NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC
Jul 15, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #871 of 1,072
Sensitive IEM are pretty all OK with integrated laptop soundcard, and don't need further amplifications... Having tried the HD650 on my laptop, the sound was anemic and seriously needed the explorer.

That doesn't sounds pathetic but that is far from the original cabale tone that was going around here thx to the plotters.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #872 of 1,072
How much $ $ ?

Jul 22, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #874 of 1,072
Does this require ALSA driver version 1.0.23 or higher or is it 1.0.32 or higher? I checked with Ubuntu's ALSA version and it is 1.0.25 for Raring Ringtail and the forthcoming Saucy Salamander. According to the Meridian website, they list ALSA version 1.0.23 or higher. ALSA version 1.0.32 is not even mentioned on the ALSA website yet. I'm confused because people are saying that Meridian has a typo error, but I doubt that is the case because the ALSA website does not list anything higher than version 1.0.27 which is in development right now.

Has anyone tried the Meridian Explorer with Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit Raring Ringtail? Do I have to use alsamixer in the terminal by pressing F6 to select the device and set the volume level? How do I configure Clementine or Rythmbox or DeadBeef to use the Meridian Explorer?

Should I consider the CEntrance DACPort as an alternative? I know it will work with the Raring Ringtail, but it does not offer 24 bit 192 kHz resolution.

Aug 5, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #876 of 1,072
Interesting - not finding any information on where this departs from the Explorer. In other words, what's the difference / benefit etc.

Aug 10, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #882 of 1,072
Hi, im new to this board and also only just starting to get into this hobby. To start I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD598 and playing through my macbook pro with iTunes. Was thinking of getting the ME as the next step. Just wondering if anyone else has used the HD598 with the Explorer? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back