Next Step: Amp or Alessandro's???
Sep 2, 2007 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

cin__server

Head-Fier
my current setup is: alienware Sentia 12.1"-> Audigy 2 notebook->HD-465.

I am interested in maybe spending a little over $100 in the next few months. (work bonus). i am thinking of moving up in the world of Audio. as you can see this is my first post. i have been lurking here for a few months. i enjoy my Senns but want more detail. i can stand to loose some bass in my next purchase. i feel that an amp wont do too much for my ears. i have listened to my Harmon Kardon 2 channel amp with the hd465s and it didn't sound that much different. so i am really leaning to the Alessandro MS-1's.

but if someone can convince me that i will hear a difference with _______ amp, i may bite. this isnt a portable setup rather a movable one, so dont worry about that.

as for music selection, i listen to everything, from goo goo dolls to Juelz Santana, to Andrea Botcelli, to Hoobastank, to Yes. or if someone thinks i shold spend the $100 or so (i can flex up a bit) i am open to suggestions

Sep 2, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 19
For the music you listed, and for more detail I would probably go for a pair of Grado SR80 or the Alessandro MS-1's. I honestly don't think an amp is going to do much for you with your current cans.

Then from there I would recommend upgrading your source, either get a PCMCIA sound card like the Echo Indigo Dj, or get Amp/Usb DAC combo such as the Corda Move, or the Total Bithead.

Sep 3, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 19
If you live within the US, then either SR-80 or MS-1 would be a good choice at that.

If outside; the MS-1 would be less expensive.

Sep 3, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 19
well i have been thinking about it. i am thinking maybe some nice used HD580 should be added to the equation. I worry about Grado QC and comfort. i know this wont be an issue with Sennheiser as i have tried them on but haven't done any serious listening. how would they (the HD580) compare to the MS-1

Sep 3, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 19
When considering the HD 580s do remember they are a 300 ohm set of headphones. Therefore they will be much harder to drive with your current set up. A set of headphones with a lower ohm rating would serve you better without an amp. The Grados are a 32 ohm set and you would be able to drive them much better.

Sep 3, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by cin__server /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i have been thinking about it. i am thinking maybe some nice used HD580 should be added to the equation. I worry about Grado QC and comfort. i know this wont be an issue with Sennheiser as i have tried them on but haven't done any serious listening. how would they (the HD580) compare to the MS-1

They compare quite nicely. I usually use my HD600 more for the classical side of things, but they still work well for rock when that's the sound I'm looking for.

The MS-1 are much more forward sounding with a rather tight soundstage while the HD600(and HD580)are more laid back with a wider soundstage. The MS-1 are quite a bit brighter and more lively, the HD600/are no slouches when it comes to speed, but they are more relaxed. The MS-1 puts you on stage or in the studio with the performers while the HD580/600 puts you back just a couple rows.

The MS-1 is relatively happy without an amp, but the HD600/580 are much happier with one. They're not as picky as an HD650 about the amp choice however. I'm currently using an older Onkyo 5.1 receiver to power my cans and they both sound great with the high-current Grados and the high-voltage Senns each getting happily what they need.

TheGrado QC and comfort is often blown out of proportion to reality. While there are some folks who have problems with Grado QC; Grado is quick to assure satisfaction if they are notified of the problem. Comfort is a similar situation; I find my Alessandros to be equal in comfort to my HD600. And the Grados can have their headbands bent to make them fit properly; the same adjustment to the HD600/580 would put the listener in the market for the most expensive parts Senns sells.

The MS-1/MS2i and HD600/580 are beautiful complements to each other. I couldn't imagine living without both.

Sep 3, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When considering the HD 580s do remember they are a 300 ohm set of headphones. Therefore they will be much harder to drive with your current set up. A set of headphones with a lower ohm rating would serve you better without an amp. The Grados are a 32 ohm set and you would be able to drive them much better.

Hi Rick. Kat's mad.
mad.gif
She had Ocean Perch today; guess where they swam in from?
wink.gif

Rich.

....sorry; back to phones.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #9 of 19
Ok I am still new to Hi-Fi headphones but not home audio. as this is the case i realize how much "nice sound" costs and how much "great sound" costs. i guess I lucked out because i can not really hear a difference between them. (i was A/B-ing two pairs of paradigm the first was a monitor series and the other a Studio, the later being twice the price. i never heard a clear advantage for either) i am however unwilling to put more than ~$100 into a single piece of my setup. if this means buying used then so be it.

ok on to more questions, if i were to get an amp later on down the road... what amp should i get for ~$100 to power the hd580 if i get it???

are tubes out of the question?? i have always been intrigued by there unique sound sig and light show

if i bought the MS-1 used would grado still honor my warranty??

Sep 3, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Ok I am still new to Hi-Fi headphones but not home audio. as this is the case i realize how much "nice sound" costs and how much "great sound" costs. i guess I lucked out because i can not really hear a difference between them. (i was A/B-ing two pairs of paradigm the first was a monitor series and the other a Studio, the later being twice the price. i never heard a clear advantage for either) i am however unwilling to put more than ~$100 into a single piece of my setup. if this means buying used then so be it.

ok on to more questions, if i were to get an amp later on down the road... what amp should i get for ~$100 to power the hd580 if i get it???

are tubes out of the question?? i have always been intrigued by there unique sound sig and light show

if i bought the MS-1 used would grado still honor my warranty??

Working your questions backwards; When folks send their phones in for service it seems as though all Grado asks for is a simple note explaining the problem. I don't recall reading of much beyond that. Perhaps someone else has a better answer.

HD600 likes tubes!!(as well as SS) I believe there are some new imported tube amps in your price range, and certainly some used ones in the FS forum. The amp forum would be a good place to brouse for a more definitive answer. I'm in the middle of a tube battle myself. There's one amp in particular, and then there's another.....but, that's another story.
cool.gif

As far as speakers, the MS-1 sounds like my speakers in the stereo mode, and the HD600 sounds like my speakers in the surround mode with the sub and surrounds all engaged.

Perhaps Rick and I could point you to another speaker web-site and forum other than Paradigm!
icon10.gif

EDIT: Yup Rick; Kat likes the blues too!

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #14 of 19
my only concern is that i have senn-ears and they will hear the grado detail as harshness or over brightness. but i guess if i do not care for them i can sell them pretty quick

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

my only concern is that i have senn-ears and they will hear the grado detail as harshness or over brightness. but i guess if i do not care for them i can sell them pretty quick

Yup; I guess that will always be a concern, but it's true; they do sell pretty easily at that.

Of course, and I guess it doesn't need saying, but it may take a few hours to let them, and your ears, get used to each other, and they do get to sounding a bit better as the cans wear-in as well.

They seem to be a pretty safe bet however.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back