Next step up from EF1...raptor or WA6?
Sep 20, 2009 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all. I was thinking about ray's raptor or the WA6. the raptor price range is probably my limit for cash.
would any of them will be a big improvement over the EF1? will I get more warm tubie sound? the advantage of the raptor over the WA6 for me is that it uses a 12AU7 tube which I have a nice stock of few tubes to go.

the amp will be used most with the HD650 but I would be happy to use it also with my lower impedance cans like the RS1 and AHD5000.

thanks!

Sep 20, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #3 of 25
thanks..just a brief question about the WA6, how are the stock tubes that comes with it? If i got it right, the rectifier tube is the big one which is the gain tube and the other little two are the power tubes which responsible mainly for amplifing the signal?

what is exactly the WA6SE? what is different from the regular WA6?
the wa6 price is very attractive.

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 25
I'm about to make the sale on my EF-1, and am planning to buy the Elekit TU-882 based on Skylab and Mrarroyo's glowing reviews. Cheap tube upgrades, it costs about $60-70 for "top of the line" 2C51/5670/WE396A tubes, and significantly less for adequate NOS tubes. I was either looking at that, or a used WA6 for a good price if I could find one with PDPS, so it looks like I'm going to be purchasing the Elekit as planned. Skylab also pegs it several spots higher than the EF-1 on his list.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...embled-434829/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ne-amp-430997/

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 25
the WA6 looks SSSEXY!, and I can easely afford myself to get it with the upgrades. the EF1 is a beast in its price and I want to make sure that the upgraded WA6 will be MUCH better.
one of the main reasons for this upgrade is to have more of that delicious, warm and creamy tube sound.
is the WA6 warmer, tubier sounding comparing to the EF1? does the upgraded rectifier tube contributes to that sound also?

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the WA6 looks SSSEXY!, and I can easely afford myself to get it with the upgrades. the EF1 is a beast in its price and I want to make sure that the upgraded WA6 will be MUCH better.
one of the main reasons for this upgrade is to have more of that delicious, warm and creamy tube sound.
is the WA6 warmer, tubier sounding comparing to the EF1? does the upgraded rectifier tube contributes to that sound also?

Sounds like you've already made up your mind to get the WA6.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you've already made up your mind to get the WA6.

kind of maybe... the raptor is very heavy priced. didn't find any other appealing option except the WA6 for price and performance, but I would like to get some other recommendations if you guys have.

anyway...I want to hear some peoples opinions in the WA6 against the EF1 regarding sound signature differences and performance.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #8 of 25
If this is primarily for the HD650, why not simply get one of the OTL Woos? Would you rather have a decent amp for all of your phones or a better amp for your favorite phone? The Woo 2 should be pretty nice.

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If this is primarily for the HD650, why not simply get one of the OTL Woos? Would you rather have a decent amp for all of your phones or a better amp for your favorite phone? The Woo 2 should be pretty nice.

I would rather have an amp that can operate well with all my cans.

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

I previously owned Raptor, WA6 Maxxed and now WA6SE Maxxed and WA is much warmer than Raptor. RSA is more towards SS direction though.

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

I would rather have an amp that can operate well with all my cans.

I don't see how a Woo 2 wouldn't... Why ask about the Raptor if you're not cool with OTL?

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I previously owned Raptor, WA6 Maxxed and now WA6SE Maxxed and WA is much warmer than Raptor. RSA is more towards SS direction though.

Thanks man..this is an important factor for me.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see how a Woo 2 wouldn't... Why ask about the Raptor if you're not cool with OTL?

I didn't say the woo2 wouldnt. I am checking my options

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #14 of 25
The WA6 will be a nice upgrade from the EF1 - be sure to add the pseudo dual power supply upgrade if you order it (like $60 on top of the $585). That is supposedly a bigger bump in sound than maxing the amp (mine was maxed and then I added the PDPS later so I can't comment).

You can upgrade the tubes later, but the stock ones don't suck. Mine came stock with Sylvania 6DE7 and a Sovtek 6U4G rectifier and upgrading to RCA 6DE7 was a small improvement, while upgrading the rectifier to a Sophia Princess 274b was a big improvement in bass and treble extension, control and refinement, as well a big bump in expanding the soundstage.

Adding link: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/woo...ct-amp-445855/

Sep 21, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The WA6 will be a nice upgrade from the EF1 - be sure to add the pseudo dual power supply upgrade if you order it (like $60 on top of the $585). That is supposedly a bigger bump in sound than maxing the amp (mine was maxed and then I added the PDPS later so I can't comment).

You can upgrade the tubes later, but the stock ones don't suck. Mine came stock with Sylvania 6DE7 and a Sovtek 6U4G rectifier and upgrading to RCA 6DE7 was a small improvement, while upgrading the rectifier to a Sophia Princess 274b was a big improvement in bass and treble extension, control and refinement, as well a big bump in expanding the soundstage.

Adding link: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/woo...ct-amp-445855/

Thanks headphone addict, be sure that when i get it I will upgrade the PSU and the rectifier tube for sure. but what is exctly the "maxed" WA6? i thought it is meant for the WA6 with the upgraded PSU and tube...?

and another thing...is the PSU in the WA6 internal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back