Next significant upgrade after the $1k DAC?
May 9, 2009 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

The Monkey

Monkey See, Monkey DAC
A really sick dud
It seems that $1k (used) is something of a sweet spot for DACs. I currently have the North Star m192 mk2 and the Electrocompaniet ECD-1. Both can be found used for ~ $900 - $1200. To me, each blows away the Benchmark DAC1 and Lavry DA10. My question is (are), what is the next level of DAC, the approximate price point (used), and the most significant area of improvement that can be expected?

May 9, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that $1k (used) is something of a sweet spot for DACs. I currently have the North Star m192 mk2 and the Electrocompaniet ECD-1. Both can be found used for ~ $900 - $1200. To me, each blows away the Benchmark DAC1 and Lavry DA10. My question is (are), what is the next level of DAC, the approximate price point (used), and the most significant area of improvement that can be expected?

Well, not everyone will agree that those 2 things are at the top of the $1000 food chain. Some people even argue that stuff under $1k will run with the big boys ($5k+).

Anyways, I noticed there's a lot of stuff in about the $2000-3000 range: Spectral SDR-2000, Audio Aero Capitole, Sonic Frontiers Processor 3, EMM non-SE... blah blah etc etc...

I kinda want one of those myself, but I'm actually waiting to see if Sony's gonna come out with a killer cheap new SACD player.
wink.gif

Edit: I think I've also seen the Pass DAC and Bidat go for about $3k.

May 13, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 11
i've been wanting to try the Kora Hermes and now I've found someone with a Hermes II for sale...

but i mustn't...the timing isn't right, unfortunately...

May 14, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 11
Are you going to Canjam? The only downside will be that I don't know how much time people will have to do critical listening with the Ref 1 there, let alone compare it to anything more serious than what you've already tried.

May 14, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Sonic Frontiers Processor 3...

don't forget the SFD-II Mk.III which is probably a little different sounding (P3 uses PMD100 with UltraAnalog DACs, and only one half each of four 6922s and an outboard power supply, D-2 Mk.III uses PMD200 with PCM1704 DACs, and both halves of two 6922s... D-2 Mk.II uses PMD100 and UltraAnalog with the same analogue section as Mk.III) but certainly on the same playing field. Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: I think I've also seen the Pass DAC and Bidat go for about $3k.

I got a Pass D1 to replace an early Benchmark DAC1 and the D1 smoked the Benchmark in every category.

May 14, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #10 of 11
I'm planning a Wadia (in the $5k-10k sect) as the next upgrade to replace ECD1. Perhaps the improvement in sound won't be the greatest thing but I sure appreciate the other assets of a CDP/SACD/DAC combo.

May 14, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm planning a Wadia (in the $5k-10k sect) as the next upgrade to replace ECD1. Perhaps the improvement in sound won't be the greatest thing but I sure appreciate the other assets of a CDP/SACD/DAC combo.

Just buy a high end music server/music player. If you're spending $10,000 makes sense to have more storage than a DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back