NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC
Sep 1, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #901 of 1,072
Could be a problem with the USB-cable. Does it show up if you wiggle the connector and/or the cable (either on the Macs side or the Explorers end)? I had a similar issue with my Leckerton and was able to resolve it by replacing the cable (no, nothing fancy, any working cable will do).

I end up having to restart my imac. Could be my imac. Don't know.

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #902 of 1,072
I'm on 10.8 and do have issues reconnecting - what I do is go to Preferences -> Sound and select the Meridian Explorer, which may not be selected.

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #903 of 1,072
Its selected on my preferences but just does not work sometimes until I restart my iMac.  Weird. 

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #905 of 1,072
has anyone got a chance to compare ME to HiFace DAC? HiFace DAC (orange) is selling at same cost as ME.

[size=small]ProgJazz Andrew[/size][size=small] on Amazon says:[/size]

[size=small]"By now I have three competing compact USB DACs: AQ Dragonfly ($250), Meridian Explorer ($300), and M2Tech hiFace DAC ($300). Each is a fine product for what it is claimed to do (except for the deceiving appearance of M2Tech - see below). Sonically, Dragonfly is falling behind the rest. Of the other two, when used as a line level DAC driving a regular stereo system, the difference was like splitting hair. The following key words may give you an idea about what the differences are:[/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Meridian Explorer: smooth, rich, bigger sound stage, deeper bass[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]M2Tech hiFace: clarity, better definition, neutral, transparent[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Again, these words are just relative terms between the two. It doesn't mean that the M2Tech is harsh, or the Meridian blurry. I could choose either one for the line level performance alone.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]However, there is one big caveat for the M2Tech. If you're like me, by the look of the product thinking that this was made for your earphones, think again! Unlike the Dragonfly, the M2Tech does not have a built-in headphone amp, so it cannot drive usual earphones/headphones to a sufficiently loud level. It was not sufficient for my B&W C5, P3, and Sennheiser PMX-685, none of which can be considered a difficult load. After communicating with M2Tech, I learned about this and also found out that it is indeed stated in the manual. But when you buy the product, the box contains the bare unit only without any documentation! M2Tech should make this point very clear on the product front page. If the product was designed to be used as a line stage DAC for the stereo system, why does it have to be packaged in such a tiny dongle? IMO the packaging is clearly misleading and should be regarded as an ill-conceived design.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]In summary, sonically it is a fine product for a line level DAC in its price range. If your main use is to drive a line level pre/integrated amp, by all means give it a try. If you intend to use it as a line level as well as for headphone listening, Meridian Explorer for the same price will give you the same level of quality (yet slightly different) sound, and it also has a separate headphone amp to drive your earphones loud. If the Meridian is still too bulky and cumbersome and you just need a cool tiny solution (with fancy color changes), the Dragonfly will drive your headphones to the maximum loudness with rich and full sound (still high quality if not as refined compared to the other two).[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]All things considered, the hiFace DAC serves as an example of bad engineering design, as there is no real merit for such a compact packaging unless it is capable of portable headphone listening. To be used as a line level DAC exclusively, the hiFace DAC is a competent, but not much superior, performer among its peers, at least not to the level to justify its price compared to so many other full function DACs with a dedicated power supply with more inputs, and even with a volume control (iFi, Micromega, Schiit, Musical Fidelity, etc. - this is a competitive market!)."[/size]

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #907 of 1,072
  with ios 7, iphone now works with dacs like ipad.  It works with meridian explorer.

Where did you get the Mini USB to Lightning cable?  Is it MFI certified? 

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #908 of 1,072
I have iPhone 4 with 30 pin.  I got it at Apple store.
I also have iPad with lightening which worked before.  But now the iPhone works too.  

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #910 of 1,072
I read this with great interest. Do you need the Camera Connector kit or just a Dock connector-to-MiniB USB cable? Where might I find such a cable? Does it work without a powered USB hub, like an iPad would need from the USB Camera Connector?

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #911 of 1,072
Yeah...you need the Camera Connector Kit, Dr. Botte T3Hub and USB Powered Hub.  You need all three to make it work.  But the iPhone does work with CCK now work with the iOS 7.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #912 of 1,072
Yeah...you need the Camera Connector Kit, Dr. Botte T3Hub and USB Powered Hub.  You need all three to make it work.  But the iPhone does work with CCK now work with the iOS 7.

I just tried it with my iPhone 5 running iOS 7 and Lightning to USB adaptor. It didn't work.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #913 of 1,072
As I said, you have to add the Dr. Bott T3Hub.  I don't know why but there must be another non-power USB device for it to work.  The Dr. Bott T3hub works to fool the iOS to think that it's not drawing the power.
I just tried it with my iPhone 5 running iOS 7 and Lightning to USB adaptor. It didn't work.

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #914 of 1,072

Having a powered USB hub may inject noise into the system and also makes the setup kinda pointless because it's no longer portable.  I guess I'll just stick with the Apogee ONE for iOS.  That unit sounds amazing already and it runs off a pair of AA batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back