Next step up from EF1...raptor or WA6?
Sep 21, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks headphone addict, be sure that when i get it I will upgrade the PSU and the rectifier tube for sure. but what is exctly the "maxed" WA6? i thought it is meant for the WA6 with the upgraded PSU and tube...?

and another thing...is the PSU in the WA6 internal?

Maxed are with the premium parts upgrade and the PS transformer is housed within the same chassis.

Sep 21, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #17 of 25
Both are fine amps..and importantly both are good companies. I've owned both and sold the Raptor... still have the Woo products....there you go

Pseudo supply, max your parts then add a Princess...next to the best anywhere near the price.

One Amp you might consider that I feel out performs both is the DNA Sonett..ain't kidding, one of the best and silly extraordinary at the price. Runs anything from IEM's to the HD800 without so much as breaking a bead of sweat. The best balance and extension of the amps mentioned and is a steal!

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both are fine amps..and importantly both are good companies. I've owned both and sold the Raptor... still have the Woo products....there you go

Pseudo supply, max your parts then add a Princess...next to the best anywhere near the price.

One Amp you might consider that I feel out performs both is the DNA Sonett..ain't kidding, one of the best and silly extraordinary at the price. Runs anything from IEM's to the HD800 without so much as breaking a bead of sweat. The best balance and extension of the amps mentioned and is a steal!

thanks,I will check it out. just a question...in woo's site, I did see the option of upgrading the PSU and the tube but I didn't see how can I upgrade the amp to the "max" version. should I email them? and can one of you tell how much is it cost to max the wa6?

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

thanks,I will check it out. just a question...in woo's site, I did see the option of upgrading the PSU and the tube but I didn't see how can I upgrade the amp to the "max" version. should I email them? and can one of you tell how much is it cost to max the wa6?

Woo removed the cap upgrade for the standard 6 from the website. They still offer it for the SE model though. I imagine Jack's running low on these parts so he's only offering it on the higher end models.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Contact Jack and he emails an itemized list of whats available and how much.

Makes the decision process easier and then you can chatter back and forth about advantages of each.

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Thanks man..this is an important factor for me.

I am always curious about the different between WooA and RSA
In the past, I have used the raptor for a long time, and try tons of excellent 12au7 and 5687....
Now I switch to WA2 maxed.......I can feel its sound is so charming and smooth, but I think I lose some details and power from the Raptor.
This is very important for HD650.....
ph34r.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by herroyuihk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the past, I have used the raptor for a long time, and try tons of excellent 12au7 and 5687....
Now I switch to WA2 maxed.......I can feel its sound is so charming and smooth, but I think I lose some details and power from the Raptor.
ph34r.gif

yes. the EF1 introduced me nicely to the great tube sound, but part of the reason for me to upgrade it is because I want something more powerful and maybe more extreme tube sound. the EF1 is still a hybrid, and until I try a real full tube amp I feel that I am missing something. the HD650 surely need a lot of power and the EF1 gets a little weak in there IMO.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #23 of 25
as i understand the rectifier tube is the one that defines the sound mostly? (the gain tube)
I spent a lot of time trying different tubes for the EF1 that I don't know if I have the power or the money to start and search for tubes again.

how is the princess tube? is it warm and lush? and how it combines with the other two power stock tubes?

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

as i understand the rectifier tube is the one that defines the sound mostly? (the gain tube)
I spent a lot of time trying different tubes for the EF1 that I don't know if I have the power or the money to start and search for tubes again.

how is the princess tube? is it warm and lush? and how it combines with the other two power stock tubes?

A rectifier converts incoming Alternating Current (AC) to Direct Current (DC) needed for the amplifying circuit. Yes a rectifier can affect the sound quality, so can the driver/output tubes.

I haven't heard the Princess so I can't comment on it..

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If this is primarily for the HD650, why not simply get one of the OTL Woos? Would you rather have a decent amp for all of your phones or a better amp for your favorite phone? The Woo 2 should be pretty nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see how a Woo 2 wouldn't... Why ask about the Raptor if you're not cool with OTL?

Quote:

Originally Posted by herroyuihk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ph34r.gif

Hello plonter

I have the HD650, RS1i and Denon AH-D5000 along with a WA2 (premium parts upgrade). All three phones sound delicious with the WA2. Smooth, silky and full of life. Throw in 4 inputs and a pre-amp out and it's a total package. It drives all my phones beautifully. I was in the same dilemma before, between the WA2 and WA6. Several emails to Jack and I decided on the WA2 and never wondered what if?

From everything I have read on the WA6, either one will suit you great, however, I've never heard the WA6 so can't comment personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back