Nickel Amp reviewed and now available via pre-order
Mar 16, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #16 of 54
I will be putting together a small review soon. Trying to give enough time on the different players to understand how it interacts with them. I had a nasty head-cold this past week so that delayed my listening time. I cannot find that pesky adapter to test it with my iPhone so still digging around to try that out as well...

Mar 16, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #17 of 54
Oh, no problem at all! I really appreciate your feedback, there are literally millions of combinations out there, and it's great to get feedback about particular setups, it helps us figure out how to improve product designs (if possible) or how to increase consumer education initiatives!

Don't worry, @DanWiggins,

I will keep you informed as I go.

One thing I forgot to add earlier was when I did use the Nickel, it wasn't directly connected to the Lexicon Alpha, the audio signal was being sent out via a splitter to various head amps.
The standard 3.5 mm cable I connected it to which experienced the line noise is my dedicated 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable for all portable amps I set aside this cable for.
As stated, I only experienced the line noise two ways so far, via said 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable directly connected from the splitter to Nickel & the iBasso DX 120 via the stock 3.5 mm cable the Nickel comes with.
Everything else connected has worked brilliantly.

If possible, one day I hope to contribute to help increase consumer education initiatives.
Some days, I certainly feel in process.

Keep up the good work !

Hope you have a great day !

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #18 of 54
I will be putting together a small review soon. Trying to give enough time on the different players to understand how it interacts with them. I had a nasty head-cold this past week so that delayed my listening time. I cannot find that pesky adapter to test it with my iPhone so still digging around to try that out as well...
Head cold - the Kryptonite of Audio!!! Get better!

Mar 27, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #19 of 54
Mar 28, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #20 of 54
Mar 28, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #21 of 54
Thanks! Glad you like it... It can be deceptive in how tiny it really is, and just how powerful it can be...

For mounting, because it is so light and small, we just let it "hang" from the phone via the 3.5mm jack; thus the reason for the high-retention-force jacks, so the cable doesn't unplug itself!

@DanWiggins,

I like those high retention force jacks too, I don't believe I mentioned to you anywhere, even by email, I really like the Nickel's build quality, aside from small form factor.

The power is nice indeed ! :) :)

Mar 28, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #22 of 54
@DanWiggins,

I like those high retention force jacks too, I don't believe I mentioned to you anywhere, even by email, I really like the Nickel's build quality, aside from small form factor.

The power is nice indeed ! :) :)

Thanks! It's actually quite challenging to get a build quality with lightweight materials... When you can't machine it, and you need something that is apparently seamless/no screws, and has to account for big thermal changes (we designed in enough tolerance to account for expansion from -30 deg C to +60 deg C - essentially anywhere on the face of the Earth, at any time), it's a big challenge. Throw in the 10X legal limit RF rejection - with plastic, not metal - and it was a big effort. But we think it paid off!

Mar 28, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #23 of 54
Thanks! It's actually quite challenging to get a build quality with lightweight materials... When you can't machine it, and you need something that is apparently seamless/no screws, and has to account for big thermal changes (we designed in enough tolerance to account for expansion from -30 deg C to +60 deg C - essentially anywhere on the face of the Earth, at any time), it's a big challenge. Throw in the 10X legal limit RF rejection - with plastic, not metal - and it was a big effort. But we think it paid off!

It definitely did, @DanWiggins, it definitely did.

I am a big advocate for seamless or apparently seamless construction in anything.
Also, that wide temperature tolerance is extremely helpful though not sure I be anywhere in the world I need to use the Nickel beyond those tolerances but good to know :)

Apr 10, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #24 of 54
As much as I love this device, put a USB C port on the next one! I've suddenly found myself in a USB C only world -- it was a struggle tracking down a micro cable at my iEverything office late this afternoon.

at least it's worth the hassle....!

Apr 10, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #25 of 54
As much as I love this device, put a USB C port on the next one! I've suddenly found myself in a USB C only world -- it was a struggle tracking down a micro cable at my iEverything office late this afternoon.

at least it's worth the hassle....!
We actually spent a LOT of time debating that very thing - type C or micro B. In the end, we voted for micro B for a few reasons:

1. Micro USB type B is still mandated in the EU, so a large portion of the market has those types of cables
2. Most free cables around have a micro B available
3. Until 2 years ago, micro B was really the only option people had (other than Lightning)

So we surveyed around, and found that a much larger percentage of people had a micro B cable as compared to those who had USB C. Yeah, I have a Note 8, and it's USB C - but I still have a ton of micro B cables around (actually, I carry a 3 foot USB type A to Lightning/micro B/USB C adapter, as I have devices with both micro B and USB C). In a year or two, when the Nickel is up for redesign, we may switch to USB C, but for now, we decided to go with the more common connector.

As a guy who lived through the whole RS232/parallel/SCSI/Firewire/USB/PCMCIA changes back in the 1990s and early 2000s, I feel your pain to the Nth degree! Choosing a connector, when there is a state of flux, is tough. But we have to look at the bigger market as a whole, and try to pick out what is the common denominator for most people. And at this time, that's still micro B.

Apr 12, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #26 of 54
We actually spent a LOT of time debating that very thing - type C or micro B. In the end, we voted for micro B for a few reasons:

1. Micro USB type B is still mandated in the EU, so a large portion of the market has those types of cables
2. Most free cables around have a micro B available
3. Until 2 years ago, micro B was really the only option people had (other than Lightning)

So we surveyed around, and found that a much larger percentage of people had a micro B cable as compared to those who had USB C. Yeah, I have a Note 8, and it's USB C - but I still have a ton of micro B cables around (actually, I carry a 3 foot USB type A to Lightning/micro B/USB C adapter, as I have devices with both micro B and USB C). In a year or two, when the Nickel is up for redesign, we may switch to USB C, but for now, we decided to go with the more common connector.

As a guy who lived through the whole RS232/parallel/SCSI/Firewire/USB/PCMCIA changes back in the 1990s and early 2000s, I feel your pain to the Nth degree! Choosing a connector, when there is a state of flux, is tough. But we have to look at the bigger market as a whole, and try to pick out what is the common denominator for most people. And at this time, that's still micro B.

I agree, @DanWiggins,

LONG LIVE MICRO B ! :) :)

Can definitely relate, lived through 90s & early 2000s with the same connectors changes so I understand how much a pain that was.

I personally prefer micro B myself, I have quite a few devices with that standard which are pretty much foolproof.

I enjoy the Nickel so much I carry it with me every where ! :)

Jun 8, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #27 of 54
Here's some more details about Nickel - we talk about EVERYTHING that went into Nickel, even what components we use inside...

Jun 9, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #28 of 54
Great presentation, Dan...Based on my experience thus far with my Nickel, despite my best efforts to discover any shortcomings, it has never blinked in any way. I can confirm that the sound is absolutely the equal of any portable or desktop amp I have owned. It is amazing how good a cellphone can sound when it doesn't need to deliver power to a headphone!
I will my my detailed impressions shortly, as I am currently working through all of my sources and phones.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #29 of 54
Great presentation, Dan...Based on my experience thus far with my Nickel, despite my best efforts to discover any shortcomings, it has never blinked in any way. I can confirm that the sound is absolutely the equal of any portable or desktop amp I have owned. It is amazing how good a cellphone can sound when it doesn't need to deliver power to a headphone!
I will my my detailed impressions shortly, as I am currently working through all of my sources and phones.
Seems your findings are the Exact opposite of Rich's... So either one of you has terrible hearing or different tastes or is shilling because he said the nickel does not change the sources signature much at all just amplifies it, very source dependant. Which is a problem since my Google pixel 1 sound sucks and need something too improve the sound for sure. So if a dac that improves the sound quality is implemented in the 2nd version I'm interested just my opinion probably others are concerned of the same thing seeing only 'amp loud this loud that'. my phone can drive these xelentos pretty hard iono.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #30 of 54
I don't see that HiFlight's position is opposite. A true amp just boosts the signal given to it. Any modification to that signal means the amp is adding noise or interference. I think he was saying that since his phone's output is not doing double-duty by providing amplification, he is getting a cleaner signal that the Nickel can amplify better. I stand by what I wrote and will say that if your source is not up to par, expecting an amp to fix that is unrealistic. You may need to get a better phone or a dedicated DAP or get an amp/dac to enjoy better sounds.

I never professed to know everything and what I wrote was my opinion. We all hear things differently. There is no golden standard on something so subjective. Without trying it, you have no opinion other than what others have provided. Please do not insinuate that my opinion is bad or I am trying to curry favor, that's just rude. If you don't like what you're reading, go elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back