Next upgrade from Sennheiser HD650
Mar 25, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 22
Really depends on what you're looking for in a set of cans. Something really different than the 650s? Or along the same lines sound wise? Personally, I'd suggest the 1990 pros from Beyerdynamic. Or, if you prefer more bass, maybe the Fostex TH-610, or one of the Massdrop Fostex offerings. The 610s aren't really bass heavy, but are more subdued treble wise compared to the 1990s. Want to go in a totally different direction, maybe a pair of Grados would suit you. Like I said, it really depends on you and what you're ultimate target is.

Mar 25, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 22
Up to $600, you’re mostly looking at side-grades. As stated above, you can optimize for bass/treble etc but there’s not a clear upgrade with the same/similar signature until you reach $1500 or so with the focal clear and zmf auteur.

However, many people have felt the Audeze LCD-2C Was an upgrade to the 650.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #4 of 22
hmm not really much worth the money considering the price/performance of the HD650 ... If I were you I'd go for a used HE560, HD800 or LCD3, however likely slightly over budget.

As mentioned before, anything below 600$ new would mostly be a sidegrade ...

Good luck on your headphone journey :)

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #8 of 22
HiFiMan Sundara or save up for the LCD-2C.

Had a very good 20 mins session on the Sundara at Camjam Singapore using my own source and playlist.

Compared to the HD650 / 6XX, its strength was where the weakness of the HD650/6XX was. Namely in the energy and crispness of detail and instrument separation. Staging wise, I would say highly dependent on recording, nothing dramatically better or worse.
But its weakness was also where the HD650/6XX shines and excels, namely in the vocals. It was nowhere near the buttery smoothness or musical naturalness of the HD650/6XX, and a little recessed it seems (to my ears).

It was in my opinion, excellent for instrumental and classical music. It fell short when it came to intimate vocals. That's my opinion of course, as everyone's may differ.

But if one prefers the same smooth laidback smoothness of the HD650/6XX with more detail, then it would probably have to be the Focal Clear. Was fortunate that the staff at the counter was nice enough to let me use my own source and playlist and had a good 15~20 minute session listening to it too. I came away suitably impressed as it was very like the HD650 / 6XX, a pair of cans that you could kick back and listen and enjoy for hours with a smile on your face.

Mar 26, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #9 of 22
Really depends on what you're looking for in a set of cans. Something really different than the 650s? Or along the same lines sound wise? Personally, I'd suggest the 1990 pros from Beyerdynamic. Or, if you prefer more bass, maybe the Fostex TH-610, or one of the Massdrop Fostex offerings. The 610s aren't really bass heavy, but are more subdued treble wise compared to the 1990s. Want to go in a totally different direction, maybe a pair of Grados would suit you. Like I said, it really depends on you and what you're ultimate target is.

I was considering Grado's RS series... I'll try to audition them and then decide.
I need something more portable without need of amplifier like I use at home.
My source is AK jr.

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 22
Honestly I would just upgrade your amplifier. The HD650 scales so well that if its the sound you like you will struggle to find something as good. A headphone that compliments the HD650, however, might just be the ticket. Have you tried modifying the hd650?

Mar 27, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #11 of 22
Honestly I would just upgrade your amplifier. The HD650 scales so well that if its the sound you like you will struggle to find something as good. A headphone that compliments the HD650, however, might just be the ticket. Have you tried modifying the hd650?
I have Schiit vali 2 amp with electro harmonics tube. And I'm happy with it. But I need something with less impedance
so I can plug it directly to DAP more suitable for mobile use. No I have not tried modding the HD650. I believe Sennheiser engineers know what they are doing. You know what I'm sayin'?

Mar 27, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #12 of 22
I have Schiit vali 2 amp with electro harmonics tube. And I'm happy with it. But I need something with less impedance
so I can plug it directly to DAP more suitable for mobile use.

For mobile use sealed cups can be more useful than just getting low impedance. Try something like the Focal Spirit Pro.

No I have not tried modding the HD650. I believe Sennheiser engineers know what they are doing. You know what I'm sayin'?

Well they didn't know that most people would wear them with the drivers right over the ear canals much less how much angled pads can work to not have the cymbals too far out and forward. Not to mention that the non-engineers decided to sell flat earpads for $60 when Brainwavz can sell angled pads for $25. More comfortable too since they're thicker.

HD580 used to rattle on strong bass notes and while that doesn't happen on the HD580J/600/650, mass loading the plastic frame around the driver helps, the problem with why I didn't do that one permanently was because I tried Blutac as a temporary and cheap solution to test (yes, bass improved) still left a little bit of gunk I had to clean. Car audio dampening panels are actually what needs to be used but I'm not cutting up a huge sheet for just a few square inches on the headphone (that will leave out a bit excess trimmed off), but if I get a new car and have to line my trunk I'd cut it in such a way as to have a little left over.

What I wouldn't mess with is anything that's in there for safety reasons, which is most of what people have been doing on the HD6xx series, like taking the foam covering the front and rear of the driver diaphragms (which also dampens the high frequencies).

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #15 of 22
Keep the HD650s. They are sheer gold, perhaps the most musical and smooth cans out there
I disagree. I did not find the hd650 did not compare to planars. Once I auditioned the Oppo Pm-1 for a week I decided it was time for the hd650 to go and it was time for planars. I enjoy my Lcd2c more than I ever did my hd650.
To the op you might look for a used pair of LCD2c or a used pair of Aeon Flow open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back