Nickname Introductions
Aug 26, 2009 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

rockin_amigo14

Headphoneus Supremus
So nicknames are a fun part of our culture. I've been called 'Stish' since elementary school (part of my last name).

I'm just transferring to a new school this fall where no one knows me. Now my question is, do I introduce myself as my nickname or do I tell them my actual name?

How would you go about this? Any cool nicknames out there?

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 13
How bout "My friends call me Stish, it's like 'Stache, but with an Ish". Then you punch the guy out and take his woman.

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 13
To me, anybody who tells others to call them by their nickname, especially when you just met the person, is very arrogant.

I was called by my last name at the tail-end of middle school, it carried over to high school, and now even in college a few people have started it. And I never once told them that others have done it at my past schools. People have a knack to create their own (hopefully nice) nicknames for you in due time, if you seem to fit the criteria.

If you really want to suggest that you like being called by your nickname, do so in a nonchalant manner, like during a natural conversation of introducing yourself, or have some of your stuff around you "tagged" (like, your nickname on masking tape).

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

To me, anybody who tells others to call them by their nickname, especially when you just met the person, is very arrogant.

How so? Most people I've met actually prefer nicks, since they're usually shorter and easier to remember. I've never ever heard anyone being offended by a such thing, at least in an informal setting.

Anyways, to clarify my first post, I'd go with introducing your actual name, followed by your nick.

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 13
If that's what you prefer others to call you then just introduce yourself as "stish".

Personally, friends have called me several things in high school. My initials, my last name, my middle name, a short version of my middle name, a short version of my last name, etc. In college, people started doing the same even though I never told them to. I guess it's just something that comes natural... lol

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How so? Most people I've met actually prefer nicks, since they're usually shorter and easier to remember. I've never ever heard anyone being offended by a such thing, at least in an informal setting.

Anyways, to clarify my first post, I'd go with introducing your actual name, followed by your nick.

Maybe I should have clarified. Utilizing parts of your actual name is reasonable, but having others be serious about the more outrageous ones seems really out of place, and even more so if you just met the person.

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 13
Annoying perhaps, but dubbing a person arrogant? People do it to help break the ice in meeting someone new. If you're offended by such insignificance, then well, I don't know.

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #8 of 13
The local hip hop crew call me Hydrophonics cause I spit dope raps and I have sialorrhea.

I'm also known as Bocephus In Waiting to the hacker community because I code demon dialers.

At Miss Vera’s Finishing School the crazy guys dubbed me Strip Teas, because my boyfriend's name was Earl Grey, although I'm not gay.

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Annoying perhaps, but dubbing the person arrogant? People do it to help break the ice of meeting someone new, or out of habit. If you're offended by such insignificance, then, I don't what to say.

It's fine. We obviously have different outlooks and experiences on this subject, and we're about to derail the thread at this rate.

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 13
Oh you're not weaseling out of this one, you're who brought it up. I think it's a valid subject, I wasn't aware there are people who are offended by introducing oneself with a nick. Now explain to me again how you can consider someone you've yet to even know arrogant for doing this? Here's a common definition for the word:

Quote:

making claims or pretensions to superior importance or rights; overbearingly assuming; insolently proud: an arrogant public official.

So I go up to a guy in class and say "My name is Sam, but my friends call me Tiger, nice to meet you". How heavily insecure or ignorant would a person have to be to find that pretentious? If I had perhaps added an ethnic slur or boob grope at the end, then yeah, sure.

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The local hip hop crew call me Hydrophonics cause I spit dope raps and I have sialorrhea.

I'm also known as Bocephus In Waiting to the hacker community because I code demon dialers.

At Miss Vera’s Finishing School the crazy guys dubbed me Strip Teas, because my boyfriend's name was Earl Grey, although I'm not gay.

Marry me.

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #12 of 13
I never tell people my nicknames - they just make them up.
Over here at work I'm known as Minty, back in Exeter I'm known as Ginger, Ginge, the Ninja and any other variation on the word ginger (the colour of my hair unsuprisingly enough).

my friends don't seem to have nicknames - often I'll just call them a variation on their own name or a colloquial greeting. The only exception is a friend called Cornish - because he's from Cornwall...

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 13
I normally never used to introduce myself to anyone with any of my nicknames, but since I graduated from college and came to work full time, that has changed. Here at work, I got pegged with the nickname 'Cheech' (I've got the 'stache, and the skin tone and my boss cleverly pointed out that if I was 10" shorter and 10" rounder with less hair on my head, I'd be a pretty close ringer). That nickname kind of stuck and it wasn't long until everyone on the rig just started calling me Cheech. It reached the point where new people being hired never even knew what my real name was because everyone always referred to me as Cheech. When they moved me to a new rig, the name stuck because it was still on my hard hat, so for the most part, whenever I meet someone new up here at work, I usually just introduce myself as Cheech and give them my real name if they ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back