Nice to meet you
May 23, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #2 of 11
Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name! But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game.

Jun 16, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 11
Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name! But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game.

"Cans are different today," I hear every headfier say
N00bs need something today to calm them down
And though they're not really ill, there's no amp or DAC so still,
They go running for the shelter of their credit card helper

Jun 16, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 11
pinny73, it is an amazing hobby to get into ‘today’ as you have an infinite source of high quality music for a subscription fee, and can play all day…
this alone makes the most important aspect of it (playing music) super easy.

in my day it was an album by album (or CD by CD) affair. you’d buy ‘singles’.
when Australia passed a law to prohibit ‘renting CDs’, I joined the classical music appreciation society to ‘borrow’ CDs (they had an exceptional world music collection as well)..
Libraries also offered a ‘small range’, but with the shiny silver discs, they were not always ‘well looked after’. (still safer than sharing vinyl)

Nowadays, having everything at ones fingertips is a big part of making it all very accesible.
I do like the tactility of vinyl and, arguably, even CDs… (presently loaded five albums by one artist into the carousel).
That, combined with a single disc (regular CD tray) player, DJ’ing (cueing up the next album) can be fun…
But nothing is as easy as simply clicking ‘play next’/‘add to playlist’ type stuff.

I love scouring second hand CD stores for old classics, rare and hard to find releases, and limited edition ‘tour’ releases.. (often with an extra disc of live or unreleased tracks).
They typically cost $1 and due to being worthless to junkies, I will probably have them for decades even if the house gets robbed.
My child then gets to inherit my ‘playlists’.

Thanks for posting a greeting…
Welcome to Head-fi.

Jun 16, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 11
pinny73, it is an amazing hobby to get into ‘today’ as you have an infinite source of high quality music for a subscription fee, and can play all day…
this alone makes the most important aspect of it (playing music) super easy.

in my day it was an album by album (or CD by CD) affair. you’d buy ‘singles’.
when Australia passed a law to prohibit ‘renting CDs’, I joined the classical music appreciation society to ‘borrow’ CDs (they had an exceptional world music collection as well)..
Libraries also offered a ‘small range’, but with the shiny silver discs, they were not always ‘well looked after’. (still safer than sharing vinyl)

Nowadays, having everything at ones fingertips is a big part of making it all very accesible.
I do like the tactility of vinyl and, arguably, even CDs… (presently loaded five albums by one artist into the carousel).
That, combined with a single disc (regular CD tray) player, DJ’ing (cueing up the next album) can be fun…
But nothing is as easy as simply clicking ‘play next’/‘add to playlist’ type stuff.

I love scouring second hand CD stores for old classics, rare and hard to find releases, and limited edition ‘tour’ releases.. (often with an extra disc of live or unreleased tracks).
They typically cost $1 and due to being worthless to junkies, I will probably have them for decades even if the house gets robbed.
My child then gets to inherit my ‘playlists’.

Thanks for posting a greeting…
Welcome to Head-fi.
Wow what a great and detailed welcome. Such a great story. Thanks for sharing. I agree that those rare releases are good to find. Sometimes they sound better than the original mixes or versions. There's a DJ on the webs called "generic male dj's" which seems to be good at mixing those 80's alternates. Cheers.

Jun 16, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 11
"Cans are different today," I hear every headfier say
N00bs need something today to calm them down
And though they're not really ill, there's no amp or DAC so still,
They go running for the shelter of their credit card helper
…and you still can’t always get what you want…😳

Jun 17, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #9 of 11
Hey welcome, I am new here too and just got into headphone world. I was into home theater stuff years ago and now that I live in an apartment and don't have the space nor can play very loudly I turned to headphones. It really is amazing how much technology exists in the headphone world today. I really didn't expect it. I can see some of the folks here are wayyyy deep in this rabbit hole and I suspect my bad habits of trying new gear could get out of control too, kind of like it did with my home theater setup. lol

What gear are you starting with?

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 11
Hey welcome, I am new here too and just got into headphone world. I was into home theater stuff years ago and now that I live in an apartment and don't have the space nor can play very loudly I turned to headphones. It really is amazing how much technology exists in the headphone world today. I really didn't expect it. I can see some of the folks here are wayyyy deep in this rabbit hole and I suspect my bad habits of trying new gear could get out of control too, kind of like it did with my home theater setup. lol

What gear are you starting with?
Welcome, I feel you with not having space to play music loudly, I can't use speakers or even my Sundara in my own room. I'm quite envious of those who have their own living space with no one around lol

Jun 24, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #11 of 11
Wow what a great and detailed welcome. Such a great story. Thanks for sharing. I agree that those rare releases are good to find. Sometimes they sound better than the original mixes or versions. There's a DJ on the webs called "generic male dj's" which seems to be good at mixing those 80's alternates. Cheers.
My child got into Tori Amos (probably a decade of me playing Ms Amos, and loading their early music players with tracks like "Yes, Anastasia")

When the kid finally started listening to full albums of their own interest, Boys for Pele (probably my favorite Amos album), has the track "professional widow" on it- the album version is 'very different' to the chart version that radio and nightclubs play...
To say my child enjoys 'full albums' and rare/b-sides is an understatement.
After seeing as a preteen they discovered 'the Pixies'; this amazed me as there was no direct influence to this music (maybe a reference on Nirvana Unplugged?)..
My kids first Vinyl was a Pixies album...

This notion of discovering things for ones self is huge, and 'very helpful' to the emotional wellbeing of the new generations (self expression)
Music is often cathartic release and emotional engagement and 'healing' all rolled into one.
These aspects alone make it a hobby that I consider justifies 'having a budget', and better yet, a relationship with caring staff at a DEDICATED head-fi store.

The amount of personal growth/'benefit' the youth of today can develop via a mature relationship with their bank account (wants vs needs etc) and having a passion for something (with a resale value) is exceptional.
So long as they learn that amps are not about 'loudness' and can have the discipline to limit their sources...

OF course as I write this, someone, somewhere is on public transport being 'harassed' by some person overloading a cheap bluetooth speaker with a genre of music probably not fair for public space... so, nothing is absolute.. but I still would encourage many a youth to develop a skill relating to their hobby, either understanding how to assemble a sound system, or a PC..
Education is best when the student is interested.. their keen involvement helps with memory and recall.
I recall when a mate from school got into classical music and started telling me which conductors/recordings of 'any given piece' was 'the one!'.
Their passion made me smile.
As does any day on head-fi;
a world full of people coming together over a passionate hobby.
"good times"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back