Next pair of cans
Nov 2, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #16 of 98
I’m about a year and a half in to being a lite-audiophile. Although kinda new to this, I’ve owned Grado SR-60s for over 20 years and 80i’s for about 5. Last year when I took the plunge officially, I bought a FiiO X3 ii, Schiit Vali 2, Genelex Golden Lion 12ax7 and a pair of HIFIMAN HE-400i’s.

Although I’m loving the HIFIMANs and don’t find myself dabbling with Grado’s too much anymore because of the piercing highs, I’m wonder what are the next must-have cans I should add to my collection. I keep seeing the popular AKG K7XX and Sennheiser HD-650s (HD-6XX on Massdrop) in my searches. Would one of those more so than the other be the way to go?

What type of music do you like? What about the Grados and 400i do you like?Budget?

^^^ He's right. I've owned both the 701's and the 650's, and here is my verdict:

If you like analytical sounding headphones, get the 650

If you like fun sounding headphones, get the 701

Huh?

:confused:

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #17 of 98
I must be the only person that did not enjoy the sound of the HD650's... Oh well. The Hd650's seemed more "true to the track" if that makes sense. No harsh treble or anything that I noticed. The Q701's provided my ears with a more enjoyable listening experience. Seems like these headphones are definitely subject to multiple opinions.

Nov 2, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #18 of 98
I must be the only person that did not enjoy the sound of the HD650's... Oh well. The Hd650's seemed more "true to the track" if that makes sense. No harsh treble or anything that I noticed. The Q701's provided my ears with a more enjoyable listening experience. Seems like these headphones are definitely subject to multiple opinions.
All headphones are subject to multiple opinions. Thru a Bottlehead Crack the 650’s are very good from others ... Just depends on what your looking for.

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #19 of 98
As others have said, it depends on where you want to go from here:
I love the HE400i's, and despite a pair of Sennheiser HD800 sitting right in front of me, I use the He400i instead.
If you like the fun of the Grado's but want to lose some of the harsh treble, the E-MU Teak or TH-x00 Mahogany might be worth looking into. The TH-x00 still have a bit of a harsh treble though.

Based only on your interest in the HE400i, which to my ears is closer to neutral than not, with an extended base, and forward vocals, you might like Mr Speaker's planar magnetic offerings. Hifiman's own HEX v2 might not be a bad idea either.A lot of it honestly depends on whether you're looking to expand your options or improve what you have, and how much you're willing to spend to do it.

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #20 of 98
Just get the new HD660s :wink:

Let's (finally) hope so.

It appears Sennheiser loves playing games with model after model trying to get it right; clearly this is not the same company that started out ages ago.
... HD-650, HD-600 HD-660, HD-800, HD-800S and a crap-load of other models. What a headache inducing line-up. More so, considering we have talk (accurate) of "dull", "warm", "laid-back". That would be fine for $100. cans -not $4/5/$600. + models. Expect the best at these prices; neutral-accurate, highly resolving, open, extended, engaging, musical. In fact, consider the Hifiman 400i if you wish to know what can be expected in/around $300-$500 range. (In fact, I believe I saw a sale price of $249.00 US$ ! -Nov, 2017).

After one listen, this wavering love affair with Senheisser will end -abruptly.

pj

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #21 of 98
Let's (finally) hope so.

It appears Sennheiser loves playing games with model after model trying to get it right; clearly this is not the same company that started out ages ago.
... HD-650, HD-600 HD-660, HD-800, HD-800S and a ****-load of other models. What a headache inducing line-up. More so, considering we have talk (accurate) of "dull", "warm", "laid-back". That would be fine for $100. cans -not $4/5/$600. + models. Expect the best at these prices; neutral-accurate, highly resolving, open, extended, engaging, musical. In fact, consider the Hifiman 400i if you wish to know what can be expected in/around $300-$500 range. (In fact, I believe I saw a sale price of $249.00 US$ ! -Nov, 2017).

After one listen, this wavering love affair with Senheisser will end -abruptly.

pj

I'm not sure what your point is. You don't consider HD600 one of the best in the $200 range?

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #22 of 98
As others have said, it depends on where you want to go from here:
I love the HE400i's, and despite a pair of Sennheiser HD800 sitting right in front of me, I use the He400i instead.
If you like the fun of the Grado's but want to lose some of the harsh treble, the E-MU Teak or TH-x00 Mahogany might be worth looking into. The TH-x00 still have a bit of a harsh treble though.

Based only on your interest in the HE400i, which to my ears is closer to neutral than not, with an extended base, and forward vocals, you might like Mr Speaker's planar magnetic offerings. Hifiman's own HEX v2 might not be a bad idea either.A lot of it honestly depends on whether you're looking to expand your options or improve what you have, and how much you're willing to spend to do it.

squee116: You said it perfectly (and accurately): " Based only on your interest in the HE400i, which to my ears is closer to neutral than not, with an extended base, and forward vocals".

Very good listening observations. I'd go on to say not only the vocal range but all instruments in this critical 100-Hz to 5-KHz. bandwidth (or 100 Hz. to 2/3-KHz.) are reproduced accurately (i.e. 'forward' as you say). An excellent headphone; SQ, fit, comfort. Simply put, the overall design is impressive -and nowhere near the price of a Sennheiser HD-800 (that it easily surpasses).

" ...I love the HE400i's, and despite a pair of Sennheiser HD800 sitting right in front of me, I use the He400i instead."

As I would !

pj

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #24 of 98
I thought I saw the HD-600 here n Ontario, Canada priced in the $500-$600.00 Canadian dollar price range. Below seems to mirror this.
Therefore, in this price range, it's a bland offering. Also keep this in mind; the HD-800 gets easily out-performed by the Hifiman 400i's. Why bother looking further (under $1K) ?

It one prefers a different type of sound, I completely understand, in which case there are many 'colored/coloration' (i.e. muffled) makes/models in the entry-level price point.

Or, you can consider the excellent Koss 'Port-Pro' (portable headphone) for both technical excellence, comfort and amazing sound quality -$75.00 !

pj

Sennheiser HD 600 Open Dynamic Hi-Fi Professional Stereo Headphones (Black)

by Sennheiser
CDN$ 507.00.

Nov 4, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #26 of 98
HD600 prices have been coming down, as have HD650. I'm waiting to get my pair in before rendering judgment twixt the two. I will say the Sennheiser has a place, but it's a niche use for me, and I've heard other cans I'm saving for that ring my bells in the same way, but better. STAX SR009, here I come...

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #27 of 98
HD600 prices have been coming down, as have HD650. I'm waiting to get my pair in before rendering judgment twixt the two. I will say the Sennheiser has a place, but it's a niche use for me, and I've heard other cans I'm saving for that ring my bells in the same way, but better. STAX SR009, here I come...

As it should come down in price -Senn's.

Good call on the Stax; now that's a company with a rich history of some highly regarded models. I'm not sure if some of HIfiman's compete in the uber-class, but may be worth a listen before you plunk down large ...

pj

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #28 of 98
Haven't heard the Susvara, but the H1k's didn't do it for me.

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #29 of 98
I am not a big fan of the polite,narrow sound of the HD600s,though I understand their appeal and staying power in the hobby,but...I can say with definite confidence that the HD250 is one of my top 3 favorite headphones Ive ever owned,and Ive owned a few.

Nov 5, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #30 of 98
I am not a big fan of the polite,narrow sound of the HD600s,though I understand their appeal and staying power in the hobby,but...I can say with definite confidence that the HD250 is one of my top 3 favorite headphones Ive ever owned,and Ive owned a few.

Now this is the thing I love to hear : " ... the HD250 is one of my top 3 favorite headphones Ive ever owned,and Ive owned a few "

Are these current, older ?

pj

P.S. Sennheiser had some truly fantastic models in the past (and likely one currently as well ! lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back