Next project EHHA?
Aug 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #16 of 19
Too much gain for headphones.  You're better off getting custom transformers too, for the needed impedance.  It's better to build a circuit specifically than to try and take a generic kit meant for speakers.

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:
Too much gain for headphones.  You're better off getting custom transformers too, for the needed impedance.  It's better to build a circuit specifically than to try and take a generic kit meant for speakers.

Nah, you can add some resistors in and it will work just fine. That is how my current amp works. It is a full blown speaker amp, with an adapter. It works with anything from ATH-AD700s all the way up to the LCD2/3 and HE-6 

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Nah, you can add some resistors in and it will work just fine. That is how my current amp works. It is a full blown speaker amp, with an adapter. It works with anything from ATH-AD700s all the way up to the LCD2/3 and HE-6 

It's a waste of power when the bulk of current goes through the resistors.  It's a hack.

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:
Better ones exist. 

Quote:
My friend and I just finished a 350B amp fed by two 6SL7 tubes and it sounds a heck of a lot better than the EHHA. I have a little speaker amp to headphone converter and it makes my HD600s sound super warm and lush

have you ever stopped to consider that "better" does not equate to " super warm and lush" to everyone . The EHHA is a fast and dynamic sounding amp which is able to deliver a real world punch while maintaining control of the driver. While I agree that there are amps out there that can do this too, I would not call any 300B which can be built for less than $1000 one of them. To get a DHT circuit to sing , you need expensive OPT and attention to your power supply - ~ $2.5K would be a better estimate with careful part sourcing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back