Next step up from ATH-M50s?
Nov 30, 2009 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

rachcouture

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

My Audio Technica ATH-M50s have been my main headphones for some time and while I don't plan on actually replacing them, I'd like to have another pair of headphones around incase these break one day in the future. Might as well get an upgrade while I'm at it, too!

I don't have a huge requirements list, but:

I use my headphones both for making tunes and listening to a wide variety of music, so I need a pair that are neutral, accurate and reveal details easily with a price tag of no more than $300 USD. High durability and long-term comfort is also a must since I'm exclusively a headphone user.

Really like the way my current headphones sound at the moment, if that also helps.

And of course thanks in advance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 31
I'll be lurking around here for a bit, lol. I'm interested in this too, because my M50's recently broke and I want to replace them with different, comparable-or-better phones.

So in the spirit of keeping this thread alive, Bump.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If neutral 'phone is needed srh 840 for 150 $ is winner !
Denon d2000 is great 'phone but they are not neutral sounding.

Technical measurements show the D2000 to be very neutral, with only a slightly warm reponse, and all frequencies well represented:
graphCompare.php

The Shure SRH-840, on the other hand, is far from technically neutral:
graphCompare.php

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the graphs don't show diddly squat. The Shures sound more neutral than the denons, and that matters more than numbers.

No, I don't think it does. Not when you want to use it for amateur mixing/composing/studio work.

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #12 of 31
I'm having a M50 v. D2000 v. SRH840 dilemma myself.

I've heard that the M50 is on the same level as the SRH840, but just a different sound signature. And I have heard that the SRH840 beats the D2000. Now I'm hearing that the SRH840 and the D2000 are upgrades from the M50. AHH. :p

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #13 of 31
Lol, My M50's recently died, so I need a pair of phones comparable or Better then the M50's. I listen to Techno, Electro Pop, R&B, Rock, and some Classical.

I've been looking at the HD485's and the AKG K 242HD's... Can anyone message me about these phones or provide other suggestions?

Sorry if I highjacked the thread.

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #14 of 31
I sure hope people aren't mixing up 'neutral' and 'bland', because that's the feeling I get when I read a lot of posts here.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by applaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I don't think it does. Not when you want to use it for amateur mixing/composing/studio work.

I trust my ears more than I trust some rubber head.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back