Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Oct 19, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #1,546 of 1,782
I have a niimbus us4+ on the way. Dacs are yggdrasil og a2 and t+a dac 200. I had also read Enelum was on the warm side for a ss amp where as niimbus was the king of clarity and detail. Seems like some people have different oppinions and some of it might be system synergy.

I'll be interested to see how the niimbus sounds compared to my current ss amps. I got it for Abyss ab 1266 phi tc and Susvara.
I highly rate the niimbus with my susvaras.

when i have demoed the 1266 tc i have not had any issue with the dip in the mids that i read about.
I’m interested to hear what you think as the niimbus is the only amp that i have heard the 1266 with

Oct 22, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #1,548 of 1,782
Just got the niimbus fired up. I usually don't write any impressions until I had some time behind some gear but immediately I was hearing micro textures with the niimbus that never presented themselves before.

Clearly a cut above the rest. For solid states I've owned magni, hdva600, holo bliss kte, mjolnir 3, and now the niimbus. I'm hearing faint textures I never heard before. I tried playing the hdva600 and the niimbus makes it sound dull.. I'll need some time behind this amp to see what it is capable of.

Oct 23, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #1,549 of 1,782
Textures is also a (key)word i used when i first bought my us4

Oct 23, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #1,550 of 1,782
Just got the niimbus fired up. I usually don't write any impressions until I had some time behind some gear but immediately I was hearing micro textures with the niimbus that never presented themselves before.

Clearly a cut above the rest. For solid states I've owned magni, hdva600, holo bliss kte, mjolnir 3, and now the niimbus. I'm hearing faint textures I never heard before. I tried playing the hdva600 and the niimbus makes it sound dull.. I'll need some time behind this amp to see what it is capable of.
Still decided to look for a more suitable amplifier?
Niimbus not your cup of tea?

Before selling the amplifier, try adjusting the gain so that a comfortable volume level is in the position 16.00 - 17.00 o'clock.
The purest and most dynamic sound of an amplifier is achieved precisely with these settings.
Good luck finding the right device.

Oct 23, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #1,551 of 1,782
Still decided to look for a more suitable amplifier?
Niimbus not your cup of tea?

Before selling the amplifier, try adjusting the gain so that a comfortable volume level is in the position 16.00 - 17.00 o'clock.
The purest and most dynamic sound of an amplifier is achieved precisely with these settings.
The amp sounds fantastic and I might have to re-evaluate my listing and give it another shot before I sell. I just wasn't a fan of the volume knob. When adjusting the volume on occasion I could hear the relay system affecting the output sound while the volume was changing. I contacted the seller I bought it from here on headfi and he assured me this was normal with the Niimbus. When the volume is set the clarity of this amp is on another level above other amplifiers. I suppose the relay volume adjustment is a trade off for superior audio quality and accurate volume adjustment. Holo bliss kte had something similar but it didn't affect the output as much when turning the volume knob.

I know for someone who values absolute clarity and detail this won't be a problem but I am interested to see what other amps are like on the market.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #1,553 of 1,782
So you say that Niimbus is better sounding AMP than Bliss?
I compared Bliss and Niimbus using DCA Stealth headphones. Niimbus has higher resolution, better mids, and better texturing throughout the entire range. Bliss has more bass, but lower resolution. To the ear, Bliss has more feedback, which is why some sound reflections, echoes and after-sounds are missing. This is a preliminary opinion for now, because my Bliss has only been working for 2 weeks. There is a suspicion that it has not fully warmed up and for this reason it does not show very impressive results.

This and next week I will compare amplifiers using Abyss 1266.

Oct 24, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #1,554 of 1,782
try adjusting the gain so that a comfortable volume level is in the position 16.00 - 17.00 o'clock.
are you saying that is true with an=all amps or just the nimbus? I mean have you tried out so many?

Oct 24, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #1,555 of 1,782
are you saying that is true with an=all amps or just the nimbus? I mean have you tried out so many?
This trick works with all amplifiers.
BUT! Not all amplifiers have the ability to adjust the preamp so that you can use a balanced headphone output and turn the volume control to the 16-17 o'clock position.
Thanks to the dip switches (Vio, Niimbus) we can perform this exercise with any headset and any DAC (any voltage). Try it.

The essence of this trick is that you almost completely eliminate the resistive load of the volume control from the circuit. Those. The volume control does not interfere with the signal. You always get positive results, no matter what type of volume control is installed in your amplifier.

p.s.
I use a Fostex 610 with a Vio 590, set the pre-gain to "-18" and set the volume control to maximum. With this setup, the system sounds so impressive that there is no need to use HQ Player (I get almost the same sound).

p.p.s.
When using the VIO amplifier, you need to be careful not to set the pre-gain to “-24”. In this case, you, like the heroine of the movie "Lucy", will begin to hear not only the smallest nuances in music (inaccessible before), but also the movement of atoms, as well as how the universe is expanding.
stalking-lucy.gif

Nov 9, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #1,556 of 1,782
Does anyone know if the 4.4mm balanced output is any different than the XLR balanced output? I know on some amps the 4.4 is meant for more sensitive headphones and maybe the output impendence is different? Just curious because I wanted to purchase a new headphone cable for my Utopias and was debating going with 4.4 instead of XLR. Thanks!

Nov 10, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #1,559 of 1,782
I have my us4+ listed in classifieds with a big price drop.
Unfortunately the us4 is underrated by those that have not heard it

nonetheless glws

Nov 10, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #1,560 of 1,782
Unfortunately the us4 is underrated by those that have not heard it

nonetheless glws
That's right. It's hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back