Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Jan 25, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #541 of 1,796
the market is the market, if the product is good enough it will sell if not it wont....I expect the nimbus to be outstanding

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #549 of 1,796
I tested all my cans, same result, everything sound just better!
Niimbus create amazing soundstage, last time i heard that good amp with simillar soundstage was Bryston BHA-1 but he is nowhere near in every category exept soundstage.

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #550 of 1,796
I tested all my cans, same result, everything sound just better!
Niimbus create amazing soundstage, last time i heard that good amp with simillar soundstage was Bryston BHA-1 but he is nowhere near in every category exept soundstage.

Thanks for answering my question, so how would you position GS-X mini against BHA-1 considering your comparison of both to Niimbus?

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #552 of 1,796
in playing around with my gear is there any danger in me:

using the us4 unbalanced output connections with an output gain of +12 db or +15 db to connect it to my woo wa2 amp to use with my susvaras?
is there extra/too much power going into my woo amp like this?

(selecting fixed line output signal into woo amp)

thanks

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #553 of 1,796
in playing around with my gear is there any danger in me:

using the us4 unbalanced output connections with an output gain of +12 db or +15 db to connect it to my woo wa2 amp to use with my susvaras?
is there extra/too much power going into my woo amp like this?

(selecting fixed line output signal into woo amp)

thanks

What would you want to achieve? A higher pre gain? The US4 should drive the Susvara very nicely. I'd personally try to have as few as possible components in the analog chain.

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #554 of 1,796
What would you want to achieve? A higher pre gain? The US4 should drive the Susvara very nicely. I'd personally try to have as few as possible components in the analog chain.
To play with tubes though the us4 does power it better. I don’t want to blow up anything.

i received a suggestion from arthur at powerholdings (who distributes this in the USA) to try variable line out, set woo amp at 12 o'clock and see what gain level allows me to be using the niimbus working around 12 o’clock (and not needing to go past three).
i shall see what happens

edit: for those trying the same thing with a secondary amp, Arthur got back to me and explained his suggestion of selecting variable output on the us4 output, set secondary amp volume at 12 o'clock, and use the gain that has the niimbus volume being too loud when you get to about 3 o'clock (or just after) on the niimbus is the way to ensure you are use the right gain setting so the secondary amp is not being fed too much power when you then go back and set niimbus output as fixed and you are using the volume of the secondary amp

as an example, he says if you could not get the secondary amp past 9 o'clock on the volume without it being too loud, you would be in danger of overloading the second amp

i hope that makes sense (ie I have explained it well enough) for any one that was curious like I was

i have found this "pass through" feature of the violectric v280/281 and niimbus is really good as i have a woo wa2 which is my best suited amp for my hd800. And my metrum hex dac has a bit more bottom end when coming out of balanced outputs. So I have found coming out of the dac, xlr, into the violectric or niimbus amps and then in turn going out single ended from those amps to my woo wa2 just gives me a fuller bottom end due to accessing the dac xlr outputs to start with

enough of my ramblings :)
cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back