Nigerian E-mail Scams
Jul 26, 2007 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

colonelkernel8

Headphoneus Supremus
Man, I think these are the funniest things ever. Do they really think they are fooling anyone? Stupid Nigerian Scammers.... *Edited to be more polite

CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA

FROM THE DESK OF THE EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR, CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA {CBN}
PROF.CHARLES SOLUDO
MOBILE: +234-805-984-1072

Email: cbn_governor228@yahoo.it

ATT: OUR ESTEEMED CONTRACTOR

YOUR IMMEDIATE CONTRACT PAYMENT OF $15.7
MILLION DOLLARS#:

The Federal Republic of Nigeria Government determined interest to off set all overdue Foreign Contract Payment worth of (5 Billion USD), In accordance with the New Law of payment policy, as amended to expedite the immediate settlement of all outstanding debt owed by the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Therefore I am obliged to inform you that from the records of outstanding contracts due for payment with the Federal Government of Nigeria, your name and company was discovered as next on the list of The outstanding contractor who have not received their payments.

I also wish to inform you that your payment is being processed and will be released to you as soon as you respond to this letter. Also note that from my record in my file your outstanding contract payment is $15.7 million dollars (Fifteen million seven hundred Thousand United States dollars)

Please re-confirm to me if this is inline with what you have in your record and also re-confirm to me the
followings

1) Your full name................
2) Phone, fax and mobile #.................
3) Company name, position and address...........
4) Profession, age and maritalstatus..........................
5) Copy of int'l passport or any valid working identity...............

As soon as this information are received, your payment will be made to you in a certified bank draft from central bank of Nigeria and a copy will be given to you for you to take to your bank and confirm it, And get back to me via telephone number +234-805-984-1072
Waiting for your urgent response, wishing you success in the year 2007
Regards,

PROF CHARLES SOLUDO.Executive Governor,
Central Bank Of Nigeria.(C.B.N)
MOBILE:+234-805-984-1072

Jul 26, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 21
I dunno... $15.7 million? That's a lot of money. It may be worth a shot...

wink.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 21
yeah these have been coming up a lot recently --- pretty dumb.

speaking of nigerian scams... my brother put up an ebay auction last week for an old laptop he was trying to sell... everything was going fine up until the last few hours of the auction when it all of a sudden spiked up to nearly 2x retail price and ended. turns out someone's account had been hacked into and then used to drive up the auction. my brother also received several e-mails during the listing period from people who claimed to be buying gifts for a family member in nigeria and were willing to pay extremely high amounts (higher than retail was when my brother bought the laptop 2 years ago) to get it shipped there.

ebay luckily caught the scam and credited all fees back to my brother. an ebay member e-mailed him and was willing to buy the item for him for the max bid before it went haywire and asked for a second chance offer, but since ebay closed the auction it couldn't happen. so my brother set up a private auction for the guy with a BIN price that they agreed on. well, this morning someone OTHER than the guy the auction was made for clicked buy it now and sent him an e-mail saying that they needed it shipped to nigeria for a family member ASAP and had sent the money and shipping charge (which tehy calculated at $300) to my brother. of course, this payment never actually happened and is another fine example of the types of scams these nigerian frauders are trying to get people with

Jul 26, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 21
They wouldn't be doing these scams if they never worked.

Jul 26, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 21
There are a lot of stupid people out there, and a lot of people who will gladly ignore their better judgement in exchange for a little bit of hope. Between the two groups the scammers do pretty well... though in a little while after everyone has growen up around the internet and scammes they will have to find a new and better way(or pick on people in other countries)

Jul 27, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PROF CHARLES SOLUDO.Executive Governor,
Central Bank Of Nigeria.(C.B.N)
MOBILE:+234-805-984-1072

look at his title. he is a professor, a governor, and an executive. this has to be legitimate.
icon10.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 21
I see a lot of housing scams like that on Craigslist.

Jul 27, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 21
my brother was taken for $900 by a UK-based scammer for an ebay auction

expensive lesson for him, they can make things pretty official with spoofed URLs, IP addresses, etc... so it isn't too much of a stretch to see how someone with little computer experience (or common sense :p) could be scammed

Jul 27, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #11 of 21
If you have a lot of time to waste, take a look at thescambaiter.com. Some people go to serious efforts to get back at the 419 scammers.

Jul 27, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they always have to state Nigeria? Surely they could use another country's name to disguise their Nigerian origin?

Well... I do remember something like a nigerian scammer a few month ago in radio. That guy claimed himself as a doctor and executive of some US company branch in nigeria, and basically, he said you will get a good chunk of money by sending him a handful... first. I saw a scam report on NBC date line a few days ago, and this time the scammer called "wendy" disguise herself as an austrian trader, but it came down to nigeria at the end. It is bit sad, and sorry about those bunch of americans who ripped off by her. (or him?) I do believe nigerian are good people. But, hey what's up with nigeria and scam?

Jul 27, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #13 of 21
that is funny... in an annoying kind of way.

Curious... is there a way to filter incoming email by IP address, or proximity? So all emails originating from a specific IP location get blocked?

Jul 27, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well... I do remember something like a nigerian scammer a few month ago in radio. That guy claimed himself as a doctor and executive of some US company branch in nigeria, and basically, he said you will get a good chunk of money by sending him a handful... first. I saw a scam report on NBC date line a few days ago, and this time the scammer called "wendy" disguise herself as an austrian trader, but it came down to nigeria at the end. It is bit sad, and sorry about those bunch of americans who ripped off by her. (or him?) I do believe nigerian are good people. But, hey what's up with nigeria and scam?

I saw that Dateline investigation too... pretty scary. its also shocking how gullible people are, and how easily they set themselves up to begin with. I dated a Nigerian woman in college. She was 6-2, gorgeous and a very good volleyball player too
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
. She was really nice, fun to be around, and spoke 5-6 different languages. So not all Nigerian people are scamers and thieves.

Jul 27, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #15 of 21
No, it has to do with the laws of Nigeria. To be blunt, regarding cyber-crime there are none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back