next step up from the AD700 ???
May 30, 2009 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

JeffB1961

Previously known as BOOTYMONSTER
the AD700's seem to be THE headphone for about $100 . if i could spend say $125 or $150 absolute max is there anything else recomended over it ? i just want to be sure im considering the best headphones i can afford or rationalize the money for . i dont claim to be an audiophile . but i have learned that getting the opinions of folks that know more about something than i do and using their recomendations helps me make a better decisions . i love the WWW
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #3 of 20
In my opinion, unless you are going to spend more than $200 USD, you aren't going to get anything better than the AD700's. You will get comparable, and if you like a certain brand (that is Sennheiser, Grado, Denon, et. al.), they may be better for you. By jumping your budget up by $50 maximum, you are not going to get anything better.

May 30, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #5 of 20
Two cans you can get used that will out perform the AD700's:

HD580's
AKG k501's

Both require expensive amps, however.

I also like my D1001's better than my AD700's. Both are about the same price.

May 30, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #6 of 20
Yeah, about the only one I'd recommend would be a used pair of HD580s since they're more or less an underpriced version of the HD600s with minor aesthetic and consequentual sound quality differences from what I hear. I wouldn't say an amplifier is essential, it (HD600s) were a considerable step up from the AD700s in everything for me except soundstage even without an amp.

May 30, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 20
im thinking about $100 or so for something pretty good , maybe ,,,,, just maybe a upper limit to $150 IF.. i found a really good deal/sale on something kinda special . anyhow , im thinking the grado 80i or 125i is going to be the cleanest thing around but as much as i do want clarity it has to be comfortable . something that i could wear for 3 or 4 hours watching movies or listening to some music , seventies and eightys stuff .. van halen , molly hatchet , atlanta rythem section , kansas , rush , chicago , styx , supertramp , stealy dan . lol i thing you get the idea . . i do have a nice 5.1 home theater setup (pioneer and polk) with a 5o inch plasma . nothing great to some , but it makes me happy , hehe .

May 30, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 20
Get the SR125i, or better the MS-1 for a hundred. It's more of a "sideways" move, but if you like the sound profile better it really is like an upgrade.

May 30, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 20
itll be next weekend befor i buy something . i was considering the grado 80i/125i but i want something really comfortable that i can wear for a few to several hours . im pretty sure i want to get something new and im leaning twoards the AD700's but havnt eliminated the HD555's yet . if it was absolute sound without considering comfort the grados seem to be the way to go . but im a wuss and comfort is a priority . if theyre not comfortable im not gonna wear them and i dont like wasting money on things i dont use . ill listen to at least those two this week and take a few CD's with me so i have something familiar and that i enjoy to demo with . seems AKG has some realy nice stuff but over my budget for something open and comfortable . Beyer has a few things that have caught my eye but once again has the same issues for MY budget and requirements as the AKG's .

May 30, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the record, though, it's a matter of taste. I prefer AD700s to D1001s.
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah, its hard to imagine two more different headphones that cost within $20 of one another.

May 30, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #15 of 20
Grados with comfy pads are more comfortable than AD700/900s.
wink.gif
The ATH phones smother like half your face and you feel those wing things bearing down on your head. There's also metal driver covers inside that can press on your ear. With grados, you don't even really notice you're wearing them, and your ears just get a little warm after an hour or so, which they also do with the AD700s (along with half your face
redface.gif
).

Myth of grado "discomfort" has got to go! Mostly that's about bowls and flat pads anyway, not the comfy pads.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back