next step in DIY amps?
Apr 28, 2006 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

nysulli

500+ Head-Fier
so, after finishing my pint, i've got the bug, i love how it sounds, and i also loved how smoothly it all went together, guessing 2.5 hours total build time with casing, worked like a champ, no oscillations, very low offsets, question is whats next

i love the detailed nature of the pint, but i'm thinking about going with the next step, question is, where to go, millet hybrid, the warm tube sound would certainly give me something with a different sound then the pint to experience, m3 or dynalo, i really don't think i'd have trouble building any of the 3, or another amp that i'm leaving out, anyone have some suggestions?

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 25
PPA. maybe a PIMETA with stacked buffers and highend opamps.

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 25
the millett might go well with your grados, and the M^3 is a really nice amp, probably one of the best Solid-State DIY amps out there.

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 25
I've built the Millett Hybrid and Dynalo; you shouldn't have trouble with either. Both are nice, rewarding projects.

However, have you thought about building a balanced amp? The Dynamid is looking really interesting to me right now. I might have to build one.

Also, I started acquiring the parts to build the Millett ECC99 SRPP amp for the K-1000. Perhaps you'd be interested in a tube amp with point-to-point wiring? It's more challenging than a PCB, for sure, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Apr 28, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 25
i'd love to look into something like a balanced amp, however i'd also not like to mod the wiring on my hf-1's, and then theres that whole still being a grad student thing with money...

a ppa might be interesting, but i don't know that i want somethng with that much detail, i've got a few diamond buffer boards sitting around i could use with a millett, the only real issue is time and money, i don't have tons of cash to drop on building an amp, so something like a balanced gilmore amp with psu would be outside of my budget, i'd set the limit around 250 max, which probably leaves, and correct me if i'm wrong

millet with diamond buffers, tread or possibly stand alone steps, 2 or 3 sets of tubes

m3 with a tread, maybe strech the budget a bit to make a steps

dynalo, possibly with a dual tread psu, maybe the full gilmore psu, but again, probably requires streching the budget a bit

Apr 28, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #6 of 25
balanced millett
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 25
i've narrowed it down to the milliett or the m3, i think i'd enjoy the m3 more, but i've got this nagging urge to give tubes a shot

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 25
Curveball: Try the MAD Ear+ Purist kit.

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Curveball: Try the MAD Ear+ Purist kit.

x2

I've looked at these kits so many times it's no longer funny. If I weren't working on a different full voltage tube amp I'd still be going this route. From what I understand the documentation on these amps is very complete and noob friendly, a big plus in my book. Also, I've heard the HD version of the Ear and it is a very, very nice sounding amplifier.

Nate

Apr 30, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #11 of 25
I've looked at their stuff in the past, and its tempting, i'd just need to get some more money together, enter mapletree to my now even more congested thoughts of DIY fun, thank god i have this pint to enjoy in the meantime

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #12 of 25
I say go for the M^3.

You may also want to try out my hybrid config (well it's not mine, per se, but I seem to be the first or only one here to try it thus far).

You'll need a new PINT board to do it. Install resistors in C1, as per usual, but don't cut any traces. Instead, just install ferrites in L1, have R4 in the R4 slot, and install C3. I haven't tried it without C3, but it probably works fine without it.

The change in sound is you'll lose some of the presence and edge, but gain noticeable amounts of soundstage and depth with some added refinement and smoothness. If I could only have one of the PINTs out of my mini^3ified one and the hybrid, I'd probably take the hybrid. I like both of them pretty much equally, and enjoy both of them a lot, but the hybrid is a more hi-fi sounding amp to me and is a bit more versatile.

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nysulli
I've looked at their stuff in the past, and its tempting, i'd just need to get some more money together, enter mapletree to my now even more congested thoughts of DIY fun, thank god i have this pint to enjoy in the meantime

Well if you were planning on spending ~$300 for the Millett or M^3, you could just save another $100 for the MAD Ear+
evil_smiley.gif
otherwise you'd have to start all over again and save up another $400-500 for the Ear+, right?
wink.gif

May 1, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nysulli
and this is how we all go over budget, oh so tempting, just gotta see how money is in teh next 2 or 3 months

very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back