have to do with a very outstanding product! This machine is "live"... my experience now is like when you go to the theatre and during the show there are different scenes, you can hear the changes of the scenes even in the same CD, track by track, is incredible! In some track you are captured by the beautifulness of the voice (for ex.), then, you go on, and your eyes are fixed on a particular bass, or in a extraordinary open scene...

At my ears do not exist more words like: hi-fi or hi-end but only pleasure of music and my listenings now are much more relaxed, because my head goes just to the quality of the musician or singers or original instrument used in that recording... no more in any aspect of the equipment that is totally disappearanced.”

When the music become experience!

Without any doubt the absolutely best headphone amp I had is the custom made Angstrom Research two box built by Mr. Roberto Garlaschi, here in Italy. A very big amp, with full regulated tube power supply and incredible overdimensioned and ultimate quality components. I never experimented this BIG dimension of the sound: incredible channel separation, the bass is abyssal and in the same time the hi definition gives to this object the first place in the sky of all the headphone amps I had. And I think even between all the headphone amps in the planet. Respect to the first model I notice a finest sound and more detailed.
The Angstrom Research two box is definitely THE BEST considering all the aspects in sound reproduction and quality construction. The air you can find between each instrument is simply incredible, the distance between each voice, even the most hidden in the recordings, is something I never experienced before. The channel separation is another big impression you have listening with this piece of art. Power, power and details… unlimited bass and impressive soundstage. The dimensions of the musical instrument are like the reality. The human voice gives to you the sensation of the air that come to you from the lips of the singers… physic effect! And you are really “inside” the music like in a virtual sensation, but in a very large space around you. I was forgetting a very important aspect: this amp is incredibly quite! Absolutely silent. Well, I cannot to find any defect in this amp… the price??? Yes is a very hi price for a headphone amp, but not for THIS headphone amp. Period! This price, even if the highest I paid for an amp, is the most proportioned to the quality of all the headphone amps I had. I’m really convinced that this big amount of money is totally correspondent to the quality of the object, and the Angstrom Research two box (finally!!!) is THE amp for my equipment. But thinking well a little defect I find, but just this: a lot of time to build an exemplar: 90 days… With this combo you have the sensation to “SEE” the music, your eyes are captured as your ears… and each listening section become a NEW EXPERIENCE OF LIFE. Believe me: this headphones system marks a new standard in headphone listening, I’d really wish that all of you could to do this experience one time in the life!

Price:

The first version of the Angstrom Research (one box) costs 7000 U$, as you can see on http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ube&1056700277 and this new model (two box) will be around 15000 U$. Consider that only for parts there are 7000$!!! Certainly this is the most expensive headphone amp. on the earth and I think even the most expensive ever made. This amp will be the last for my R10, after a lot of money and time spent listening, a considerable number of quality headphone amps like EAR HP-4, Manley 300B preamp, Sugden Headmaster, Grado, Headroom The Max, the very good custom R10H and others.

Considerations:

I’m now convinced that headphone amp. needs just simple, very simple circuitry, but the highest quality of output transformers, signal tubes, potentiometer (volume regulation) and air cabled construction, hand made point by point. The Angstrom Research two box owns all this: has a very simple scheme, but an incredible power supply, totally regulated (voltage-regulator) and stabilized with tubes that permits to each components the finest result. Another important thing is even the two box dual mono construction, this is the first time I have a separated power supply and I can ear the difference (powerful and dynamic). The second amp, that would be the R10H and than the EAR HP-4, are very distant from this ultimate impressive amp. I can’t imagine a headphone amp that sounds better than this monster, so sincerely I give to the Angstrom Research two box 10/10 and this is THE LAST amp for me. Now finally I’ll can to spend my time just for listening MUSIC with my ultimate headphone equipment. A very long history, suffering (especially for the last Manley preamp surprise), but now I can to tell: a happy end!!!

I’m sure that the Angstrom Research/Sony MDR-R10 combo is the best sound (all parameters) from any headphones system in the planet!!!

What they do not have… (in comparison)

Just to do a little comparison (one word) with the best amp I had, I ‘m telling what these amp sound respect to the Angstrom Research two box.

Sugden Headmaster: aseptic
EAR HP-4: fragile
Headroom The Max: compressed
Manley 300B: noisy
R10H: little
Angstrom (one box): rough

Later I'll write some specs of the amplifier (...).

Greetings:

Thanks to all of you headfiers for your patience in reading my English and hearing my consideration about headphones and amplifiers.
My thanks especially go to Mr. Roberto Garlaschi from Italy that I consider a very hi quality designer and today even a dear friend of mine.

Best regards to everyone!
Nicola

Users who are viewing this thread

Back