Next step from Porta Pro
Oct 28, 2008 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

numtemnick

New Head-Fier
Hi, I own a Porta Pro to listen to my Zune, and I’m very happy with it, but now I’m ready to take the next step, so I’m looking for a successor of Porta Pro.

Following the suggestions in the “Headphone Buyer's Guide” I ended with 4 options:

Audio Technica ad500/700 ($100 and $130)

AKG 240S ($85)

Sennheiser hd555 ($95) Availalbe in 50 and 120 ohm versions.

Grado Sr80/sr125 ($95 and $149)

As you can see, I want an open headphone who works well unamped…

So, please help me choose between them, the one who is the next step from Porta Pro

By the way, I listen to jazz, classical, world music and a lot of percussion.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 10
you may want to reconsider the AKG 240s if you want to stay unamped. While it is ok unamped its not very sensitive compared to other phones. You could however amp it cheaply with the Fiio amp E3 or E5 when it comes out. My brother uses AKGs unamped and seems to like them ok, but has to crank the volume up high to get the same listening noise level as I do on my Q40's.

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #4 of 10
I feel the Grados are the next step up to the Portapros, especially if you have familiarized yourself with the Portapro sound. At first listen, they may be on the bright side, but the mids and highs are much better defined and the bass is punchier than the Portapro. The SR-80 is a nice starting point.

The only other headphone I've tried in that list is the AKG 240S and felt they needed amplification to really shine. The AKG sound stage and presentation is nice, although it lacks bass impact for my liking. If you plan to use it as a portable headphone, it's a bit unruly and big.

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 10
I would try the Grados.

I started with the PortaPros, went to the K240s, then went to Grado SR225. I like the Grado's much better for jazz / rock / percussion than the K240s.

The HD555 would be great for classical, but doesn't have the kind of impact I like when listening to drums in jazz / rock / metal music.

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would try the Grados.

I started with the PortaPros, went to the K240s, then went to Grado SR225. I like the Grado's much better for jazz / rock / percussion than the K240s.

I sort of second what the munkey says above. I went from the PortaPros/PX-100s to the Grado SR-60s and then to the 325i's. I've heard all types of music on the Grados (my tastes are rather eclectic, although my real love is rock, folk-rock, folk and americana) and simply fell in love with the Grado sound signature. The layered vocals and acoustic guitar strums never cease to give me goosebumps. Can't speak for the AKGs, but another big vote for the Grado SR-80s or 125s.

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 10
Please giveus your impressions of the grados. They are an excellent headphone for the money. I'd like your impressions as I often recommend these to folks with relatively small bank rolls, listen to a wide variety of music and and when an open phone will work.

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 10
Did you consider the Alessandro MS-1? They're more balanced than most Grados - you may prefer them for jazz, classical, world, and percussion.

When you're ready for another step and an amp, consider the AKG K-501 and the Sennheiser HD-600. Either will take you a long way towards the best there is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back