Nice earbuds, NOT in-ear, gift for Dad's iPod -- HELP!
Dec 1, 2008 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

costellogreg

New Head-Fier
Alright, I want to get the old man a nice pair of earbuds for xmas. Here are the criteria:

1. They have to be ipod style buds, not in-ear. He's grossed out by in-ear.

2. They need to be comfy, and a better fit for his ear for when he's on the treadmill (I know this is subjective, but some seem to be generally better than others)

3. They will be used exclusively with mp3 players. I don't know if something like Yuin's earbuds, which fit this bill, would be overqualified since the audio file itself isn't of high quality. I don't mind spending $159, but I would rather spend $50 if it there isn't that much that can be done to improve mp3 sound.

Any help would be appreciated. -Greg

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 34
couple of options come to mind. Go to Head-Direct.com | YUIN and get the Yuin PK-3 or PK2, which are earbuds ala ipod sytle. Both sound just fine unamped. If his musical tastes lie more towards classic rock, then the PK3 will make him smile. If it lies more to classical then the PK2 will give him joy. The Koss KSC-75, a clip on with sound that belies it's small cost.

Don't forget to match what you buy to his musical preference.

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 34
i've been hearing that the OK3 sounds as good as the PK2 for $20 less

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 34
yes

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by costellogreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Am I worrying too much about good earbuds being wasted on mp3s?

That's a good question, but I believe the answer is concentrate on a good quality earbud/headphone. If the source (music recording) is of bad quality that can always be re-ripped.

I'm thinking you want your father to be grateful for the gift of fine music. Get the earbuds you think will make him happiest and I think you will glad you did.

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #12 of 34
I'd say go for the PK2. The PK1 is great, but it's on the expensive side and would do better with an amp apparently.

The PK3 are nice, but not spectacular. So yeah, PK2 would probably be best for you. Or maybe an OK3, I'm not sure what those are like. They do seem to stick out towards the ear a bit more, I don't know if that would affect the comfort or not, and it might be confusing for him having all these pads and tips and how it's an earbud but also an IEM, sounds strange to me, but I trust Yuin makes good stuff. So the OK3 probably sounds good too.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #14 of 34
i thought those were the normal prices and the sale was the free fiio e3

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i thought those were the normal prices and the sale was the free fiio e3

Here is a list of the sale prices Head-Direct.com | YUIN

I noticed this sale ended nov 30, but the sale prices on the website still remain.
I got the sale price(ordered dec 1) but I'm not sure if the fiio will be coming with. I guess I'll find out sometime next week. TBH I didn't even notice the included fiio until you pointed that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back