NFL Title Games/Super Bowl Picks...
Jan 18, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

oh yeah-colts /eagles

uh..............maybe not
rolleyes.gif

Jan 19, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #18 of 30
Looks like you people under-estimated Carolina, just a little bit.
cool.gif

Jan 19, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #21 of 30
CArolina vs New England - should be a real knock down, drag out defensive fight. I hope it is better than last year's fiasco when Tampa just killed LA. Sheesh, that was hard to watch and not even a good game.

Jan 19, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #22 of 30
another weekend of swearing and 'cussing...

well, none of my teams made it: Pittsburgh, San Diego, Oakland, Seattle, Kansas City, or Miami. (I'll become a Cardinals fan next year - watch out for Boudoin).

Man, I was rooting for Manning - he's got to learn to run out of the pocket.

I'm glad the "Eggles" lost. Even though I lived near Philly I always supported Pittsburgh.

And when I supported the Pats, they always lost. Remember the original 3 stance logo? And then they wanted to change it, and we (I was a resident then) all said no. That 2nd logo was way better than the new one. I was always a Bledsoe supporter, even though I hated Tuna (Parcells).

Did anyone tape last week's triple overtime game?

Patriots versus Panthers. I hope that it's a great game! Because I don't know if I would take another game like last year. Oh! The Humanity!!!

Yeah, I'm a fan: no matter how bad the game may be, I always watch it until the very end.

Now if the Cardinals would only change their colours to Red & Blue with yellow numbers and letters. (Arizona flag colours).

Jan 19, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Man, I was rooting for Manning - he's got to learn to run out of the pocket.

well at least the oh fer in the playoffs tag is gone

tough to win in new england at night in the snow for anyone

Quote:

And when I supported the Pats, they always lost. Remember the original 3 stance logo? And then they wanted to change it, and we (I was a resident then) all said no. That 2nd logo was way better than the new one. I was always a Bledsoe supporter, even though I hated Tuna (Parcells).

used to be a BIG TIME pats fan

Steve Grogan

Sam "Bam" Cunningham

Stanley Morgan

oh yeah !

Quote:

Now if the Cardinals would only change their colours to Red & Blue with yellow numbers and letters.

I am old school

i still like the old style colors and feel the "new' look uniforms are more akin to the USFL than the NFL

Jan 19, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #24 of 30
Heh, both the winners I was expecting (maybe hoping), but both by larger margins than I expected. Yay, go Pats! (I'm a Michigan alum and my brother lives in Massachusetts--so a big Pats fan.)

I'm also happy to see Manning hork another big game. Looks like his awesome performance last week was as much a function of the woeful Chiefs defense as Manning actually being the second coming. And Eagles "fans" get what they deserve--always good to see the rudest crowd in America see heartbreak... again!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I pick the Pats in the Super Bowl. I saw them live the last time they were in Reliant stadium (that wild OT game against the Texans, wearing my Brady jersey), but I don't think I'll have that privilege again this time. Interesting that the Panthers also played at Houston this year, so both teams have seen this stadium already--it's very nice. Should be zany here that weekend...

Jan 19, 2004 at 9:44 AM Post #25 of 30
rickcr42,

You forgot Francis. I judge teams by the Tight Ends. That's one reason why I like the Kansas City Chiefs, Gonzalez.

"Grogan's Heroes."

Those were the days. Grogan's arm was so strong that when he threw straight ahead the ball would start to spiral up.

And I have yet to see on ESPN's best plays when a PAT hit an opponent and he flew back in the air 10 yards. The whole stadium when "woo" at the same time as I did at home.

Man, it's for times like these that I wish that I had a TIVO - so that I could cut out the commercials and burn it onto DVD.

Jan 19, 2004 at 11:25 AM Post #26 of 30
Those old Pats teams were awesome. You forgot a couple of folks:
  1. John Hannah (might be the best ever at OG)
  2. Steve Nelson (a maniac at MLB)
  3. Mike Haynes (Hall of Fame CB)
  4. Horace Ivory (Always liked that name)
Well, it looks as though my prediction was ALMOST sage-like. The Pats vs the Panthers (my pick for "might just pull off an upset"). I'm sticking with fellow U-M alumnus Tom Brady and the Pats, but I'm worrying a bit more than I was when I thought it would be Philly. Carolina has a tough defense, and Jake Delhomme doesn't seem to have the tendency to occasionally come uncorked like McNabb.

Jan 19, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #27 of 30
oh yeah , Francis-the first "all world" TE according to howard
biggrin.gif

as for the others

yes I am busted , but the three mentioned were the first that came to mind

Grogan was probably the best short yardage quarterback of my time , not too shabby in the open field either

Sam "BAM" over the the top , oh yeeeaaahh

Morgan i think had the highest per catch average in the history of the NFL , don't know if it still holds

So on to the Super Bowl , should be a knock down drag out-gotta love defensive footabll

get it outta the way so we can get to what is REALLY important

the Stanley Cup and Nextel cup
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 19, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #28 of 30
rickcr42,

as far as USFL uniforms went, I believe the LA Lightening (?) had the coolest uniform. I believe that they were golden yellow. Man, they were pretty.

As for the worse uniforms in today's league - it has to go to Seattle. What were they thinking? The Eagles' purpulish uniforms are slick. Most consistency probably goes to the Browns. yuk. Ugliest helmet has to be the Texans'.

Elrod,

How could I have forgotten Steve Nelson? Who was the nose tackle? It was a pleasure to hear his defensive plays.

For some reason today's Pats remind me of the Giants when Simms was at the helm. They just look so professional. I just hope that they don't lose their heads and start fighting on the field. Nah, Balichek won't stand for it.

GO AFC! (Even though I do like the Panters). I just wis that the Pats had the Spirit of Liberty helmet logos instead of that squarish tri-corner hat that isn't so tri-cornered.

Jan 19, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #29 of 30
The NT was Ray "Sugar Bear" Hamilton. He was a good one.

I'm thinking that the USFL team you're thinking of was the LA Express. If memory serves me correctly, their QB was former UCLA player and Washington Huskies head coach Rick Neuheisel. They merged with the former league champion Michigan Panthers (Bobby Hebert, Anthony Carter, etc...). The Pathers, btw, were owned by jailed Sotheby's chairman (antitrust violations for rigging bids) A. Alfred Taubman.

Every once in awhile I see the old USFL games on ESPN Classic. It's quite a hoot...some good players (Reggie White, Steve Young, Jim Kelly, Hershel Walker) came out of that league.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back