Next ZuneHD update will include XviD, SmartDJ Playlists. Anyone think this is enough to change their mind about this PMP?
Jan 14, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The two major DAPs are Ipod and Zune, both have a music store.
It is obvious they will never implement open source formats because they wish for people to buy from their store.

If that were true, Zunes would only play WMP and iPods would only play ALAC.

They both play MP3 and AAC which are ISO standards, but not open source. AAC requires a license fee for the encoder, but not for distribution and playback.

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #18 of 29
Native, deliberate Rockbox support, taking care of FLAC support and custom EQ in a single stroke.

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Native, deliberate Rockbox support, taking care of FLAC support and custom EQ in a single stroke.

Rockbox doesn't work on a Zune

Quote:

The Zune is being manufactured by Toshiba and is assumed to be based at least in part on hardware used in the Gigabeat S Series. A port is currently not in development, but the feasibility of one is being discussed in the forum. If a port were to occur, development would likely occur concurrently or after development on the Gigabeat S Series.

TargetStatus < Main < Wiki

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Xvid will only be good if they don't limit it somehow (which they probably will). I still have to convert mp4s and wmvs because the HD can't handle their native specs.

I hope they add a custom EQ down the line, probably not the next update since they would've mentioned so important. Also, seriously need to add enterprise wi-fi support, the college students have been throwing fits for months.

You can get new 16GB blacks directly from Amazon for $180-190. I'll be honest, it really isn't worth much more than that once you take all the features into account. The video playback is good, but the small screen size still bothers me.

yea i too am mainly interested in the eq settinggs,, ive got a 64 gb touch and the preset eq is for children! , so lame i feel so claustrophobic and limited with apple lammo eq.

the main reason im getting an s9 is because of the real eq options.
if the zune had a reral eq settings it would make it harder choice.
but the fact thezune dosent have volume knob or fwd/bckwrd buttons bothers me, i can imagine trying to turn down the colume on the zune and damaging my ears.

can zune play h264?

thanks

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

can u get rockbox on your pc or on your s9 or on your itouch?

thanks

Jan 21, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #23 of 29
Well i am a zune fanboy to the blood so i am pretty excited about the updates that the zune is getting. And i hope that MS continues to support the zune hd for quite some time!

Jan 21, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #24 of 29
its still crippled, give it an open development scene to boost application development for the zune, put a standart usb plug aswell as the proprietary connector and give it a UMS option, and i will consider it, for now, its a DRM joke, pushing MTP for everyone else and using a even more proprietary ZuneMTP for their player so they can lock it from 3rd party music vendors,
Extra formats dont matter aslong as you still have to pass them throught the ZMTP software,

only apple has the fanboy base/Cult status to be able to pull a crap proprietary locked in player and have it sell like hotcakes,, you cant defeat them by emulating them,

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #25 of 29
I can understand why Apple/Microsoft put proprietary connections, and have the firmware/music on lockdown, but I can't understand why UMS is excluded. I can't think of a way in which profitability is affected by not allowing at least the option of UMS {I think hard drive iPods had this feature at one point, no?}

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #26 of 29
the lack of UMS and the inclusing of a software lock-in is so you only have two "legal" choices to put music on it,
ripped CD´s or the store the device is locked to, which in this case would be itunes or zune marketplace,

loading DRM infected music from other stores would probobly require DMCA violating actions (for those of you living in the US),

im the other way around, why would you not include along side your proprietary connector a basic small USB to ease charging and syncing without the official cable, i understand theres a vast accesory market, but you can get a generic ipod cable for 3 bucks off ebay, theres no reason to force it upon us, and the mini usb is usualy usless for accesories like remotes, docks or speakers, its not going to steal your precios accesory revenue,

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #27 of 29
I'm not sure what UMS is, but you can put any legally obtained music on an iPod if it's a format the iPod supports. I've never bought any digital music, but I have downloaded a bit of free stuff from Amazon, record labels and band web sites. The Amazon stuff is mp3, the others have all been FLAC that I convert to ALAC and AAC. The iPod isn't locked into the iTunes store.

Nor is the iTunes store locked to playback on the iPod. You can play the AACs back on a Zune. They're not DRMed anymore.

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #28 of 29
I believe UMS is the thing where you can have the iPod/Zune act as an external thumb drive or any equivalent. It would be really useful, IMO, to be able to use a portable PMP as a big flash drive.

With the iPod Touch, you can SSH {after jailbreak}, but it's not pretty.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #29 of 29
UMS=USB Mass Storage Class (also known as MSC) as compared to MTP (Media Transfer Protocol). And yes, it does in fact the ability to have it act as an external drive ("mass storage device")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back