Next AKG flagship?
Jun 30, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #61 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have dedicated a little more time and invested a little more interest in the K 1000 if I could have worn it for more than 30 seconds.

less comfortable than K701, thats gotta be something
bigsmile_face.gif
it eludes why make an uncomfortable headphones though, especially if it is supposed to be a flagship. i hear K601 have no issues with comfort, so why change the headband. i would rather take smaller grip on head and good comfort than vice versa.

yesterday i was listening for about 2 hours. few hours later i touch the top of my head and it hurt. same this morning. i think i'm going to be left with permanent damages after few years with K701
frown.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #62 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
less comfortable than K701, thats gotta be something
bigsmile_face.gif
it eludes why make an uncomfortable headphones though, especially if it is supposed to be a flagship. i hear K601 have no issues with comfort, so why change the headband. i would rather take smaller grip on head and good comfort than vice versa.

yesterday i was listening for about 2 hours. few hours later i touch the top of my head and it hurt. same this morning. i think i'm going to be left with permanent damages after few years with K701
frown.gif

You can cut the bumps, or just cover them up.

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #63 of 69
My understanding is that K701 and K1000 both divide people into comfy and uncomfy camps. I'm so relieved the K1000 works the comfortable way on me. If I had tried it only 30 seconds, I'd have said the same thing as JaZZ. So K1000 is either very uncomfortable or it's the most comfortable can in the world.

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #64 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD800 isn't just a typical dynamic headphone. It's an entirely new transducer design that is extremely fast. I'm sure the guys at AKG will come up with something good though.

No it isnt. This technology has been used in speakers before. The driver sure is new, but the tech isnt.
It's new to headphones, and that is it.
Propaganda..

@ progo, I think it has to do with the clamp force and if you are used to a large clamping force or not. I think "most comfortable headphone in the word" is a bit of a stretch though, unless you have huge ears that circumaurals from ATH wont go around.

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #65 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least we can agree that the character of AKG shifted with the 601/701 line. I think that happened around the time that AKG was bought by (IIRC) Harmon.

As for a new flagship, you have to wonder if the new corporate masters who killed the K-1000 would allow a radical new design or if they're just going to reheat the leftovers.

Not to change the topic, but the company I'd love to see release a "statement" headphone is Beyerdynamic. I really like their products and think they could take a big swing at Sennheiser and AKG if they tried.

Thats what i'm afraid of.I really hope they dont give us another 701 variation with a paint job.I've been loyal to the brand, but they must now show that they are committed to remain amongst the elite, and that they can match their competitors in every department.

Jul 1, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #66 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ progo, I think it has to do with the clamp force and if you are used to a large clamping force or not. I think "most comfortable headphone in the word" is a bit of a stretch though, unless you have huge ears that circumaurals from ATH wont go around.

No, in the summer heats even the largest but yet circumaural cans will be uncomfortable after a while. The K1000s simply won't do that. And their ability to make music come from nowhere (whether it is a SQ-wise or comfortable-wise feature...) seriously credits to comfiness. I do feel certain clamp there but I happen to have a larger head than most. It'll fade away, too.

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #67 of 69
I'd love to see a ca. $1000 AKG (or Beyer) to compete with the HD 800 rather than simply a nice improvement on the K701. I love my 701s, despite their compromises, for the classical, jazz, and other acoustic music that I mostly listen to. BTW I have no comfort problem with the headband. To be of interest to me a new AKG model will need to be a big jump to a higher tier of SQ resolution and neutrality. Else, I may have to give the HD 800s a try next year when, hopefully, the price comes down.

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #68 of 69
Its kind of strange because Harman/Kardon usually presents a strong dynamic bass in their line of equipment. Then you have all the expertise in all the smaller companies owned by Harman, you would think the top of the line AKG would kick ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back