NFB-6, another new balanced amp from Audio-gd
Nov 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 27
Since the NFB6 thread was locked, I am posting in this one to say that I ordered one of these a few days ago (along with a NFB11.32), and I am very much looking forward to hearing this.  I will post my impressions after giving it the recommended 300-400 hours. At this point I will only be using it single-ended with basic cans, but I am looking to upgrade to higher end balanced cans in the near future.  Most of my impressions will be as a preamp initially, as I do have a system that I plan on using this in.  Definitely pushes all the buttons I need for that particular system - remote controlled preamp with balanced inputs/outputs and headphone capability at a budget price.

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 27
We have to figure out what to argue about so this thread can get locked too 
blink.gif

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 27
I am waiting for materials to re cable my Q701 cans for balanced operation. I will post my impressions once the work is done. Single ended works just fine at the moment though.

I have already re cabled a pair of $14 Phillips SHP2000 cans to balanced operation for practice. It was fun and they sound great for $14
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:
I have read that opening up the 701 headphones is some work so I would suggest reading up on it (if that wasn't obvious to you already).

Thanks, I have already opened mine up and put them together again. It is a piece of cake. Opening up the Phillips SHP2000 was on the other hand a hard and somewhat destructive process.
eek.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 27
The NFB-6 is in North America now.....all that is left is to redirect it north of the border and everything will be golden.  Looking forward to receiving it....an early Christmas gift from myself to.....myself.  
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #12 of 27
Well, it's arrived and is currently accumulating hours.  Initially, it seemed quite veiled and soft, but it seems to be opening up after a couple of hours.  For a balanced preamp with a metal remote at this price, even if it didn't get one iota better, it would be an excellent buy as a preamp.

More to come....  
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 27
Wow....this "break-in" is the craziest I have ever heard.  The sound is all over the map!  But I like the general sonic signature....it is definitely somewhat raw sounding right now.

EDIT: I have about 10 hours of music on the NFB6, and I have a couple of preliminary impressions to share. The first impression is that the NFB6 is extremely low in background noise - the notes at the lower limits of audibility (near the noise floor) are very easily perceived. Many times I have turned it down thinking that someone was trying to talk to me from outside the room, when in fact it was low-level information in the song that I never was able to hear or perceive clearly before. That makes each new disc fun to listen to....it is much like discovering the disc all over for the first time. The second impression is that everything sounds a little tonally oversaturated...sort of like when a TVs color, brightness, and contrast is turned up full. It adds a bit of an edge to certain notes....especially in the upper bass (boom) and lower treble (bite). Those notes tend to jump out a little from the rest of the presentation, and add an element of edginess that makes it difficult to listen to at higher volumes.

Keep in mind that I am using the NFB6 strictly as a preamp right now, and I have less than 10 hours on this so far. I can say that I don't feel I have heard the best from this - it has not yet settled down. However, I'm enjoying the ride so far!

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:
Wow....this "break-in" is the craziest I have ever heard.  The sound is all over the map!  But I like the general sonic signature....it is definitely somewhat raw sounding right now.

EDIT: I have about 10 hours of music on the NFB6, and I have a couple of preliminary impressions to share. The first impression is that the NFB6 is extremely low in background noise - the notes at the lower limits of audibility (near the noise floor) are very easily perceived. Many times I have turned it down thinking that someone was trying to talk to me from outside the room, when in fact it was low-level information in the song that I never was able to hear or perceive clearly before. That makes each new disc fun to listen to....it is much like discovering the disc all over for the first time. The second impression is that everything sounds a little tonally oversaturated...sort of like when a TVs color, brightness, and contrast is turned up full. It adds a bit of an edge to certain notes....especially in the upper bass (boom) and lower treble (bite). Those notes tend to jump out a little from the rest of the presentation, and add an element of edginess that makes it difficult to listen to at higher volumes.
Keep in mind that I am using the NFB6 strictly as a preamp right now, and I have less than 10 hours on this so far. I can say that I don't feel I have heard the best from this - it has not yet settled down. However, I'm enjoying the ride so far!

I have noticed exactly the same thing you have described regarding the low level information. It makes for an interesting experience when you suddenly hear things that were hidden.

I think the NFB-6 is very unforgiving of source material and software and the NFB-6 will not tone down things that are harsh to begin with. I find that a high quality source and high resolution files are however a real joy to listen to. The way the NFB-6 is priced you would think it was bested suited to mid or low priced source components but I think that is untrue. The NFB-6 works better with high quality sources.

This is an ongoing dilemma in the world of hi fi. Do you want to hear it as it is, the so called monitor sound or do you want something that makes the sound sweeter and more relaxing to listen to? The truth, or sweet lies? These days I find myself more in the monitor camp, especially since I enjoy hearing the details that most equipment will mask. If I listened for many hours every day with mediocre or poor quality source material I would probably be leaning more towards the sweet and relaxing camp. Sometimes sweet lies are nicer than the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back