NICE right angle mini connectors, do they exist??
Apr 9, 2002 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

phidauex

Sees your every move. Eats your potatoes.
I can't seem to find any good right angle mini connectors. I'd like to make my own cables, but good cable is usually rather stiff, and having right angle connectors would make that a lot easier to deal with.

The only right angle connectors I've found are Radio Shack (which I'd rather not use). The only right angle assembled mini-mini I've seen are the Straightwire interconnects at Headroom.

Why do no good connector companies (Cardas, Canare, Neutrik, etc.) make right angle mini connectors? Am I just not very observant?

Please help
smily_headphones1.gif

Peace,
phidauex

Apr 9, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 9
Try partsexpress, they have a generic gold plated one and the phoenix gold one.

I'm also thinking of making my own. What cables are you looking at??

Apr 9, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 9
PartsExpress doesn't have any 3.5 mm stereo right-angle plugs or adapters. At least I couldn't find any on their site or in the print catalog.

But if you search Google using "right-angle 3.5 mm" you'll find many, many sites. I did not spot any in gold, but if you have the time to search, maybe you'll find something.

The Radio Shack mini right angle adapter isn't bad -- there's probably no sonic degradation you could hear that gold would address, esp. with something so often removed and reinserted. I bet they come out with a gold version soon -- this adapter is one apparently made by the same vendor as some of their other adapters, and they have a 1/4" gold one. However, the gold miniplugs and adapters from RadioShack are not too good -- they often have mismatched center sections, and they can catch on some jacks.

But go search! If you go to http://www.calrad.com/calrad/cat-59page2.html you'll see somethings to start -- including LOCKING 3.5 mm stereo plugs and jacks.

Apr 9, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by phidauex
The only right angle assembled mini-mini I've seen are the Straightwire interconnects at Headroom.

Forgive the obvious question
wink.gif
but why don't you just get that one?

Apr 10, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

Forgive the obvious question
wink.gif
but why don't you just get that one?

Well, his title said a "nice" cable, and for the money, the Straightwire is not. It's better than Rat Shack but didn't rock my world for the $20 + shipping I paid.

Apr 10, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 9
I'd be inclined to agree with the notions of the straightwire mini mini.

It's OK sounding, but my Markertek and definitely Kimbers kick the flurking shnit out of it.

The only reason I got it is for its functionality. It's the only cable that can fit reasonably well in a bag.

Apr 11, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #9 of 9
I couldn't find a decent right angle mini anywhere. I wound up using a Switchraft mini, as it was the smallest decent quality one I could find (the Canare is way too large for what I needed). OTOH, the small size of the Switchcraft makes it a pain to solder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back