Night Oblivion Butastur thread
Aug 17, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #46 of 346
Congrats that you have received yours! :beerchug:

I had a second listening session yesterday with bass switch on and guess that will be the way I use it from now on. Just the right amount of bass added for my taste.

Right now - still honeymoon phase - the Eagle seems to be as energetic as the Neon Pro being slightly, just a tad less forward / aggressive and airier at the same time. Very nice signature up my alley. I feel as if this could become my goto set for classical music, Jazz and other more acoustic stuff while the NP will be the one for Rock/Pop/Electronic

But take this impressioms with a grain of salt, as I have not directly compared it to my NP yet which I will not do before I have settled on the right Butastur config for me...
I haven't messed with the switches.
I've been listening to my Xenns Top this morning.
It's incredible but the Xenns are very good complement to the Butastur.
One is more fan and bass heavy although detail and with a natural presentation. The other one is is more serious but very very musical.

I can now safety say, my journey in the IEM world as come to a halt.
I don't feel the need to pursuit the next thing.
I was super happy with the Xenns Top, in fact was the first IEM that blew me away since day 1... Until the Butastur arrived 😁

@AmericanSpirit I can safely say you accomplish your goal. Hi-fi for the masses!

Aug 17, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #49 of 346
Hi Tony. Curious to know how thsee compare to the EPZ530. Currently borrowing a set and a lot of energy and aggressive mids with detail. Very good but maybe a bit too forceful for me.

I'm not Tony but I have experience with both sets. The Butastur has a heavier note weight, less aggressive highs and more resolution, particularly in the treble. Technically, staging and imaging is more informative. I hear the Butastur in 0-0 as much more natural in weight than the 530 and the treble is less edgy. The extra 5BAs, particularly in the higher frequencies really open up more texture and detail.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #51 of 346
This is what Butastur is built for: a great percussive jazz album by Joël Grare called 'Follow'. As usual with Alpha recordings, it's beautifully captured with instrument postioning and stage depth reaching out far to either side. The pinna control on the Butastur gives exceptional balance to the whole soundscape, nothing is lifted forward in your face. This signature might not appeal to some people who want more forward presentations but if you want a view of the totality of a performance the Butastur is just tremendous.

Regardless of the IEM you're listening with, I hope you all get a chance to enjoy the soundscapes of Joël Grare!

Edit: Just amending with another track from Joël that is hard to pull off but that Butastur does perfectly naturally, involving bells and cymbals galore:

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #52 of 346

Thank you very much @Tonytex for very informative comparison on the butastur and Epz 530 on YouTube. I do like Epz530 very much but after watching your video, I might get Butastur as well 😂

Aug 17, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #53 of 346
Spending more time playing with the switches on Butastur today and I think in the long term I will be switching between 0-0 and 1-0.

A few distinguishing differences I'm hearing between NP on closer listening and that will really lead you one way or another...

Regardless of switch setting on Butastur or NP:

1. NP has more macrodynamics and more bass impact
2. Butastur mids are placed slightly further back and the stage feels more open because of it (+/- the effect of BRAS resonance/pressure control).
3. NP has a more organic midrange (my theory is maybe due to Sonion involvement)
4. Butastur has a lighter note weight

Butastur is delicate and detailed and NP feels more embodied and forthright. I prefer my classical/jazz/acoustic delicate and detailed and other genres a bit more energetic...

Aug 17, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #54 of 346
IMG20230817192348.jpg
IMG20230817192501.jpg
IMG20230817192415.jpg

I wish my pictures could capture their beauty 😍

Aug 17, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #59 of 346
if you pre-order now it will be shipped 1st of September
I ordered it two days ago (Tuesday) and Penon said they will send it before Aug 20th.
Maybe they lied… but I want to think they didn’t.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #60 of 346
1000056502.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back