NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC
Mar 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #693 of 1,072
Quote:

I'm thinking of buying the explorer to go with the Ultrasone Ed-8 (30 Ohm impedance). Would you consider it a decent match?

From a purely spec standpoint based on general wisdom (8x multiplier output impedance vs. headphone impedance) around these parts, you would generally want something at 40 ohms or greater.

I have a couple Ed-8s and will have a revised ME coming in soon... if you want to wait I'll do a comparison between it, the dragonfly, and the microstreamer.  

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #695 of 1,072
Quote:

From a purely spec standpoint based on general wisdom (8x multiplier output impedance vs. headphone impedance) around these parts, you would generally want something at 40 ohms or greater.

I have a couple Ed-8s and will have a revised ME coming in soon... if you want to wait I'll do a comparison between it, the dragonfly, and the microstreamer.  

Fantastic, bobeau. I would love to wait a few days and see what you think. It would help me, and I'm sure others too, tremendously.

Pardon the repeat guys -- has there been anyone able to make the Meridian Explorer work with an Android phone?

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #697 of 1,072
Quote:
I've been using revised ME since Thursday. Preparing to move so have main audio system packed away. Going from $25K+ main system to very modest headphone system: Thinkpad (dBpoweramp/JRiver 18) > ME (stock USB cable) > Sennheiser HD600 (stock headphone cable) and not much of a step down from my main system. HDTrack's Ellington Afro Bossa 192/24 download nice but have more than a few regular old 44.1/16 ripped files with SQ nearly as satisfying through the ME.

OK - I'll bite - what do you have in the '25K main system' that you can replace with less than 3K (including the Thinkpad) worth of readily available electronics  ? I'm a big fan of the the VFM equation offered by headphones, but you must be missing the sheer scale of a speaker rig ? 

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #699 of 1,072
OK - you've got more in your power conditioner alone than many of us have in our entire rig - I can see how easy it would be to spend 25K there. My plan is to spend 10K next year and walk away - yeah, we all know how that goes, but it gives me a line in the sand. Biggest danger is the exponential rate at which new DACs seem to appear on the horizon, but that is unlikely to slow down anytime soon.  

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #700 of 1,072
Quote:
OK - you've got more in your power conditioner alone than many of us have in our entire rig - I can see how easy it would be to spend 25K there. My plan is to spend 10K next year and walk away - yeah, we all know how that goes, but it gives me a line in the sand. Biggest danger is the exponential rate at which new DACs seem to appear on the horizon, but that is unlikely to slow down anytime soon.  

I run Maggie MMGs into an old Onkyo 805 (those things were quite overbuilt, with a pretty decent Wolfson DAC and push alot of clean power at 4 ohms).  I don't have the ideal room situation by far, but I take care to give them enough space (about 36" from the rear wall), not too close to corners, use Audessey from the 805 to EQ to room, then bump the sub bass 3 db.  Total = $1k and I'm consistently amazed.  

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #702 of 1,072
Let me guess - you have the good fortune to be born in the CONUS, right ? Gotta love the guys who wont even ship their gear - quite a few on AK drive for hours to find that a component isn't quite as '8/9' as the seller had led them to believe - caveat emptor, I guess. Sounds like you've been lucky - more power to you, indeed.  :D

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #704 of 1,072
Quick question guys,

How competent would you think the ME would be in driving a couple low-tier bookshelf speakers? (for example http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/s30-bookshelf-speaker)

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #705 of 1,072
Quick question guys,

How competent would you think the ME would be in driving a couple low-tier bookshelf speakers? (for example http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/s30-bookshelf-speaker)

Without an integrated amp, terribly :wink: But with one, just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back