Next pair of headphones to add to my HD650's...?
Mar 16, 2020 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Figjam-NYC

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I love the Head-Fi forum and I've lurked here for many years.

My question is for a recommendation for the next headphones to add to my collection for some variety/comparison.

I currently have a pair of Senn HD650's paired with a Chord Mojo, playing music through Qobuz Studio.

I'm very, very happy with this setup and plan to keep. I am interested, however, in adding another pair (or 2) into the mix as alternatives.
I recently tried a pair of Denon AH-MM400EM through the mojo and really didn't like them. Found them massively bass forward. Almost unlistenable for me. Not my style at all.

I guess I'm looking for a pair of headphones that are a bit more 'exciting' thank the HD650's. Does that make sense? Perhaps a bit more energy? Comfort is a factor too - I sit at my computer and listen for hours while I'm working. Open back is fine as I work from home a lot, but closed is totally fine too. I don't know planars - never tried them....

Budget upto $500.

Any thoughts and help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Francis

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 17
Have you considered a closed back to reduce background noise while listening? If not, cool. However if you have, I'd suggest the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow closed model. IMO they sound similar to the Sennheisr HD line.

Mar 16, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 17
Hello all,

My question is for a recommendation for the next headphones to add to my collection for some variety/comparison.

I currently have a pair of Senn HD650's paired with a Chord Mojo, playing music through Qobuz Studio.

I'm very, very happy with this setup and plan to keep. I am interested, however, in adding another pair (or 2) into the mix as alternatives.
I recently tried a pair of Denon AH-MM400EM through the mojo and really didn't like them. Found them massively bass forward. Almost unlistenable for me. Not my style at all.

I guess I'm looking for a pair of headphones that are a bit more 'exciting' thank the HD650's. Does that make sense? Perhaps a bit more mid/high forward and with some more energy. Comfort is a factor too - I sit at my computer and listen for hours while I'm working. Open back is fine as I work from home a lot.

Budget upto $500.

Cheers, Francis

Do you prefer dynamic or magneplanar headphones? If you like the Beyerdynamic sound, consider Massdrop DT 177X GO for closed back or the DT 1990 for open back. These might sound more “exciting” to you. The Massdrop Focal Elex is another option.

Mar 17, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 17
Maybe give Beyerdynamic DT 880 250/600 Ohm a try? They are fairly cheap, and to my mind they are a proper introduction to a "Beyerdynamic sound" (other call it "peak"). They are definitely brighter than HD650, but I don't find them fatiguing. Comfort is praised by lot of people, but as with every headphone, your mileage may vary. Also, if you like EQ, the DT880s respond rather well and can easily be EQd to your liking without sacrificing their Beyerdynamic "character".

The other headphones you could try are AKG K712 or the often overlooked K612. I haven't owned any of these, so can't really compare them with either HD650 or DT880, but it seems that people usually recommend them from AKG open-back lineup.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks everyone! I was always a bit stuck on open back thinking I'd get a better sound stage, but obviously not! :)

Beyerdynamics - never had the chance to listen to them, so not familiar with the sound - great advice, thank you - might start out with a slightly less expensive pair to try the sound.

Mr S's Aeon Flow is very interesting to me. I've read a good few reviews. Tempting!

And the AKG's - also of interest, thanks for nudging me in that direction. (I had an old pair of AKG K271s (pre-DAC))

Mar 17, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 17
Thanks everyone! I was always a bit stuck on open back thinking I'd get a better sound stage, but obviously not! :)

Beyerdynamics - never had the chance to listen to them, so not familiar with the sound - great advice, thank you - might start out with a slightly less expensive pair to try the sound.

Mr S's Aeon Flow is very interesting to me. I've read a good few reviews. Tempting!not

And the AKG's - also of interest, thanks for nudging me in that direction. (I had an old pair of AKG K271s (pre-DAC))

If you want to try out the Beyerdynamic sound w/o a really big investment, I would consider the DT770 (closed), DT880 (semi-open), or DT990 (open). The sound is not very smooth and romantic like the HD650s are, rather they have prominent bass and treble, and the treble can sound fatiguing to some who are really sensitive, but they do respond very well to EQ adjustments. The sound is fast, accurate, and revealing. If considering planars, the Audeze LCD-1 and Aeon are options, and for a budget consideration, the Drop HE4XX. I don’t own any AKGs, but reportedly they have a huge soundstage. The Beyers are the most “exciting” though.

Mar 18, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 17
A closed back would be a nice contrast to the 650. I'm currently in love with the E-MU Teak. Affordable, tonally excellent, and lots of fun to listen to.

Mar 18, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #8 of 17
There are a lot of Beyerdynamic recommendations in this thread. I've owned the DT 1990 for a couple of years, and have had extended use of the Massdrop HD 650 (same as the Sennheisers). To me the HD 650 and DT 1990 have a broadly similar sound, but the 1990 is just better, better.

For a sound that is truly different than the HD 650 I recommend the Grado RS2e or GH4. The Grados are much more dynamic and open sounding, with less mid-bass emphasis. Both sound better than the Senns to me, and several of my audiophile friends agree. Also, the on-ear fit and light clamp pressure can be a relief after a long session with circumaural cups.

I own the GH4, have had extended use of a friend's RS2e, and have compared them directly. The GH4 has slightly better bass, the RS2e has a slightly more revealing treble. I don't have a clear preference, it depends on the music that's playing. If these two are too expensive, I recommend the GH3.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #9 of 17
I can vouch for the Beyers too. They are excellent.

Mar 18, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 17
I went from HD598 to Hifiman Sundara. I found it v-shaped in compare to HD598, but still sound natural.
In terms of comfort, I didn't like DT1990 because I found the clamping force to be too strong for me. Amiron Home was a good alternative but out of my budget.

Mar 21, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 17
I haven't heard the Sundara but I think planars can be a nice sidegrade to HD6 series. I found the LCD-2C a great compliment. Probably more than the OP wants to spend but the HD6 series is not cheap to get a true upgrade from. Sometimes a better amp can be better than a different pair of headphones.

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #12 of 17
Hello everyone - big thanks for all the advice.

One thing that has come up is that being isolated at home my wife is noticing how the sound leaks from my HD 650's - so I think I should be looking for a pair of closed back to add to my collection next.

I guess I'm looking for a sound that is more exciting than the HD650's - something to compare against. Different.

So, mentioned in the thread so far are: Beyer DT770's or DT177X GO , E-MU Teak or Mr S's Aeon Flow.

Any thoughts on the above narrowed choices or any further additions?

Huge appreciation to all!

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #13 of 17
Hello all,

I guess I'm looking for a pair of headphones that are a bit more 'exciting' thank the HD650's. Does that make sense? Perhaps a bit more energy? Comfort is a factor too - I sit at my computer and listen for hours while I'm working. Open back is fine as I work from home a lot, but closed is totally fine too. I don't know planars - never tried them....

Budget upto $500.

Cheers, Francis
Focal Elex is basically a more exciting HD650. They sound amazingly fun and energetic, I preferred them to the LCD2C.

Apr 12, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 17
Happy Easter everyone! So, a turn in the road - with the stay-at-home necessity of current weeks, my open backed HD650's are causing a bit of concern in the house - leaking sound too much. So it seems I really need to get a pair of closed back headphones. Still looking for more excitement than the HD650s.

So what's it to be?
  • Aeon Flow closed
  • Beyer DT 177X GO
  • Audioquest NightOwl closed
Thanks for everyone's input. Sadly open or semi-open in not currently an option for peacekeeping!

Best, F

Apr 12, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 17
I have the Aeon Flow closed with the Mojo, great synergy and is reported to be a favorite combo of Mr. Watts (Chord Day Master). You probably can get a great deal on a used model as folks are selling theirs to upgrade to the AF2. I have seen them on eBay and other places in the $500 range. With the three filters you are able to tune the headphone to your liking.

Happy Easter to you too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back