Next step with the ATM-50's!?
Feb 15, 2011 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BassinURface

Head-Fier
So its been about 6 months Ive had my ATM-50's and I can say I LOVE THEM! They finally burned in and they sound amazing, but unfortunately I guess im looking for an "upgrade method" and i dont know what it is yet and I need your guys help . 
confused_face_2.gif

Most of the time  I listen to my headphones with my laptop or ipod [ But the ipod doesnt power them as good as my laptop]

I guess in a way I'm really looking for a way for these things to shine. [or even find an excuse  to  buy another pair] 
bigsmile_face.gif

No but seriously, I dont know If I want to buy a new portable to make these things kick or even a DAC/AMP for my laptop ,,, but im not too educated on DACs or even AMPS.

I actually might want to buy some higher end headphones too in the long run to drive . [maybe some ultrasones  ? I Freakin love loud tight punchy bass.. Refer to username :XXXX] 

Bottom line is my m50's are kicking right now . and I want a little more UMPH.. I really think getting a nice source might be a good option because I believe im going to crack soon and get some headphones that need power anyway. 

You guys think I might be crazy but Im looking for tighter bass than the M50s.  and i believe the M50's are doing a very "above average" job with the bass. 

Any recommendations are welcome. And I do mean ANY.

Music Genres , Electro , House  , Dubstep , Progressive , minimal. 

Budget : 300ish? :]

beerchug.gif

Head-fi for the win!

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 3
I'd like to know as well.  My setup is: Foobar (WASAPI)>SUPER DAC707>Pioneer SA510 headphone jack>ATH M50s.I just pulled the trigger on Little Dot MKIII so it'll be here soon.

I thought it couldn't get any better when I first got introduced with the Grado sr60. Then I got the m50s and thinking again it can't get better than this.

So I read a bunch of reviews on some high end headphones/amps but still can't imagine that there's a whole a lot more beyond the m50 realm.

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #3 of 3
I enjoy my ATH-M50's with my Total Bithead.  The amp / DAC will extend the bass about 10% more and give you quicker highs.  The great thing about the DAC is it virtually eliminates the noise from your CPU electronics giving you more clarity and overall sound quality.  You can also use the Bithead for a pre amp on your stereo system which really gives similar improvements.

I do not think, for the price, you are going to beat the Total Bithead.  Every time I test it against my high end gear I am always impressed.  It can even drive my pair of HD-650's just fine, although not perfectly.

Fun tracks to test them on are:
Weird Al's "Pancreas" from Straight Outta Lynnwood.  Through my Bithead this track will rumble your head with ATH-M50's.
Prodigy's "Diesel Power" from Fat of the Lan is another great bass test track for those cans

If you are looking for new cans I point you toward two types:
The Grado SR80i or the Denon AH-D2000
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/grado-sr-80i.php 
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/denon-ah-d2000.php

Both of these cans you should look into for they are excellent phones with very nice bass impact.  The SR80i are always fun and a little more reasonable for price ( $100 range ) while the Denon AH-D2000 is in another league by itself, but still worth considering within your parameters.  Keep in mind that a fully burned in nicely amped pair of ATH-M50's is going to very difficult to beat for overall sound quality.  They still remain my favorite pair of cans well up into the $400 range.

Enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back