Next step up from ATH-M50s?
Dec 1, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I trust my ears more than I trust some rubber head.
biggrin.gif

HEY, that's not very nice, calling me a rubber head!
tongue.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by applaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HEY, that's not very nice, calling me a rubber head!
tongue.gif

Wait... you mean... you are actually... this guy?!...
wink.gif

0020330840_4053.jpg

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #22 of 31
*ahem* back on topic...
wink.gif

So far we have:

Denon AH-D2000
GMP 8.35 (this one is new to me!)
Shure SRH-840
Ultrasone Pro 650

I noticed all of these are closed. Any open headphones I should also consider?
normal_smile .gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #23 of 31
Not sure, but I do recomend the Shure SRH750 DJ's, as closed cans. I've been hearing they're better than the M50's in everything but bass, but the bass tightens up and settles in with burn-in.

Dec 4, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #24 of 31
M50 are extremely balanced Cans ... ok they are not as transparent or open sounding etc. but whatever they do - they do a balanced job - not a small feat in headphone world.

The D2000 are burning in right now ... they do sound good and yes they do sound colored and the mid-range is a bit recessed ... we'll see how they sound in a couple of days ...

Cheers

Dec 4, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #25 of 31
The D2000's are different when amped. The sound was great.

Dec 6, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #27 of 31
Another one to consider...Beyer dt250. Very flat/neutral to my ears...AND to the dummy's head!
biggrin.gif
though they have a lot better bass and treble than the graph would leave you to believe.

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #28 of 31
I must say, I'm a bit iffy when it comes to Beyerdynamic; I've tried the DT 770 Pro before and it was truly one of the most awful sounding pair of headphones I've ever heard. Very comfortable, though, I will give them that.

Oh! I realised I never mentioned what I actually use; my audio setup is this: MacBook Pro > Echo AudioFire 4 > Headphones. I don't make music traditionally, I work with a lot of experimental audio software like AudioMulch and enjoy making sounds more than I really do making full tunes.

Also if it helps, here is my Last.fm.

Keep those suggestions coming, if there are any left.
smily_headphones1.gif
They've all been very helpful so far.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the graphs don't show diddly squat. The Shures sound more neutral than the denons, and that matters more than numbers.

ImaPoser.gif

The 840 are a warm sounding headphone, the D2000 a somewhat fast and tight sounding can. That's what I hear.

You can see that the Shure is warmer here:

graphCompare.php

You can see that the Denon has a slightly better High frequency squarewave response in that the initial ring doesn't swing as far, though the 840 settles quicker. (Though that may have something to do with rolled off FR in the last octave.

graphCompare.php

And lastly, you can see in the low frequency square wave that the D2000 does very well at keeping the low frequency components linear, and that the 840 is a little loose.

graphCompare.php

Measurements don't tell you nearly everything, but the do tell you the basics VERY well. The D2000 is a more neutral headphone.

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #30 of 31
The Denons are more neutral to me than the shures too but I do hear that recession on the graph which is why I prefer the d5000... except for the bass... none of them do it quite right. I got some jarrah wood d2ks before too and still no cigar. too bloated for my tastes. I think I'm gravitating towards some german maestro cans like the gmp 8.300D for my next closed cans. I wish this blind purchase will be a satisfying one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back