Nice earbuds, NOT in-ear, gift for Dad's iPod -- HELP!
Dec 2, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
couple of options come to mind. Go to Head-Direct.com | YUIN and get the Yuin PK-3 or PK2, which are earbuds ala ipod sytle. Both sound just fine unamped. If his musical tastes lie more towards classic rock, then the PK3 will make him smile. If it lies more to classical then the PK2 will give him joy. The Koss KSC-75, a clip on with sound that belies it's small cost.

Don't forget to match what you buy to his musical preference.

This is the best option in buds.

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #18 of 34
there should be a sticky for people asking for non-IEM earbuds pointing them directly to Yuin, they honestly have NO competition to speak of in this segment
beyersmile.png

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #19 of 34
The PK2 sounds analytical, cold and too bright. They have unnatural trebles. Their bass is a snap and then its gone. The SQ is too dull, thin and boring. The highs are just unnatural. The PK3 on the other hand is twice as cheap, offers better bass quantity. Yet retains the same amount of details in the music. The body of the music just sounds much fuller.

I would pick the PK3 anyday over the PK2. But it really depends on your taste. You cant go wrong with the yuins though I'd recommend one of the crossroads mylarones. I have only heared the HR1 though. But its as right up there with my PK1s and the cable is much nicer too.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silwad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about OK3 vs PK3?

If you dont want In Ear Monitors then forgot the OK series as they are the same as the PK series but they have attachments for in ear use.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by costellogreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, I want to get the old man a nice pair of earbuds for xmas. Here are the criteria:

1. They have to be ipod style buds, not in-ear. He's grossed out by in-ear.

2. They need to be comfy, and a better fit for his ear for when he's on the treadmill (I know this is subjective, but some seem to be generally better than others)

3. They will be used exclusively with mp3 players. I don't know if something like Yuin's earbuds, which fit this bill, would be overqualified since the audio file itself isn't of high quality. I don't mind spending $159, but I would rather spend $50 if it there isn't that much that can be done to improve mp3 sound.

Any help would be appreciated. -Greg

Why spend money on crap he wont use.
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How bout if he gets the PK2 since it is an ear bud like his Dad indicated and is superior to the PK3 or OK3? I think the choice is obvious, dont you?

The OP pretty much made up his mind on the pk2 for his dad. Looks like case closed.
wink_face.gif

I was simply referring to Silwad who wanted to know the differences between the ok3 and pk3 so I pointed him to a review that tstarn06 wrote a while ago.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #28 of 34
I've never heard any of the YUIN's buds and wouldn't want to point you in the wrong direction, but the AKG K319 may also be a good choice as a present. I was really impressed with the package, it also include a beautiful case. He sure ought to be impressed. sound wise they're a bit cold, analytical, bass shy. however they have a super clear overall sound, crisp sound, nice vocals. pretty good, I take them over the more warm bud that came with the sony dap anyday - no contest.
they sure make a good present
just my 2c

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silwad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Scott, I guess I'll go up to the PK2 then.

The PK2 would suite you well if that's the route you decide to go, but also consider the fact that OK series has a full 1 year replacement warranty, something the PK3 nor PK2 have. I don't mean to scare you off the PK2 but the cable on mine broke recently and I can't get them replaced. I contacted Fang @ head-direct and he was willing to give me $30 off a new pair if I sent the old pair back to him, but unfortunately I can't find my broken PK2
frown.gif
. Lets face it, these are buds and they will get knocked around so having the full year replacement warranty is a nice option.

Just a little something to think about before you place your order.

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_d_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PK2 would suite you well if that's the route you decide to go, but also consider the fact that OK series has a full 1 year replacement warranty, something the PK3 nor PK2 have. I don't mean to scare you off the PK2 but the cable on mine broke recently and I can't get them replaced. I contacted Fang @ head-direct and he was willing to give me $30 off a new pair if I sent the old pair back to him, but unfortunately I can't find my broken PK2
frown.gif
. Lets face it, these are buds and they will get knocked around so having the full year replacement warranty is a nice option.

Just a little something to think about before you place your order.

No worries, if the PK2s impress me, I'll take care of them, if not I'm returning them for a refund. I just returned my Triple Fi 10s for a loss because I didn't like the fit or the sound signature. I figure I start cheap and work my way up until I find what I'm looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back