Next headphones after K701's
Jun 30, 2008 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

xFih2

Head-Fier
My birthday is coming up, and I decided to join this forum, so hey, why not get another pair of headphones! I currently have the K701's and will be adding to it.
biggrin.gif

I have been trying to decide between the RS1's and the 650's. The price of the RS1's kind of make me feel sick thinking of buying $695 headphones that I'm not even sure I will like, especially since I could get the 650's at half the price and possibly like them more.

This time around, I want something that is a nice change. I listen to mainly hip-hop and modern rock. I think my music preferences are quite different from the average head-fier from what I have read, but I'll list some just in case. For hip-hop and rap, there is Hieroglyphics, Jedi Mind Tricks, Army of the Pharaohs, Immortal Technique, Jurassic 5 and Kanye. Rock varies more, from slow to fast to heavy. Darkest Hour, Death Cab, Thrice, Weezer, The Kooks, Jimmy Eat World, In Flames, etc.

A big factor is bass. I already have a very detailed can that excels at a lot of things, but bass amount is not one of them. How does the bass compare between the RS1 and the 650? From what I take it, the 650 has a good amount of bass and the RS1 is more involving. I have absolutely no experience with the two headphones, but it seems like the 650 would be better for hip-hop and the RS1 better for rock.

My gear: Laptop using foobar, USB to Max'd Desktop with Max DAC using the Headroom DPS, so I think I have a pretty nice rig (okay, not comparatively to others, but not bad).

Sorry if this is somewhat repeated in previous threads, but I'm not sure if I have ever seen someone comparing these headphones using my gear and the type of music I listen to. And no, I have no stores close to me where I can try them out
frown.gif
Thanks for the help!

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 12
Wow, based on your musical prefs, I'm not suprised you want something else after the 701's. Great phones, just not for that stuff. The 650's are great, but I wouldn't call them "hip hop" phones either. If you want great bass, I'd recommend the Denon D2000. I have the 650's, and they do a lot of things amazingly well, but for the stuff you mention, I always opt for the Denons. Very engaging and visceral, fun, lively, fast, and they excel at rock/rap/hiphop/metal...

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 12
From what you described, Denons might be a good road to go down (modded or otherwise). I have both HD650s and Grado sr225s, and while I love them both, im currently favoring the HD650s. While they do rock surprisingly well, im not sure about HipHop. My hiphop collection consists of a mos def, blue scholars, streets and brother ali cd, so im probably not the best judge. I would look into the MD5000 (is that the right name?) thread, it sounds like what your looking for.

Jun 30, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 12
I am sympathetic to your search for another set of cans. I too have and love the k701 for what they do well, but I decided to get another pair to complement them. Given that the k701 is open, with less emphasis on the Bass, I went looking for a closed, more bass heavy pair of headphones. I've settled on the Beyer 770 pro (250), which I am enjoying right now out of a Creek OBH-11. They are everything the k701 isn't.

-Noah

Jun 30, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 12
Get the RS-1. It should be a good fit for your tastes.

Instead of a new one, look for a used pair here or at Audiogon. I think I paid $500 for mine. Yeah, it's a lot of money, but you won't regret it once you hear them.

The HD-650 is great, but the RS-1 is the definition of fun. You'll love them with your music.

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 12
Hmm, now I'm thinking more between the D-5000 and the RS-1. I know the RS-1 would be killer for rock and would be a really fun phone to have, and it's easy to drive. I've heard the D-2000/5000 have really good bass, and it's closed which is a nice plus for my dorm. How is the bass of the RS-1 compared to the K701? I think if there's a significant increase in bass, and knowing how fun they are, it may be the one to go with if I can manage to convince myself to use the money to buy it.
tongue.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by xFih2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the bass of the RS-1 compared to the K701? I think if there's a significant increase in bass, and knowing how fun they are, it may be the one to go with if I can manage to convince myself to use the money to buy it.
tongue.gif

Roughly: RS1 have a significant midbass hump, not so refined highs and smaller soundstage (which is not so important with your musical preferences).

Jul 1, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #9 of 12
I'd regard a D2000 or a D5000 rather as a sidegrade or a downgrade from a K701. My vote also for the Grado (or the Alessandro MS Pro).

Jul 1, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #10 of 12
Yup another vote for Grado!

Jul 1, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #11 of 12
I would give the Grado's a shot. I really liked my K701's (still do) but prefer my G1000's and RS1's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back