Nick Cave sends Grado SR-225 over the top
Mar 29, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #16 of 21
If you really want punishment listen to that track with stock HFI 780
biggrin.gif
it can be just as bright as a Grado and I just listened to that track and had to substitute my trusty old HD580 to enjoy it...the Senn's come in handy for such tracks
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #17 of 21
Alright! I'm glad someone has been able to experience this, even if with headphones other than Grados. This album is definitely high up in my play rankings, so I think I've listened to it in its entirety with all or most of the headphones I've ever had. I recall the HD580 doing a great job with it, too.

I'm guessing you have a good source in your setup as well. I say this because if I listen to the same track with my SR-225 plugged into my iPod, the treble is rolled off well enough in advance that the song actually sounds good. iPod + Grado = poor man's hi-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #18 of 21
I also own SR225 but they are not with me right now. I would be afraid to hear this track on it hahaha I am not into pain. The 780's were bright enough I took them off fairly quick.

Mar 29, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #19 of 21
This thread made me blow the dust off my old trusty SR325i/RA-1 combo which I haven't listened to for several months after switching to another pair of cans for home listening. The cymbals part preceding the chorus in Let Love In (pt. 1) was so painfully piercing to my ears that I instinctively turned the volume way down.
ER4S were better but clearly missing that energy in treble which makes Cave's older albums so distinctively different from more 'tonally balanced' recordings.
Now I'm listening to Thirstydog and OMG isn't Let Love In just great!
And Yuin PK-1s/Corda Move duo is perfect for it!

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #20 of 21
Tried the track with my 225s through the Opera and to my ears it sounds fairly recessed in the highs. The vocals sounded abit distant as well, not that well recorded IMO.
Also tried the RS1s and AD2000 through the Opera, much better sound and better extension on the top end, much better piano with the ATs.
Best of the lot was the W1000/Yamamoto combo but the cymbals still sounded very splashy. Never felt my ears were in danger with any of the setups even though I did have the volume higher than my normal levels.
The advantages of aging and creeping deafness
wink.gif

I'm sure if I switched to my Arcam cdp there would be more percieved treble but less controlled than the E-Sound.

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #21 of 21
When you get older and lose some hearing in the high frequency spectrum, youll love grados
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back